PDA

View Full Version : Birth Date of one of the Pirates Greatest

TipTopBread
08-18-2012, 05:09 PM
Today 78 years ago, AUGUST 18, 1934 ROBERTO WALKER CLEMENTE was born. Watching the Pirates of 2012 always reminds me of the Pirate great right fielder who touched the hearts of the baseball world! GOD BLESS YOU - ROBERTO...

WhenItWasAHobby
08-18-2012, 05:19 PM
Thanks for posting! Truly one of baseball's best on the field as well as off.

Theoldprofessor
08-18-2012, 07:10 PM
Thanks for reminding us. I lived in Pgh. and saw him play many times. The basket catch and the slingshot arm, and most especially charging around the bases in that left-right wig-wag gallop. A man who often tried to give even more that he had, until one sad sad day, he gave everything. I'd never cried for a ballplayer before, and never since, but that day I had to.

Rest In Peace, Roberto. You are a true American sportsman.

Mark
08-18-2012, 07:12 PM
Posted this on the memorabelia side, too. Got this signed by the great Roberto himself:

rainier2004
08-18-2012, 07:17 PM
Fits every definition of a hero...

z28jd
08-18-2012, 07:35 PM
Wow, just posted in the memorabilia side because I was surprised to see a thread about him there(only saw it because it had the last comment when I was on the main page). Anywho, I'll post it here because I was curious about it so maybe somewhere else cares. Did you ever wonder what baseball thought about the Pirates taking him that day in the rule V draft? Whether it made a ripple in the news. If you follow baseball close, most of these picks barely get a mention today and most don't stick with their new team. Thought this info was cool, especially the New York Times headline about the draft and everyone outside of Brooklyn/Pittsburgh caring more about Mickey Grasso!

http://blogs.piratesprospects.com/history/roberto-clemente-his-first-day-with-the-pirates/

wazoo
08-18-2012, 07:47 PM
Great post. Aside from the amazing baseball player he was, it's amazing how he wanted to help others in their worst state of being. It's a tragedy that he was killed in the plane that was carrying the supplies. He will always be remembered as the hero he was.

Brian Van Horn
08-18-2012, 08:29 PM

itjclarke
08-18-2012, 09:15 PM
I was always taken by Clemente's story, and collecting his cards was one of my first passions as a younger collector. Amazing player and person. I only wish I could've seen him play.

Pardon the grainy phone pic.. only shot I have of this group. Happy birthday Roberto.