PDA

View Full Version : Tips for Finding Obscure Cards at eBay

GregMitch34
08-21-2012, 01:07 PM
I've become more of a "type" collector of late, getting one example of different types, and I often marvel at the pickups shown here, of varying condition and rarity. I realize people make deals or trades here, but how can one easily search for the more obscure cards at eBay? It's easy to find the more popular issues, one can search by a "t" or "d" number etc. (if you can remember it) but that's not so easy with the more obscure issues--and some of them I've never heard of before seeing them here.

Any tips for eBay searching?

t206blogcom
08-21-2012, 02:28 PM
I share your frustration, but I'm not sure others would be willing to share their methods or secret search formulas as then there'd be more people finding and bidding on the items. More competition = higher prices = fewer pickups.

rdixon1208
08-21-2012, 02:50 PM
This kind of reminds me of a thread that I saw a while back on a fishing forum where a guy was new to the area and asking for the best spots to fish and baits to use for fishing one of the local lakes at night. The only tips he got were "Watch out for snakes" and "Don't fall out of the boat."

GregMitch34
08-21-2012, 02:54 PM
So, "friends" here not really "collegial," huh?

Pup6913
08-21-2012, 03:01 PM
lots of searching

Leon
08-21-2012, 03:05 PM
So, "friends" here not really "collegial," huh?

Collegial but also very competitive. I do tons of searches and help folks a ton....but on searches I think everyone needs to be careful not to fall out of the boat and watch for the snakes. :)

pariah1107
08-21-2012, 03:10 PM
I'll share one of my "secrets"; One of my foci is Central Washington University baseball. Obscure, yes, but everyone from Hunky Shaw to Billy North played for them. I look for past university names including Central Washington Normal School, CW College of Education, CW State College etc. Found more under those headings than any other.

GregMitch34
08-21-2012, 03:15 PM
"Collegial" friends, not "collegiate."

Leon
08-21-2012, 03:29 PM
"Collegial" friends, not "collegiate."

I actually used an online dictionary and it was wrong :confused:.

Matthew H
08-21-2012, 03:41 PM
I think the problem is that you're searching when you should be digging.

The times I've stumbled on an obscure issue were when digging through entire categories. Don't forget you can narrow results with negative search terms.

Jcfowler6
08-21-2012, 03:42 PM
Look everywhere but ebay

mybuddyinc
08-21-2012, 04:08 PM
I actually used an online dictionary and it was wrong :confused:.

You can't trust those on-liney things ...... you gotta go right to the book :)

..... although I don't see much difference :confused:

Back to topic:

I have sometimes found Luck * outside of basic "Sports/Mem/Cards," in "Collectibles/Tobacciana" - "Collectibles/Trading Cards - "Collectibles/Paper"" - etc.

* Key word.

rdwyer
08-21-2012, 05:45 PM
I use modifiers.

Example: T206 -topps -2009 -2010

(T206, but without Topps, 2009, 2010 in the title)

http://support.google.com/websearch/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=136861

Cat
08-21-2012, 05:52 PM
"Watch out for snakes"

That was going to be my advice but you beat me to it.

Wite3
08-21-2012, 06:30 PM
Actually, I, like Leon, do a lot of searches and tend to alert people when I come across something they might want. The best method I have found is make it known what you are looking for (people know I like obscure Phillies and t205s) and often people will alert you to something they found. Of course, you have to make friends and participate in the board enough to earn people's respect and trust but, honestly, that is not that hard to do. Good luck!

Joshua

PS The B/S/T is often way better than ebay anyway!

TUM301
08-21-2012, 08:15 PM
Hit em where they aint !

ChiSoxFan
08-21-2012, 08:44 PM
PS The B/S/T is often way better than ebay anyway!

+1

ChiSoxFan

alanu
08-22-2012, 08:53 PM
The best tip is not to tell anyone your real best tip.

Exhibitman
08-23-2012, 06:28 AM
Time and consistency. I spend way too much time on Ebay every day digging for stuff I collect.

christopher.herman
08-23-2012, 06:48 AM
The best method I have found is make it known what you are looking for (people know I like obscure Phillies and t205s) and often people will alert you to something they found.

Agreed. "Collecting karma" has been very real for me in my dealings here. No better feeling than the unsolicited PM or email from a board member who has a card that he thinks that you'd be interested in.
Good luck,
Christopher.

sportscardpete
08-23-2012, 06:49 AM
The best steals of them all are the listings that have an incorrect title. Finding those are by chance.. My favorite is something like -

Old tobacco card hindu

Since the t206 designation isn't in there - the card will sell for less.

