PDA

View Full Version : Where did the years go?

Matt E.
08-29-2012, 02:13 PM
At the 2012 National in Baltimore my son, Turner and I finished our T205 Master set, buying our final card from our friend Ted Z. who just happened to have it sitting on his table. It was a T205 Hippo Vaughn SGC 60. After quite some time searching there it was!
http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/4708/vaughn.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/703/vaughn.jpg/)

We are finished minus the Hobby No Stats which we may get someday.

A little history: We were box breakers, pulling bat, jersey and autograph cards thru the years 2001- 2005, until we got so bummed out finding that the hits were far and few and what we did pull was not as valuable as we thought.

However, in November 2005 attending the Columbus, Ohio card show a dealer had a majority of the set for sale at a very reasonable price and we bought them. Honestly the cards were crappy, but it was what we needed to try at that time. What began as an all raw set that had an average grade of Authentic - SGC 10 at best now resides in all SGC 50 and 60 holders and holds the number one SGC T205 Master Set spot.

There were many times we took major steps backwards by selling a high dollar card to purchase a group of commons that were needed in the next grade, whether is was a 20, 30, 40, 50.

At one point I had given up on the set and wanted to sell it, but through Turner’s persistence the set kept growing. He always pointed out cards on Ebay or Net 54 BST that we could upgrade. Sometimes clicking “buy it now” within ten minutes of a card being listed, telling me it was a good deal and we needed the card. We even bought a few cards from Levi, yikes!!

I am proud to say that without the help of my son, Turner who was just 10 years old in 2001 when he entered the hobby our T205 set would not be finished nor at the current set grade of SGC- 52.26. Thanks T!
Turner is now a Junior at Ohio University in Athens, Ohio

I will probably fall away from cards a little bit now by only attending the National since our multi year quest has been completed. A far cry from the times when we would jump in the car on a Sunday drive 60 miles to a 10 table card show. Congratulating ourselves on the way home... admiring the Fergie Jenkins auto or the Adam Dunn jersey card we pulled at the show, "Oh my it's kinda funny now".

Dad

The set can be viewed here......http://imageevent.com/babybingbaseball/underconstruction

SGC Registry can be viewed here.......http://sgccardregistry.com/set.aspx?cat=1&set=794&userset=1818

One of my favorite pictures of Turner at the age of 14.

http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/8182/vets.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/821/vets.jpg/)

CardTarget
08-29-2012, 02:18 PM
THIS is the definitive post about our hobby and the best post of the month. Thanks for sharing.

ALR-bishop
08-29-2012, 02:26 PM
Great post

atx840
08-29-2012, 02:30 PM
Those are some GORGEOUS cards, great story and thanks for sharing.

Pup6913
08-29-2012, 03:40 PM
Matt I am glad I got to see you and Turner this yr and have lunch with you guys. Looks as though I am in need of making another run at the set to keep you on your toes then. I am so glad to see this feat accomplished. You have some great cards.

You forgot to mention the Vaugn is a fact 42. pied.:0

cubsfan-budman
08-29-2012, 04:23 PM
Very very cool. Thanks for sharing.

ngrow9
08-29-2012, 04:53 PM
Congrats Matt, from an Ohio University alumnus. I hope your son is enjoying his time in Athens as much as I did.

novakjr
08-29-2012, 05:18 PM
As a guy who simply had a recruiting trip for Wrestling to OU, I hope he's NOT enjoying his time in Athens as much as I did...:D

Great collection and great story...It's inspiring. Hopefully, one day I can share this hobby with my children the way you have..

tonyo
08-29-2012, 05:58 PM
WOW...

that was beautiful

ethicsprof
08-29-2012, 06:02 PM
very movingly written and a pleasure to read.
thanks for sharing this
and Congratulations to you both!
best,
barry

Wite3
08-29-2012, 06:03 PM
Matt and Turner...wonderful!!

I knew you could/would do it!

Joshua

wonkaticket
08-29-2012, 07:12 PM
Great post,

Funny how a little piece of cardboard from 100 years ago can in some way connect folks. Oddly enough my very first t-card ever and the one who got me hooked as a kid was the very same card a T205 Vaughn.

http://photos.imageevent.com/piojohn3/net54shared/Vaughn.jpg

I have always said I would sell all one day but the Vaughn card will never go.

Congrats on a huge accomplishment and one amazing looking set!

