PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on this Doorstop

kdixon
08-26-2012, 06:53 PM
Bought this in an antique store near KC. Guy said it came out of an old lawyers estate in KC. What are your thoughts on the item? Thanks.
t

Nashvol
08-26-2012, 07:16 PM
That is very cool, can't see to hear what is learned about it! Nice pickup!

pariah1107
08-27-2012, 09:13 AM
Are you sure this is a doorstop, not an andiron? I only say it may be an andiron because of the "wear" on the back, looks like it may have been near a fire. In which case there would be two of them. Just a thought. Excellent piece!

kdixon
08-27-2012, 10:11 AM
True it could be An andiron could be a bookend. I have no idea. It is very heavy and made of cast iron. Anyone have one like it or have any idea of how old it could be? I know the guy I bought it from and he guaranteed it to be old or would refund my money. Thanks, Kenny.

pariah1107
08-27-2012, 10:21 AM
Here are a nice pair of baseball andirons recently sold at REA;

http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/auction/2005/679.html

It would be awesome if your piece had a pitching counterpart! Hadn't thought of bookends but your right; a lawyer in KC, lots of books.... hmmm. As far as the year of manufacturing, my uneducated guess would be 1920's-40's (probably not wartime).

kdixon
08-27-2012, 10:56 AM
Wow thanks Ty.

murphusa
08-27-2012, 10:56 AM
delete

batsballsbases
08-28-2012, 03:37 PM
Nice piece I dont think its an andiron as the paint would have burned off long ago,and there doesnt seem to be a place to attach the log holder. Does look to be a book end and my have had a mate. Either way a nice piece!

perezfan
08-29-2012, 10:37 AM
I also do not think its an Andiron. It would help to know how tall it stands. If it is under 15" or so, it's likely a door-stop. The good news is that it looks to be unique, and not one of those that's so commonly reproduced and readily available on ebay. Neat piece!

ctownboy
08-29-2012, 10:41 AM
If this piece was old and made of cast iron shouldn't there be some markings on it as far as who made it?

I have seen a lot of old cast iron pieces and most of them have some type of markings on them, either the company name or initials. Are there any markings on this piece?

David

kdixon
08-29-2012, 12:37 PM
It is about nine inches tall and weighs about 3 lbs. My eyes arent what they used to be but I dont see any markings. I will try and look at it with a magnifying glass. It appears to be old to me but I dont claim to be an expert on anything. I havent found anything similiar on ebay or anywhere else so I dont think it is a mass produced fake, but like I said I like to hear what you experts have to say.

Thanks again, Kenny

drc
08-29-2012, 12:59 PM
A general rule of thumb for these types of items, including signs, is if it was a modern commercially made item, you'd see all over the place for sale. Rarity online and on eBay is supporting evidence, though not proof, it's not a modern reproduction.

Some googling and eBay-ing can often quickly determine if something was reproduced in modern times.

kdixon
08-29-2012, 02:17 PM
Thanks drc. I would agree with your comments. I have several dealing with the antique dealer I got it from and when he guaranteed it to be old or he would give me my money back, I knew I didn't have any thing to lose. He had thought about giving it to the Negro Leagues Museum in KC. I am not sure what color the player is. Thanks again for anyone who has commented on the item.
Kenny

mybestbretts
08-29-2012, 08:04 PM
Very sharp :)

coachdude2
08-31-2012, 11:10 AM
Kenny,
I find your post very interesting. I was walking though a antique mall in Carlisle, PA on Wednesday when I found this piece in a case sitting in the back almost hidden. It is just like yours, although yours has more color on it, but it is the same piece. I'm thinking that it a door stop as I have other piece's that are similar. This is the only one that I have seen like this until I saw your post. I don't believe they are reproductions and are very old.
Jeff

kdixon
08-31-2012, 11:59 AM
Jeff, thanks a lot for your post. If someone had both I guess they would have a set of bookends..
Kenny