PDA

View Full Version : Corbett Stereoview

big80s
08-26-2012, 08:58 PM
Hi there,

Can anyone help me identify this Corbett Stereoview? I'd love to have SGC slab it, if I can figure out the details on it.

http://packgeek.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/corbett_stereoview.jpg

Thanks!

Jeff

D. Bergin
08-26-2012, 10:32 PM
1894 image. After the Charlie Mitchell fight.

I'll be honest. I don't think it's any good. Image is from a legit stereoview card.

This looks like a modern print, pasted on to an unrelated stereoview, with the old photo soaked or peeled off.

You can even see where the old photo was peeled from, since the one that replaced it, is smaller sized then the original imprint.

big80s
08-27-2012, 08:05 AM
Wow. I didn't even notice the outline around the photo, until you mentioned it. Would someone have actually reproduced a photo like this? I'm amazed anyone would take the time to remove the original image and paste a new one on. I didn't pay much for it - but that's still pretty shocking, if that's the case.

Exhibitman
08-27-2012, 01:00 PM
Have you looked at the image under magnification? I ask because I was cheated on an album of cards where about 40% were laser printed on paper then glued down. In scans and to the naked eye they lookedpretty close until I looked at them under a magnifier. To me the scan shown here makes the color of the image suspect. Perhaps you could also put it under a UV light--modern paper would fluoresce.

If the image itself is real it may have been rebacked or removed and remounted to deal with a curling issue.

BruinsFan
08-27-2012, 03:21 PM
There is another easy dead give away. Both sides of the picture should be Identical, the right side has the text the left does not.

D. Bergin
08-28-2012, 10:11 AM
Toning just looks off on the photo. It should be thinner albumen type stock. Looks like thicker glossy stock to me. The white line between the two dual photos looks way too defined, also.