PDA

View Full Version : Another Jim Stinson thread

Baseball Fan
09-04-2012, 06:32 PM
Just wanted to pass along a quick story about Mr. Stinson, a well-respected member here.

I had a question for him regarding an autograph today, one that he wasn't selling and had no personal investment in. I felt guilty for e-mailing him asking for his opinion, but he was nice enough to share his thoughts. And I'm so glad he did.

The item in question was a 1935 check endorsed by Edwin "Alabama" Pitts, a man with a significant history in baseball but one not known by a lot of people. Pitts was stabbed to death in 1941 at the age of 35, so examples of his autographs are not exactly common. I felt good about the signature and the time period from which it came, but I really wanted Mr. Stinson's opinion.

He responded a short time later, and of course, he knew exactly who Pitts was, had written a story about him for his website, and knew what his autograph looked like. He responded again after viewing the signature, and said it was "dead on" and that it was a good find. That made me feel good on several levels.

I probably paid too much for it - $325 - but it's difficult to know exactly what a signature like that is worth. Mr. Stinson sold an album page signed by Pitts eight years ago for around $150. So, an overpayment maybe, but what Mr. Stinson said in his e-mail to me is so correct: It's the story behind an autograph that makes it special. And Pitts has an unreal story. Check it out at some point if you have time.

Here is the item that I bought in case you were curious.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Edwin-Alabama-Pitts-Bert-Bell-Signed-check-Auto-PSA-GEM-MINT-10-rare-EAGLES-/370565852556?pt=US_Autographs&hash=item5647722d8c

Again, I really just wanted to take the time to give kudos to a man who took time out of his day to help a total stranger. Thank you.

GrayGhost
09-05-2012, 04:31 AM
Its people like Mr. Stinson, Richard Simon and the like are whats GOOD for the autograph world, not the assembly lne alphabet boys.

39special
09-05-2012, 05:26 AM
Both Jim and Richard are great guys! Being fairly new to autographs,I had some questions.I messaged them and they responded quickly and were very helpful!

daves_resale_shop
09-05-2012, 06:01 AM
Agree with the both of you... Nothing but positive experiences with both of them... if you haven't already, I strongly recommend you sign up for their newsletters... I have seen and had the opportunity to purchase some awesome pieces from them as a result...

There is nothing better in my book than people who work hard at their craft, do it ethically, take no shortcuts, and put their customers first...

Richard and Jim are huge assets to this hobby and board.

Thanks for everything guys!

RichardSimon
09-05-2012, 06:40 AM
Thanks very much guys for all the kind words.
Your checks are in the mail :).

Leon
09-05-2012, 10:31 AM
Thanks for sharing that story Baseball Fan. And even more so, thanks Jim, for promoting the hobby in a positive fashion. If we all do our little part this whole sports hobby will be so much better. Thanks again Jim and Baseball Fan.

HOFautosChris
09-05-2012, 12:43 PM
Just read the story of Pitts. This type of story is part of what makes autograph collecting such a great hobby. I have a fasicnation with some off the interesting characters behind the graph. Looks like I will be adding this name to my want list. Also kudos to Jim for the assist.

shelly
09-05-2012, 03:00 PM
Jim yes, Richard really not sure.:D

HOFAUTOS
09-05-2012, 03:16 PM
I love reading Jim's stories. Reminds me of when I was younger and would read EVERY single story in Beckett, Baseball Cards, Tuff Stuff, and SCD.

HOF Auto Rookies
09-06-2012, 02:16 PM
Agreed, if it weren't for them, I wouldn't have picked this up

Maddog
09-08-2012, 01:45 PM
Couldn't agree more. I have been buying from Rich and Jim for a while and never had an issue. Their's are two emails I never complain about getting too many of, actually wish they would send out more:D.

RichardSimon
09-08-2012, 06:29 PM
Couldn't agree more. I have been buying from Rich and Jim for a while and never had an issue. Their's are two emails I never complain about getting too many of, actually wish they would send out more:D.

If I could find more items I would send out more e mails :).
There will be a new list sent out this coming week.
Getting some new items which will be arriving during the week.

joed25
09-11-2012, 03:20 PM
Jim is awesome!!! Thanks for all the help.