PDA

View Full Version : Perfect Game Pitchers Collections

isaac2004
08-21-2012, 10:11 AM
I have been collecting autos for a while now, but I never really thought to collect "groups" of players. I used to live in Seattle, and with Felix just throwing a perfect game, I decided to look more into the Perfect game, I came to the realization that since 1950, there have been 18 Perfect Games, and I have 13 of them, which I think is pretty darn good. To brag, I have linked to my collection.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/te2r8n6ytb79hda/fadR3DMJbp

If you have any of the 5 I dont have (Witt, Halladay, Braden, Cain, Humber), send me a PM

MooseDog
08-21-2012, 06:27 PM
Issac - nice idea.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I think at least 5 of those aren't signed by the pitcher's they represent:

Koufax
Bunning
Hernandez
Cone
Rogers

I could be wrong. Rogers is near impossible to get.

packs
08-21-2012, 08:57 PM
Is Kenny Rogers that tough now? I got him a bunch of times at Tigers spring training when he was on the team.

Wow. He sells for a lot on eBay. I had no idea.

Scott Garner
08-22-2012, 06:17 AM
Is Kenny Rogers that tough now? I got him a bunch of times at Tigers spring training when he was on the team.

Wow. He sells for a lot on eBay. I had no idea.

The thing with The Gambler is that he infrequently does paid signings. The last time he did, his asking price was somewhere around $125. The Rogers ball that was posted on this thread features an extremely long "y" and "g" that I am not familiar with either. I have managed to get Rogers' sig once while on the Rangers and twice while on the Tigers. None of these sigs looked like the one on the ball.

Isaac,

I would agree with Packs that a couple of the perfect game pitchers mentioned appear to be "drawn" on some of these balls, not signed. Further due diligence would be helpful.

I'm with you that this is a fun theme to collect since the number of perfect game pitchers Don Larsen and beyond is definitely attainable.

Here are a few perfect game pitcher sigs that I received in person, just as a means of comparison.

I hope this helps.

bender07
08-22-2012, 06:28 AM
Scott - I know this is getting repetitive at this point, but I'll say, once again, that love that Koufax signed ticket!

Scott Garner
08-22-2012, 06:49 AM
Scott - I know this is getting repetitive at this point, but I'll say, once again, that love that Koufax signed ticket!

Thanks Mark. I really love the way the ticket turned out too.
I've actually owned the stub since the mid 1990's and it's one of my favorites in my collection.

It came out of a collection of 15 no-hit and perfect game tickets that I acquired and was the crown jewel. This same collection also contained a ticket stub from Jim Bunning's perfect game in 1964 that was vintage signed in ball point pen in the 1960's.

bender07
08-22-2012, 06:50 AM
It came out of a collection of 15 no-hit and perfect game tickets that I acquired and was the crown jewel. This same collection also contained a ticket stub from Jim Bunning's perfect game in 1964 that was vintage signed in ball point pen in the 1960's.

Got a scan?

Scott Garner
08-22-2012, 06:54 AM
Mark,
Here you go! I have posted this once before, BTW

isaac2004
08-22-2012, 08:37 AM
Sorry this took long to respond..

The Rogers I got in person at a game the 3rd time he played for the Rangers (2004) I believe

The Cone I got in person when he was at a rehab assignment in Norwhich in 1996

The Martinez and Koufax could very well be fakes since I got them from a guy with some other baseballs.

The Bunning I bought at a show a while back, no cert so I got a good deal and it looks real good to me, issue is that the marker is fading...

Thoughts everyone?

isaac2004
08-22-2012, 08:44 AM
Actually now that I think about it, I have a Tristar Cert for the Bunning I believe, I have to check.

Oh and the Felix I got in person at Seattle Mariners fan fest 2 years ago, got a hat signed by him too, if anyone wants to see that.

Scott Garner
08-22-2012, 09:23 AM
Isaac,
The Dennis Martinez is fine and is a nice example.

I mostly was concerned with the Rogers because I don't recall him signing like that. Since you got it in person, you should have no concern.

Bunning looks a little different that I've seen him sign, but it's unlikely that anyone would fake him since his sigs are readily available.

I don't have any experience with Felix Hernandez, so I can't comment on him.

Koufax is a commonly forged autograph, but I don't feel 100% confident commenting on yours, one way or another. You may want to have others give you their 2 cents.

