PDA

View Full Version : Net 54 is great!! Another set completed.

tbob
08-24-2012, 01:30 PM
Thanks to Mac, I just completed my P-2 Sweet Caporal set. It was much, much more difficult than it was last go round about 12 years ago (sold that one through Mastro). This one stays with me. I am very happy to put another set to bed. Putting a post on the Net 54 Board brought it all to fruition. Thanks to everyone who helped me along the way. :D
tbob

ullmandds
08-24-2012, 01:34 PM
Wow bob...thats awesome!!! Mucho congratulations!

dog*dirt
08-24-2012, 01:37 PM
Congrats Bob, job well done.

Mikehealer
08-24-2012, 01:44 PM
Nice going Bob.

Leon
08-24-2012, 01:46 PM
Congrats Bob.....You are one of the elders on the site (in as long as you have been here) and you are well deserving!! Thanks to Mac for making it happen too.

peterose4hof
08-24-2012, 03:27 PM
Well done! Couldn't happen to a nicer guy!

Zach Wheat
08-24-2012, 04:18 PM
Thanks to Mac, I just completed my P-2 Sweet Caporal set. It was much, much more difficult than it was last go round about 12 years ago (sold that one through Mastro). This one stays with me. I am very happy to put another set to bed. Putting a post on the Net 54 Board brought it all to fruition. Thanks to everyone who helped me along the way. :D
tbob

Congrats tbob! Always a great feeling finishing another set. Do you have any pictures? What was the hardest one to find?

ethicsprof
08-24-2012, 05:13 PM
congratulations!!!
a remarkable accomplishment---twice!!
all the best,
barry

caramelcard
08-24-2012, 06:24 PM
Very nice bob.

Your collection must be just ridiculous! Keep it goin.

Rob

christopher.herman
08-24-2012, 06:27 PM
Congrats. Pics/scans of your accomplishment would be great to see.
From a fellow Sweet Cap fan,
Christopher.

tbob
08-24-2012, 09:25 PM
Thanks for all the kind words and congratulations. It was a real challenge. To answer one of the questions, the last two pins I secured were Marquard and Warhop. The last go-round the final pins I secured were Abattichio and Pelty. I would have to say those are among the toughest to find. Tough ones this time included Engle LL and Wheat LL. It is perhaps unusual that the Hall of Famers (other than Marquard and Wheat), were not that difficult to find. I have one collector friend who helped me quite a bit who has had trouble finding a nice Tinker LL, but the HOFers are much more readily attainable than some of the "commons." The Heinie Wagner is also pretty tough but I was able to find a duplicate only a month after finally finding a Wagner I needed and was able to package it in the trade along with a duplicate tough Scanlon to secure the last two I needed. About 75% of the set is PSA graded (I don't believe SGC grades them) and I hope to get the other 25% graded eventually. My almost complete Domino Disc set, on the other hand, is all ungraded as I like them displayed in the large shadow box I have with their bright colors.
So I now continue my other tasks of completing the D311 Pacific Coast Biscuit and, of course, the E94 master set. Both are extremely tough to complete but I patiently endeavor.
Every set I have completed was collected card by card (or pin by pin) as the thrill of the hunt is something I love :D

Tim Kindler
08-26-2012, 08:25 PM
Bob,
I wanted to congratulate you on your latest accomplishment. You are correct, knocking them off card by card, or pin by pin is the thrilling part about collecting sets. Mac is a super guy. I met him last year at the National dinner and he sold me a Lajoie that I really needed for my E98 Master Set, and even threw in a T202 for free! Thanks again Mac! Anyway, sorry it took me so long to jump on here. Finally after 4 weeks without intenet while we were in the process of moving, I can finally jump on the old Net 54 on my computer again. Life is good.
Tim Kindler

phlflyer1
08-27-2012, 06:50 AM
Bob,

Congratulations on putting together the P2 set for a second time. Thats quite an accomplishment!

I agree on the Pelty being a difficult pin from my experience when I was working on the set.

Would love to see pictures of some of your pins as well as the domino discs that you mentioned.

I enjoy having my pins in a shadow box so I'm sure the discs would look good in one as well.