PDA

View Full Version : ShoelessJoe signed Book on Pawn Stars

GrayGhost
08-27-2012, 07:27 PM
WE KNOW this one won't be good. TEN PM episode tonight

tazdmb
08-27-2012, 09:05 PM
at least psa failed it, looked bad. cant believe they spent 13,000 without verification. they will verify before they spend less than 1000.

batsballsbases
08-27-2012, 10:33 PM
In my view one of Rick's more foolish moves!:eek::eek: 6 real autographs known and he believes his is good!

Gary Dunaier
08-28-2012, 12:51 AM
I noticed the LOA that came with the book was written by Herman Darvick.

bigtrain
08-28-2012, 07:22 AM
The show is entertaining but obviously scripted. We are supposed to believe that Rick shelled out 13k without even googling Herman Darvick? That's silly.

JimStinson
08-28-2012, 08:51 AM
Don't know what happened on the show as I didn't watch it. But the Jackson commentary brought to mind something that was relayed to me personally about Shoeless Joe.
There used to be a west coast collector who collected signed personal checks, all fields including baseball. He sold his check collection in the late 1980's. He was from Greenville South Carolina and told me as a young man he visited Shoeless Joe Jackson at the liquor store he owned in Greenville. He said he asked Jackson for an autograph a couple times and on both occasions Jackson would reach under the counter and hand him a signed item. Never signed in front of him, on both occasions the items were pre-signed by Jackson's wife.
On one occasion he said he visited and brought his own item , a photo from a book and asked Jackson to sign it. He said that Jackson acted odd and said that he would "sign it later". He said he never witnessed Jackson sign his name even though he met him and shook his hand etc.
He said he suspected even then that Jackson was not signing the items. After Shoeless Joe had died he was already an avid check collector and at some point before the store closed he asked someone in the family if they had a signed check. He told me they actually helped him go through some of the store's old files but found nothing that was actually signed by him.
In my conversations with him at that time it was known that a few authentic Joe Jackson signatures existed so he COULD sign his name. I think he and I concluded in our conversations that it was his opinion that Jackson's real signature would have been so labored as to be awkward so he delegated almost all signing duties to his wife unless he absolutely HAD to sign something himself

esd10
08-28-2012, 09:49 AM
they should have sent it to stat they would have gotten a glowing coa from morales. joe did sign a few things but your best bet to get his real auto was probably during his playing days at the ball park and does anyone know of a real ball signed by the 1919 white sox?

Duluth Eskimo
08-28-2012, 10:27 AM
Jim,
That is a great story as usual. It is always nice to hear stories from people that actually met and got something signed from a long deceased legend.

bender07
08-28-2012, 10:37 AM
Jim,
That is a great story as usual. It is always nice to hear stories from people that actually met and got something signed from a long deceased legend.
Agreed, definitely a hidden gem of a story in this thread.

gnaz01
08-28-2012, 10:46 AM
does anyone know of a real ball signed by the 1919 white sox?

The Roaches will have one coming in their next auction I bet!! :D

gnaz01
08-28-2012, 10:53 AM
If some of you didn't know, there is a GREAT Shoeless Joe article called "This Is The Truth" in the 1949 Sport Magazine with Mathewson on the cover. It is written in Joe's words, and is a great interview. He states (and I am paraphrasing) that most folks thought of him as an "ignorant cotton-mill boy with nothing but lint where his brain ought to be". It is an awesome 5 page magazine article with some GREAT baseball content and shows him in his liquor store, etc.

I highly recommend picking up a copy and reading it. You can pick it up on the 'bay for around $20-$40 and is well worth it as a collectible.

HOF Auto Rookies
08-28-2012, 11:35 AM
If some of you didn't know, there is a GREAT Shoeless Joe article called "This Is The Truth" in the 1949 Sport Magazine with Mathewson on the cover. It is written in Joe's words, and is a great interview. He states (and I am paraphrasing) that most folks thought of him as an "ignorant cotton-mill boy with nothing but lint where his brain ought to be". It is an awesome 5 page magazine article with some GREAT baseball content and shows him in his liquor store, etc.

I highly recommend picking up a copy and reading it. You can pick it up on the 'bay for around $20-$40 and is well worth it as a collectible.

I believe this is the article http://www.blackbetsy.com/theTruth.html

- Brent

Matthew H
08-28-2012, 11:37 AM
Nice story Jim, thanks for sharing!

Judging by the terrible acting and the obvious seperate takes I could hear in the dialog, yes all of that PS was scripted. I'm sure it's cheaper to get a fake JJ sig to walk in the store then a real one.

gnaz01
08-28-2012, 11:37 AM
I believe this is the article http://www.blackbetsy.com/theTruth.html

That's the one!! Thanks Dave!

JimStinson
08-28-2012, 11:42 AM
The point I was trying to make in my post is that even though the fellow I spoke with met Joe Jackson IN-PERSON on more than one occasion and even asked him for an autograph. He never actually SAW Jackson sign anything, and never ended up with an authentic autograph. There ARE some real ones out there , at least one check (That I know of) and a legal document , both of which (I think) came from the family.

travrosty
08-28-2012, 01:25 PM
Darvick, Jsa's authenticator and psa's former authenticator, brags on his jsa bio that he was the first to authenticate and sell a joe jackson autograph.

now he certifies this, and psa, his former employer, takes down their former authenticator a few notches. my view-these services are a joke. darvick is still on staff at jsa, send in your joe jackson autos now!