Cheers,

John

t206blogcom
08-29-2012, 07:30 PM
Great looking set; congrats.

Leon
08-29-2012, 07:34 PM
Matt

Great story, congrats and thanks for sharing. Your and your sons T205 master set is really well balanced and a great accomplishment. I bet the bonding time with your son (hi Turner) was far more valuable though. Now what's next? :) Most of the fun is in the hunt!!

CW
08-29-2012, 07:44 PM
Awesome post, awesome set, and an awesome experience for you and your son. Congrats to both of you!

mrvster
08-29-2012, 07:55 PM
great story!!btw....i got a sweet card from turner, a very special 4 back polar bear card that i cherish, thank you so much:)....you guys rock, and i'm sure you will continue on cardboard....t206?????????;)

peace

johnny v

HRBAKER
08-29-2012, 08:07 PM
Matt,
Always one of the highlights of The Nat to run into you and Turner. Congrats on a fine set and an even finer son.

Jeff

yanks4
08-29-2012, 08:35 PM
Matt and Turner......So very nice that you Matt, took the time to tell the board about your T205 completion......If all the guys or even half were like the two of you what an even greater hobby this would be ...No sarcastic posts...no impolite comments.... just a father and son having fun together learning and hunting.....Sort of odd that I was there when you bought the Vaughn as you were there a couple of years ago when I found the mid grade Chief Myers Cracker Jack that had alluded me for so long.....Turner I wish you the best and I really feel you and your dad should pick out another set or collecting goal that you both could work on together....It would be money well spent.... Hope to see you again in Chicago if not before.....Regards, Marty

dherm360
08-29-2012, 08:54 PM
great post one of my favorite reads since joining the board

Vintagecatcher
08-29-2012, 08:59 PM
Congrats Matt and Turner on finishing your T205 set. Remember chatting with Turner quite a bit back in the old days.

Patrick

AndyG09
08-29-2012, 09:06 PM
Matt and Turner,

Congrats on reaching your goal and putting together a fine set! I wish my dad had an interest in cards. You guys are very lucky to have each other in the collecting game. You two are certainly some of the classiest guys I've met from the board.

Best,

Andy

MVSNYC
08-29-2012, 09:14 PM
awesome! thank you for sharing. your set looks super clean, and the father-son story is priceless. i too have been lucky enough to collect over the years with my dad.

Kawika
08-29-2012, 10:29 PM
Matt: It was nice to see you and Turner in Baltimore. You have raised a fine son. Congratulations to you both for a great hobby accomplishment. People aren't knocking off Master Sets every day.

David McDonald
=kawika=

E93
08-29-2012, 11:38 PM
Thanks for sharing this. Great story. I'm still waiting to see if my son will develop an interest.
JimB

Al C.risafulli
08-29-2012, 11:46 PM
Excellent post. It was great to finally meet Turner at the show, and I'm glad I could help a tiny bit with the quest!

-Al

glynparson
08-30-2012, 02:10 AM
EVER. It reminds me of the hundreds if not thousands of shows auctions etc I have been to with my dad over all these years. I think Robert Hunter said it best "Oh what I want to know is where does the time go".

oaks1912
08-30-2012, 08:45 AM
To those who ever question the "value" of lower grade cards, this post should be a reminder of how a beginning collector can advance in the hobby over time and not only upgrade his collection, but add to his stable of friends and fellow collectors, not to mention a great father - son bond. Congrats on everything Matt & Turner..

Tyler
08-30-2012, 08:54 AM
Way to go, guys. It was such a pleasure meeting you two in Cleveland a few years ago. Thanks so much for all the help and advice with my modest T205 basic set. The Vaughan was the last card I found.
Best of luck in Athens, Turner. Hope to see you again.
Tyler

glchen
08-30-2012, 09:27 AM
Great story and collection.

Jantz
08-30-2012, 11:20 AM
Wow Matt!

Has it been that long?

I remember that show(photo you posted of Turner) and talking to you & Turner. He was pumped up about the Nadja back cards you two had acquired. I bought one of my first T206s from Turner that day. It was Joe Lake, NY. I still have the card, along with Turner's price tag on it. ;)

Congratulations to the both of you on finishing your set!

Great story & thanks for sharing it

Jantz

Fred
08-30-2012, 09:38 PM
Gotta be one of the better posts I read in a while. Thanks!