(t206, t 206) -topps -etopps -2010 -2009 -honus -rp -reprint -reprints -grandpasattic (kidding)

^^ that's a good search for weeding out t206's. Also put it in "auction only" format. Don't be afraid to use a "-" to get rid of unwanted cards. I always put -helmar in all my searches.

Just my two cents.

When I first started someone gave me really helpful tips on finding good deals; I'm just returning the favor.

I will say I have a few others up my sleeve, but as everyone else here stated it wouldn't be in their (or my) best interest to share :)

Lordstan
08-23-2012, 06:51 AM
I collect mainly memorabilia and autographs. We have no classification system to use to search, so sometimes it can be even more random to find some rare items.
In my mind, there are really no tricks. There is time and effort.

As Rdwyer stated, using modifiers can help eliminate stuff from your search you don't want. This can cut down on the number of items you need to search, but, unfortunately, the more you narrow your search, the less hidden stuff you'll tend to find.

camlov2
08-23-2012, 07:26 AM
here ya go...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Cards-/212/i.html?_nkw=obscure

Deertick
08-23-2012, 08:15 AM
here ya go...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Cards-/212/i.html?_nkw=obscure

:D Surprised it took 23 posts

GregMitch34
08-23-2012, 08:21 AM
Thanks to SportsCardPete, who actually provided a few tips.

rhettyeakley
08-23-2012, 02:56 PM
Actually you have gotten some great tips from people but apparently since they may require some work on your part you aren't interested in them. My advice would be to be appreciative of any tips you get but that may be too difficult. People spend a lot of time and effort finding those pickups you spoke of, when you are willing to do the same you will probably have some cool pickups to share as well.

brianp-beme
08-23-2012, 03:36 PM
I agree with Rhett...I have been collecting vintage consistently for 30 years and my dilligence has paid off with plenty of little nuggets over that time. It however, has almost been a second job for me. Like Rhett has, I feel that I have provided lots of useful information on this board about a variety of subjects, but this is one each collector should have to be forced to stick their nose to grindstone until it is almost a divining rod for locating cards.

Brian

Exhibitman
08-23-2012, 03:39 PM
Actually you have gotten some great tips from people but apparently since they may require some work on your part you aren't interested in them. My advice would be to be appreciative of any tips you get but that may be too difficult. People spend a lot of time and effort finding those pickups you spoke of, when you are willing to do the same you will probably have some cool pickups to share as well.

+1

That's why I come home from the National physically exhausted--I roam the floor from before opening until the close every day searching for hidden gems.

packs
08-23-2012, 03:52 PM
My best deals of all time all came from accidental hits on casual typos.

Example: I picked up a Bob Ewing Carl Horner cabinet because I typed in baseball cabient instead of baseball cabinet.

Example 2: I was searching GC Alexander and accidentally typed in GL Alexander. Much to my surprise I stumbled upon a listing for a GL Alexander signed baseball. It was an authentic Grover Cleveland signed baseball with a Buy It Now of $80. I scooped it right up.

pariah1107
09-25-2012, 09:42 AM
... Or you could just get lucky. Ran into this on ebay yesterday while searching "Seattle Pilots". It was mislabeled as "Navy or Seattle Pilots early PCL Photo":D. Had to look twice and thought I recognized the jerseys. Sure enough, it really appears to be Hawthorne Naval Ammunition Depot vs. Scott Motors of Reno of the Western Nevada League. Scott Motors was a team from 1932-35, and I'm assuming it is 1935 from the cars in the background.

Jimmy Claxton played for them from 1933-35. The pitcher in this game is right-handed. The first baseman has a similar build to Claxton (about 5'9" & 170 lbs.), but it is tough to tell if his glove is on his left or right hand. Can anyone tell by the way he is coming off the bag? Claxton also played right field in '35.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251006787928?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Unfortunately the seller would not provide information from the reverse of the photo as suggested in the description. It's a nice photo and goes with a Scott Motors Ticket I already have so I shelled out $10 and am hoping for the best.

dstudeba
09-25-2012, 10:03 AM

Time? Effort? That is no fun.

collectbaseball
09-26-2012, 08:48 PM
There's no 'solution' to the issue of finding things... you really have to churn through listings to find things. But there are ways to expedite the process. A few things I've learned:
1. Make use of all the different search variables ebay allows: () "" - *
2. Look through the advanced search options... different things will come up if you limit your search to items with only 10 bids or to items with no bids at all
3. Try out different spelling errors
4. Don't discount buy it now listings--I always thought it was easier to find 'steals' in auctions and BIN generally overpriced/good deals snatched up in an instant. But last week I picked up two Thornton Wilder (author, not baseball related) signed books for a grand total of $70 or so from two different sellers in BIN listings.
5. Always look at a seller's other listed items... as the saying goes, "where there's smoke, there's fire."