PDA

View Full Version : Why Not Stamp Your Own Cards?

T206Collector
08-29-2012, 07:57 AM
I am only somewhat serious about this, but a lot of old time collectors (Jefferson Burdick included) liked to stamp the back of their cards with their names. Today, many people collect cards with such stamps (e.g. Howe McCormick). What a nice tradition to maintain, no? I mean, except for the fact that it might ruin the value of the card -- or otherwise be considered defacing -- why not?

I collect signed T206 cards. I do not think it would lower the value of most of my signed T206s if I happened to stamp my name or initials on the reverse. And it would be a nice thing to have my collection forever memorialized that way.

Again... why not?

Would you ever consider doing this?

ullmandds
08-29-2012, 08:07 AM
it would be a cool historical record if everyone that once owned a given card put his/her "mark" on the back somewhere...but this is not reality?!

I think in your collection's case...it would not affect the value at all...but in most collections it would!

Personally...I don't feel my name would increase the value of any of my cards in any way...so I would have no interest/desire to do this.

In this day and age...it makes no sense to stamp/mark cards as what may have been done 100 yrs ago...and it seems a tad egocentric the more I think of it as well?

tiger8mush
08-29-2012, 08:36 AM
I don't feel like much of my vintage collection is "mine" yet. I've only owned most of my vintage collection for the past 5 or 6 years. The items have existed for like 100 years, so others have owned them much longer than I. I'm not worried as much about ruining value as I plan on keeping them and most are low grade anyway.

The cards I bought as a kid in the late 80s, however, I could see stamping those. I pulled them out of packs and feel they are more "mine". That make sense?

Neat topic, Paul, that I've often considered.
Rob
:)

bn2cardz
08-29-2012, 08:38 AM
To each their own. It is yours do with it as you want. If you want to draw a beard on all the players and give them black eyes like you would if you were a child, so be it. They are your pieces of card board.

Since we are all a part of the hobby, we think we have the right to tell others what to do with their property with the hopes of one day owning that piece. In the end that is just coveting; what that person does with their stuff shouldn't matter to us if it it isn't illegal (e.g. insuring the collection then starting it on fire to claim the insurance)

ullmandds
08-29-2012, 08:40 AM
Additionally...back then...some of the early hobby pioneers who actually created the checklists for all of these cards we collect would send their cards in the mail to others for research and such.

This would be a good reason to stamp your cards so as they wouldn't get mixed up with others collectors' cards.

sportscardpete
08-29-2012, 08:41 AM
I say this in the most serious way possible - when I'm done collecting, and I want to sell off my collection (pending I'm rich out of my mind and don't need much money) I'm going to write on all the backs and say "I saved you money, you're welcome".

So unless that situation plays out, I can't see myself writing on my cards.

Exhibitman
08-29-2012, 08:53 AM
Q: Why not stamp your own cards?
A: Because I am not Jefferson Burdick. If I stamped them I would just be a dick. But a Burdick stamp...

http://photos.imageevent.com/exhibitman/rareboxingcards/websize/E80%20Johnson%20Burdick%20stamp.jpg

Bicem
08-29-2012, 08:56 AM
A: Because I am not Jefferson Burdick. If I stamped them I would just be a dick.

ha! +1

curtis-cards
08-29-2012, 10:13 AM
If you really wanted to claim your collection, just grade them with your name on them. I'm not sure if SGC does it, but PSA & BVG/BGS does. Isn't that the same thing? You're just claiming your collection.

Would I buy a card with markings? Sure.
Would I mark my own cards? Hell no!

Runscott
08-29-2012, 10:38 AM
As a kid, I remember this guy who used to write his name on the backs of all his comic books. Kind of irked me when trading, as his signature was like a 5-year old's. On the other hand, 'Paul's Magazine Stand' did the same, and as long as it was a neat, straight stamp, it didn't bother me at all.

No one did that to cards when I was a kid, but I think it would bother me. Cards are too small, and a stamp too conspicuous. A vintage stamp on a vintage card is okay, but if I were a kid back in 1910, it might have bothered me. A modern stamp on a vintage card would be (IMO) ridiculous.

Matthew H
08-29-2012, 11:09 AM
A few years ago there was a few old judges on eBay being sold by Andy Madec. He felt they were trimmed so he wrote a big TR on the back with a ball point pen. I yelled at him in ALL CAPS and he yelled back basically telling me to kick rocks.

So yes, you cant tell people what to do with their stuff

Ladder7
08-29-2012, 11:24 AM
Card stamper's are a small step away from buying jewelry for their chihuahuas.

travrosty
08-29-2012, 11:53 AM
stamp away, who cares?!

CobbSpikedMe
08-29-2012, 12:21 PM
I collect T206's with stamps on them and (as some of you know) have a project of trying to document as many stamped backs as I can (see my sig for the link), but I wouldn't stamp any of my cards today. I just couldn't deface a card like that personally. Someone else will own these cards at some point and I don't want to be, as Adam put it, the dick that stamped his name on them.

AndyH

drc
08-29-2012, 12:35 PM
For the record, I don't think stamping old cards is a good idea. As someone said, in the big picture they aren't yours to stamp.

My personal rule is if you're the original buyer, you can do whatever you want to it. If you bought it when it was one hundred years old, it belongs to history. In other words, feel free to go out and buy a pack of Topps Chrome.

terjung
08-30-2012, 09:33 AM
I wouldn't stamp my own cards unless my nickname was "Old Put"

ullmandds
08-30-2012, 09:36 AM
nice brian!

poorlydrawncat
08-30-2012, 09:59 AM
If you really want to stamp your cards in this day and age, why not use ink that can only be seen under black light? That way, the stamp is invisible to the naked eye, but under a black light BAM, there's your initials or whatever.

terjung
08-30-2012, 11:09 AM
I think the black light stamp would still result in a reduced grade (since I'm under the impression that TPGs use them). It'd probably result in a bunch of discussion on forums about "can you believe the grade on this?"

wonkaticket
08-30-2012, 02:25 PM
Some people do..... ;)

http://photos.imageevent.com/piojohn3/junkforumimages/huge/Pageper2020.jpg

David W
08-30-2012, 02:33 PM
Not pre war, and not stamped, but I could always ID my cards at age 8.....A pen and/or marker worked just fine. I've got a few hundred more just like these.....