PDA

View Full Version : Going to Meet Carl Erskine Tomorrow and have a question...

jgmp123
08-19-2012, 07:58 PM
I was thinking of asking him to sign either my 1955 World Series Ticket Stub or Program, but am not 100% sure that I want to...

What do you guys think?

Would you have him sign either??

39special
08-19-2012, 08:07 PM
Have him sign both!

GrayGhost
08-19-2012, 08:08 PM
I wouldn't have him sign EITHER , unless they r in beat shape. If only one, Id have the program signed.

jgmp123
08-19-2012, 08:21 PM
The stub is from Game 3 and the program is from game 5...His only appearance was in game 4...so that is why I'm not sure...

39special
08-19-2012, 08:50 PM
Yeah,I can see not getting the ticket signed.But I would get the program signed.

jgmp123
08-19-2012, 08:55 PM
Cover or inside on his Picture?

mr2686
08-19-2012, 10:48 PM
James, if it were me, I'd get the program signed only and I'd have it signed on the cover in case you want to display it.

Scott Garner
08-20-2012, 04:21 AM
James, if it were me, I'd get the program signed only and I'd have it signed on the cover in case you want to display it.

+1

mschwade
08-20-2012, 02:27 PM
I was thinking of asking him to sign either my 1955 World Series Ticket Stub or Program, but am not 100% sure that I want to...

What do you guys think?

Would you have him sign either??

I just saw you post in another thread.. What the heck?! How'd the breakfast go?!!!

jgmp123
08-20-2012, 02:32 PM
I will post my notes from the discussion this evening...It was a wonderful experience. The man refused to let me pay for my pancakes! A truly great individual.

jgmp123
08-20-2012, 05:32 PM
Some quick notes from my meeting today with Mr. Erskine....

• Koufax was plucked directly from the sandlot and was given a $20k bonus to sign and in that time it was a lot of money to give someone not established. Anything $20k or more owners required those players to be added to active roster and no farm systems for them. So Koufax put directly on the roster with no formal training/pitching background. There were many times that Koufax felt guilty because he didn’t fit in and felt that he was taking a roster spot from someone more deserving. Carl told me that in 1959, Koufax told him on more than one occasion that he was going to retire and buy into a Los Angeles radio station, but felt like he owed one more season to the Dodgers because of the money they invested in him.

• Frank kellert had the best view of Jackie stealing home in Game 1 and after game said he thought Jackie was out…Later on in the locker room, Jackie had to be restrained from trying to choke Kellert.

• The Brow: Charlie DiGiovanni’s boss was a snake of a man and really gave the Brow a hard time if something didn’t get finished. For instance, several dozen items had to be signed daily by the team (it was just part of the job) and the Brow was a pretty smart kid. He realized early that he needed to check that all the baseballs, yearbooks, etc. were signed by all members of the team. If a signature was missing, then he had to add it. It was never out of malice, but rather to make sure that he didn’t catch fire for the job not being complete.

• Favorite piece of advice he ever received: During his rookie season, Hugh Casey walked up to him and said; “Welcome to the big leagues. There are guys in this league that will hit .330 .340 every season off pitchers in the league and they will hit .330 .340 off of you too. Don’t focus on those guys, but rather the guys hitting ahead of them.” He said that is why he was so successful when he pitched. Focus on the guys ahead and get them out, then give up the double to the big hitter and leave him on base.

• Toughest lineup he had to face: St. Louis Cardinals – Stan Musial followed by Red Schoendienst followed by Enos Slaughter. Said he always pitched well against Stan, but the other guys sometimes gave him fits. He said, “I never liked facing 3 Hall of Famers in one inning”…

• Carl still can’t believe the things that Jackie had to go threw to play baseball. Remembered a time when the KKK showed up at the team hotel and threatened to kill Jackie if he played the next day….

And did I mention the guy bought my pancakes!! He refused to let me pay. He also asked for my address so he could send me a couple things(what? I have no idea).

A class act.:)

39special
08-20-2012, 06:24 PM
Great stuff James!!!!

mr2686
08-20-2012, 06:33 PM
Great stories, especially the Kellert/Robinson story. Just a couple weeks later, Kellert would be put on waivers and off to the Cubs.

JimStinson
08-21-2012, 04:37 PM
Love it !!!