Thanks for sharing your collection with us!

isaac2004
08-22-2012, 09:28 AM
Isaac,
The Dennis Martinez is fine and is a nice example.

I mostly was concerned with the Rogers because I don't recall him signing like that. Since you got it in person, you should have no concern.

Bunning looks a little different that I've seen him sign, but it's unlikely that anyone would fake him since his sigs are readily available.

I don't have any experience with Felix Hernandez, so I can't comment on him.

Koufax is a commonly forged autograph, but I don't feel 100% confident commenting on yours, one way or another. You may want to have others give you their 2 cents.

Thanks for sharing your collection with us!

Only thing that sucks about that Rogers ball is that there are some other sigs on it that I have no clue who they are (help with that would be nice)

Yea I have always been worried about the Koufax, big give away is the S.

Sandy usually didnt put that upline through the circle and I have a few like that, and I always thought they were fake. I have seen a few with JSA on ebay with the line through, so I started thinking they were rushed or his autographed changed. Never know.

If there is a Sandy expert here, I would love their opinion.

MooseDog
08-22-2012, 10:33 AM
Isaac -

I stand corrected, and am happy to be proven wrong in this case. You can't beat an in-person signature, just goes to show how difficult this hobby can be sometimes. I agree with Scott that the Martinez is fine. No worries there.

You are lucky you got Rogers when you did. Someone must have really pissed him off at some point because he just stopped signing cold (except for big money of course).

isaac2004
08-22-2012, 11:18 AM
Isaac -

I stand corrected, and am happy to be proven wrong in this case. You can't beat an in-person signature, just goes to show how difficult this hobby can be sometimes. I agree with Scott that the Martinez is fine. No worries there.

You are lucky you got Rogers when you did. Someone must have really pissed him off at some point because he just stopped signing cold (except for big money of course).

I dont remember the story that well but I know I was out of clean balls and he didnt seem to mind there were other sigs on it. It was also during warmups so he may have not even noticed

isaac2004
08-23-2012, 06:56 AM
And I just got a Halladay!!!

Mr. Zipper
08-23-2012, 08:35 AM
Actually now that I think about it, I have a Tristar Cert for the Bunning I believe, I have to check..

Might want to double check the Bunning. It's on a China ball and I doubt Tristar would use one of those for one of their signings.

Mr. Zipper
08-23-2012, 08:40 AM
I'm not a Koufax expert, but you can clearly see this signature is slowly drawn. Look at the loop of the S, and the right side of the K to see the slowness. Based on that alone I'd say it's almost certainly bad. Sorry.

How did you obtain the Larsen? Perhaps it was signed a long time ago, but it seems much smaller and tighter than he has signed in quite some time.

Scott Garner
08-23-2012, 10:12 AM
I'm not a Koufax expert, but you can clearly see this signature is slowly drawn. Look at the loop of the S, and the right side of the K to see the slowness. Based on that alone I'd say it's almost certainly bad. Sorry.

How did you obtain the Larsen? Perhaps it was signed a long time ago, but it seems much smaller and tighter than he has signed in quite some time.

Steve (Zip),

This was my initial impression on the Koufax as well. I also want to note that I didn't realize at the time that I could blow up the size of the signature on the image. Once I read your comment, I looked at it again. When blown up it becomes pretty obvious, FWIW.

Mr. Zipper
08-23-2012, 10:37 AM
Steve (Zip),

This was my initial impression on the Koufax as well. I also want to note that I didn't realize at the time that I could blow up the size of the signature on the image. Once I read your comment, I looked at it again. When blown up it becomes pretty obvious, FWIW.

I suspect if you had it in hand, the Koufax ball would smell like fresh Florida sunshine and sand. ;)

isaac2004
08-23-2012, 11:26 AM

I actually have 2 Larsens, one is on a ball with yogi berra and the other is on a ball with David wells.

I got both at shows a while back, not sure on the years of the signatures

HOFautosChris
08-27-2012, 04:41 PM
Tristar did use China balls unfortunatley. Believe Its from a hidden treasures product remember getting a berra if memory serves.

isaac2004
08-27-2012, 04:48 PM
Tristar did use China balls unfortunatley. Believe Its from a hidden treasures product remember getting a berra if memory serves.

I just looked, the Browning I have is tristar. There is no cert for the Bunning.