PDA

View Full Version : What year did Hal Newhouser make his first appearance on an exhibit card?

thenavarro
08-27-2012, 10:41 PM
I've seen different websites that give examples of how to date exhibit cards, but does anyone know what was the first year that Hal Newhouser exhibit cards were available??

And is their a site somewhere that has it check listed which players came out initially in what year? IE, for the exhibits that typically are labeled 1947 to 1966, not all players were made for 20 years. Or likewise for the salutation exhibits commonly labeled 1939 to 1946, how does one find out the first year a player was available as an exhibit?

Thanks

Mike

novakjr
08-28-2012, 06:27 AM
I've inquired about this same thing once before...With the "Salutations", I don't think there was a way to date them. Mostly, I was hopefully looking to pre-date a few potential rookies.. Luckily with Newhouser, the entire Salutation run, pre-dates the '49 Leaf...

bcbgcbrcb
08-28-2012, 07:58 AM
Two things with the Salutation Newhouser:

I have heard that the Salutation Exhibits continued to be produced after the 1946 date, well into the 1947-66 Exhibits period.

The other thing is that Newhouser's earliest issue other than the Salutation Exhibit is his W603 Sports Exchange premium, which was part of the first series and thus can be confirmed as a 1946 issue.

Therefore, at worst, if the Salutation Newhouser was produced in the last year only, 1946, it would still match the W603 as Newhouser's earliest issue. My guess is that the Salutation Newhouser was produced well before 1946 as it would have been one of the scarcest cards in the set if only produced the last year while others were issued during all years.

novakjr
08-28-2012, 10:14 AM
http://keymancollectibles.com/exhibitdatechart.htm

Posted a link to a dating chart. There appears to be no distinction for the years '39-45...If the Newhouser was produced beyond '46, then you'd clearly want to avoid any that display the characteristics of the later produced ones..

bcbgcbrcb
08-28-2012, 01:15 PM
Good point, Dave.

ls7plus
09-12-2012, 04:52 PM
http://keymancollectibles.com/exhibitdatechart.htm

Posted a link to a dating chart. There appears to be no distinction for the years '39-45...If the Newhouser was produced beyond '46, then you'd clearly want to avoid any that display the characteristics of the later produced ones..

Thanks, David--I had that chart before, and had misplaced it!

Larry