PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on this Reese - Scrap?

Tao_Moko
08-30-2012, 01:41 PM
I quit bidding after $20 because I couldn't tell if this was just a trimmed card with an overprint back or if it is possibly scrap or an anomaly worth owning. What are your thoughts now that the auction has ended?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/150887714328?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

39special
08-30-2012, 02:09 PM
It looks like a bad trim job.

steve B
08-30-2012, 06:40 PM
I saw that bunch of cards with double backs. I missed bidding on some and didn't remember the others.

I think they're pretty interesting. Probably from sheets that were a bit defective and used to setup the press for the next batch of stuff. We called the makeready sheets. Some were new paper, some were whatever we had that was the right size. Obviously the sheet got cut up somewhere.

I think the prices are pretty reasonable right now. There isn't a huge following for the scraps or misprints on modern cards yet. I can't tell if there ever will be one. If they stay cheap I'll be able to get some eventually, if they get a following like T206 misprints my collection will pretty much stop where it is since I won't be able to afford them.

If you like them, buy them.

Steve B

SMPEP
08-31-2012, 12:18 PM
I actually have 20 or so of these 1949 Bowman cards with this overprint on back.

Don't have any adjacent numbers, so I can't tell for sure if they come from the same sheet ... but that's my guess.

There have been several floating through Ebay over the last years.

Cheers,
Patrick

Exhibitman
09-01-2012, 01:48 PM
I'd have paid more than that had I seen it. My vote is for scrap.