PDA

View Full Version : Cornelius McGillicuddy signed bank doc

YankeeFan
09-14-2012, 10:40 AM
I'm new to Net54. I’ve been browsing many different posts for a few days and I love the camaraderie, the exchange of information and the pictures of so many great items. I've been collecting for over 30 years, but I never really got into autographs. I came across a Cornelius McGillicuddy signed bank document in an antique shop recently. I know Connie Mack's are pretty common, but Cornelius McGillicuddy's are not seen too often.

I've done some research on-line, comparing it to images from the archives of some of the well-known auction houses. There aren’t many to compare it to. It looks to me that it is likely to be authentic, but my eye is not experienced.

I think it is a hobby-fresh item, based on the story the owner told me. It deserves to get more exposure than it has been getting sitting in an antique co-op where there are very few sports-related items and most people who pass by it don’t even know who Cornelius McGillicuddy is!

But the asking price is too much for me to take a risk on without being at least reasonably sure it's authentic and because I do not know its value. Even if it is real, I don’t want to overpay for it. Of course, it would be great if I could actually get a bargain on it.

So, if anyone is willing to help by offering their opinion on whether or not it looks genuine and/or its current market value, it would be greatly appreciated. Before you decide if you would like to share your knowledge, I have to be honest and tell you that as much as I love the history behind an item like this, it’s not really up my alley, so if I do get it, it would likely show up in the Buy/Sell/Trade section at some point, assuming it passes authentication.

I would get a lot of pleasure out of helping to bring this into the hobby where it can end up in the collection of someone who has been searching for an old Cornelius to no avail. If I could make a few bucks in the process, I certainly wouldn’t mind, but as long as I wouldn't be losing money, it would be great to get this into a nice collection.

Thanks for looking. I’ll do my best to answer any questions.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/104704196/Cornelius_McGillicudy_Signed_doc.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/104704196/Cornelius_McGillicudy_Close_Up.jpg

David Atkatz
09-14-2012, 10:57 AM
There's no doubt it's genuine.

YankeeFan
09-14-2012, 11:03 AM
Thank you David

bender07
09-14-2012, 11:42 AM
Thank you David
Agreed that it looks good and I would be interested in it if you decided to move it.