PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Questions (with apologies)

qe3
09-14-2012, 02:43 PM
I am new to the site, but I was directed by a friend who is unfortunately out of the country and unreachable. Can someone please tell me the following:
Is there a way to search either current or completed auctions for specific players or grades?

Thanks,

Wayne

rainier2004
09-14-2012, 02:57 PM
There is VCP but I am too cheap to pay for that service so Ill let others fill you in. On ebay there is a "completed listing" tab on the left hand side after you conduct a search. Then there is my method which involves pen, paper and constant survelliance...I guess this method doesnt help too much at the moment.

Matthew H
09-14-2012, 03:02 PM
http://www.vintagecardprices.com/ is a good site if your willing to pay for the info.

wazoo
09-14-2012, 03:08 PM
Card Target is a pretty good website as well. A few issues, but still quite accurate.

qe3
09-14-2012, 05:18 PM
Thanks, but I meant on THIS site. Is there a way to look through old auctions on net54 by category/ grading company/ player?

I was told this site is a good alternative to ebay with repsect to auctions. Clearly, the audience is not as massive, but I would rather have 100 of the right people than 1,000,000 random folks.

09-14-2012, 05:24 PM
Thanks, but I meant on THIS site. Is there a way to look through old auctions on net54 by category/ grading company/ player?

I was told this site is a good alternative to ebay with repsect to auctions. Clearly, the audience is not as massive, but I would rather have 100 of the right people than 1,000,000 random folks.

Nope, the BST (Buy/Sell/Trade) is not organized like that.

Deertick
09-14-2012, 09:28 PM
I would rather have 100 of the right people than 1,000,000 random folks.

Hmmm, there are a lot of dumb people with money in a 1M person subset. :D

tonyo
09-15-2012, 05:34 AM

You could try using the search function, I think advanced search will let you narrow down the forum you would like to search.

There is an "auctions" forum, but I believe the majority of transactions occur on the BST and aren't auctions.
Actually, those frustrating "make me an offer" posts could possibly somehow be considered an auction with a strange format.

*digression alert*
Most of the time on those "make an offer" I just don't bother, but if I decide to give it a shot, I usually receive a "that's not even close" type of reply..... (although I did make a successful offer on one occasion recently :))

rainier2004
09-15-2012, 08:31 AM
*digression alert*
Most of the time on those "make an offer" I just don't bother, but if I decide to give it a shot, I usually receive a "that's not even close" type of reply..... (although I did make a successful offer on one occasion recently :))

Or they dont reply at all...

zljones
09-16-2012, 03:34 PM
I am new to the site, but I was directed by a friend who is unfortunately out of the country and unreachable. Can someone please tell me the following:
Is there a way to search either current or completed auctions for specific players or grades?

Thanks,

Wayne

Also do the Advanced search on ebay and choose completed listings. This will show you within the past 90 days on ebay. That should help in your research.

qe3
09-16-2012, 04:38 PM
Thanks for the responses. I have been out of the hobby for 20 years, but recently decided to have the majority of my collection graded. Once the cards come back graded, I look forward to using the BST section of this site. My experiences with ebay have always been positive (granted, not a large sample set), so I am curious as to why people here are so slanted against it?

rainier2004
09-16-2012, 05:41 PM
My experiences with ebay have always been positive (granted, not a large sample set), so I am curious as to why people here are so slanted against it?

Alright, lets open this can of worms.

First, ebay typically sides with the buyer w/ or w/o proof and there are TONS of circumstances that can to the seller getting absolutely screwed. Second, fees are pretty high. Third, they own paypal monopolizing certain payment aspects of the "game". Their customer service is horrible, they intermittently follow thru with what they say and its turned into more of a BIN museum than an actual auction. Seventh, they will allow proven frauds back on ebay. Here is a good example of the wonderful world of ebay recently:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=150269&highlight=1938+goudey+greenberg

Eight, their feedback system is so watered down at this point it has become irrelevant. Nine, when they do change the rules we usually have to consult one of the many lawyers on this board to decipher like this:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=156273&highlight=opt

Ten, fu&%ing shilling! I do use ebay, but carefully and never a big ticket item, absolutely never b/c I work too hard dealing with bullshit at work to watch my money float away from ebays bullshit, ie policies. There, a nice round number for ya.:)

S Suckow

qe3
09-17-2012, 06:47 AM
Steven- I get it, and the world is full of bad people, but in your first example, don't you wait until viewing the product to release the funds on paypal? Monopoly though it may be, doesn't paypal offer you that protection? I appreciate your feedback, and your points about eBay are legit- which is why I am here!

I bought something three weeks ago using paypal; the item was not even close to as described so I did not release the funds to the seller on paypal. Seemed simple enough, and although I had to send it back, it cost me $5 instead of $500.

rainier2004
09-17-2012, 08:40 AM
Steven- I get it, and the world is full of bad people, but in your first example, don't you wait until viewing the product to release the funds on paypal? Monopoly though it may be, doesn't paypal offer you that protection? I appreciate your feedback, and your points about eBay are legit- which is why I am here!

Use the search function on this board and you will find stories of honest sellers and dishonest buyers where pp simply goes into your account and removes the money the buyer paid based on allegations from the buyer w/in some of the loopholes that exists. Your cc cant protect at that point and pp refuses to protect the seller. I simply do not EVER sell high-priced items on ebay.

qe3
09-17-2012, 05:48 PM
I can see how this would be an issue for the seller, but based on the example you gave me of the Goudey purchase, I was referring to the buyer in this case-- good buyer, bad seller. In that case, where do you sell high end items? Does it matter if you limit your buyers to those with a large number of transactions/ positive feedback?

rainier2004
09-17-2012, 07:14 PM
In that case, where do you sell high end items? Does it matter if you limit your buyers to those with a large number of transactions/ positive feedback?

My higher end items are sold on the n54 b/s/t and only on the b/s/t - I have another couple connections thru the hobby as well and put feelers out there from time to time...never the bay. I have received far superior service from sheriff Leon than from any TEAM on ebay. Long live Sheriff Leon! (Was that too much?:confused:)

Pup6913
09-17-2012, 07:29 PM
you will be hard pressed to find sold prices on the BST. Most people delete them and put sold up. I do hope you can find some of what your looking for though

sportscardpete
09-18-2012, 06:49 AM
you will be hard pressed to find sold prices on the BST. Most people delete them and put sold up. I do hope you can find some of what your looking for though

As it should be!

Personally from a buyer's perspective ebay is awesome. As long as you don't mind the clutter there are still nice cards to be had.

Can't say the same for a seller.