PDA

View Full Version : Photographing Photographs

Runscott
08-23-2012, 03:47 PM
Time to photograph a few cabinets that are too large for my scanner. Any suggestions? I see a lot of professional-looking efforts on this board, so any advice is greatly appreciated.

thecatspajamas
08-23-2012, 04:00 PM
Amateur non-professional advice: use a tripod or other stationary set-up with a remote trigger, and avoid using any kind of flash. Finding a location where there are no lights reflecting on the glossy surface while keeping the camera perpendicular to the photo has always been a challenge for me, but depending on the type of print you're photographing, may not be an issue for those with "flat" surfaces.

Also, many digital cameras have a "macro" setting for photographing things close up that you will probably want to use (on Canon cameras, it's the little tulip icon). I remember thinking my camera was crap for close-up photos for the longest time until a relative pointed that out to me. I guess it really does pay to read the manual sometimes :)

71buc
08-23-2012, 05:29 PM
Kinkos has the ability to scan larger photos and save them to disc. I did this in the past with over sized photos and flat display pieces and it was fairly inexpensive.

Runscott
08-23-2012, 05:35 PM
Thanks, guys. Being lazy and not having easy access to natural light devoid of reflections, looks like I'll be heading to Kinkos.