PDA

View Full Version : Red Sun Jefferies T226 WOW

aljurgela
08-20-2012, 09:10 AM
So last night, I see a T226 Red Sun Jeffries on ebay for $100 with 15 minutes left. Had been traveling and not seen this. I hang on and bid $888 thinking that I may have a shot and I really do not need the card as I have one. Needless to say, someone sniped me in the last few seconds and it ended at $900 .... still a fantastic price for this card (IMO)...

I was a bit dissapointed (I guess I could have bid more)... but the real thing that I was shocked with was the fact that the third bidder was only at $325.

If I had not showed up (by chance)... this card would have sold for $335!

Wow. I imagine that the Drier set is coming to market soon... any thoughts on those prices.... thanks.

Leon
08-20-2012, 10:36 AM
So last night, I see a T226 Red Sun Jeffries on ebay for $100 with 15 minutes left. Had been traveling and not seen this. I hang on and bid $888 thinking that I may have a shot and I really do not need the card as I have one. Needless to say, someone sniped me in the last few seconds and it ended at $900 .... still a fantastic price for this card (IMO)...

I was a bit dissapointed (I guess I could have bid more)... but the real thing that I was shocked with was the fact that the third bidder was only at $325.

If I had not showed up (by chance)... this card would have sold for $335!

Wow. I imagine that the Drier set is coming to market soon... any thoughts on those prices.... thanks.

Cool story Al. I don't follow boxing that much but know those are very scarce cards. My guess is that the Drier collection of them will do very well. They will be promoted much better to a more well heeled, different audience.

Exhibitman
08-20-2012, 01:04 PM
The ending price doesn't shock me as much as how little action the card got. I guess that is the risk of selling during the height of vacation season in the USA. Pre-crash that is a $1,500-$2,000 card any day of the week. Then again, there has been weakness in T226s for a while--that's how you scored that Jack Johnson, Al. Gary S. also had several higher grade commons [SGC 70s] up for $150 each this week that did not sell at all. He had them at the National on his table and they did not move. Before the Crash, those cards would have flown off the table at $250 each. Makes me wish all the more that I'd not ponied up for the Hull Collection SGC 60 Jeffries. Still, a nice looking card, even if its value has declined a bunch:

http://photos.imageevent.com/exhibitman/rareboxingcards/websize/T226%20Jeffries%201.jpg

The offerings on the Dreier collection should be an interesting test of the set.

aljurgela
08-20-2012, 08:44 PM
Adam,

That must be the best Jefferies. I actually imagined that the Drierīs had that one.

Yes, that one went for some serious coin, but I am not sure that there is a better one (unless Brent has one!). Still shocked that the PSA 3 Jefferies could have gone for $300. $900 is low in my (but not terrible), but litereally if I did not show up by chance, it would have sold for $600 less!

Letīs see how the Drier collection goes. Should be fasinating!

Al

scooter729
08-23-2012, 04:31 AM
Remember, it may not necessarily have gone for just $335. There could've been other snipes for $500 or anything less than $888 which didn't go off because the bid was already at $888. So despite what you see for the bids, there may have been some other planned snipes.

aljurgela
08-23-2012, 06:12 PM
Remember, it may not necessarily have gone for just $335. There could've been other snipes for $500 or anything less than $888 which didn't go off because the bid was already at $888. So despite what you see for the bids, there may have been some other planned snipes.

Good point Scott. Forgot about that. That could have easily been the case.