PDA

View Full Version : Ruth's Home Run Candy Wrapper Questions

aelefson
08-25-2012, 04:51 PM
Hi-
I recently acquired the wrapper scanned below and I had some questions regarding its authenticity. First and foremost, I assume it is fake, but I want to confirm it. I purchased it from my normal antique paper dealer who thought it was real and had no idea fakes were made. He priced it at 8.00, which is normal for the way he prices authentic early sports items in similar condition (which is why I buy so much from him). He thought it came in a box of 1920s-40s magazines and other paper but he was not sure.
I assumed it was the fake when I bought it but now am not positive. It is on somewhat thick paper (similar to what I imagine would have wrapped a chocolate bar back then) and it has the creases where one would expect them. However, the crinkles and lines bother me, as I do not think it was ever balled up in the past.
I also thought I read that the thicker ones are all fakes, so I am not sure. I read on another post regarding a similar wrapper that the lettering on the real ones is hand done, and it looks like that might be the case on this one. All of the threads I have read concern a different version of this wrapper (different wording).
Is this one of the many fakes out there? If you had to pin me down I'd say it is. Please provide your opinions if possible.
Thanks in advance,
Alan Elefson
aelefson@hotmail.com

Jay Wolt
08-25-2012, 05:28 PM
There's some good info in this old thread

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=145470&highlight=babe+ruth+candy+wrapper

aelefson
08-26-2012, 06:43 AM
Thanks Jay! I read that thread (and several others) prior to posting. Most of the threads are about the wrapper that offers the exchange for a baseball, while mine does not make such an offer. The wording on my version is different as well. The only time my version showed up in that post was in a link to Heritage
http://historical.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=1083&lotNo=3133#Photo

Does this version have fakes as well? Any thoughts?

Alan

ctownboy
08-26-2012, 08:22 AM
aelefson,

I thought the original wrappers were made from wax paper? If so, is your wrapper made from wax paper or regular paper?

David

aelefson
08-26-2012, 01:50 PM
David-
It is a very odd feel to it, but it is made out of either very heavy wax paper or something else. It does not have a regular paper feel, but it is not a thin wax wrapper either. All of the information regarding the thickness seems to apply to the other version of this wrapper. Does anyone have a scan of this version that is thought to be authentic? The only example I found is in my post above. Still assuming fake but would like more opinions.

Alan

thecatspajamas
08-26-2012, 09:44 PM
First test should be a blacklight. It's not necessarily conclusive if it doesn't fluoresce, as others have shown several modern papers that don't, but if it does, it's a dead giveaway that it's a repro/fake.

If it passes that test, then start looking at paper type, thickness, etc.

Also keep in mind that if it's valuable, someone has tried to fake it. Some fakes are more prevalent than others, but just because you haven't seen one does not mean they're not out there.