PDA

View Full Version : Mantle with a ScoreBoard Cert

isaac2004
08-17-2012, 12:39 PM
Someone on Craigslist is selling this Mantle, has a cert from Scoreboard (yea yea I know)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/olfo6bfq2e9t6r9/Mantle2.jpeg

I want to get one of the Mantle expert's opinions on this. Lines look good, Ms look right...

THoughts?

Mr. Zipper
08-17-2012, 12:44 PM
No good and likely not an original Scoreboard cert in my opinion.

isaac2004
08-17-2012, 12:55 PM
No good and likely not an original Scoreboard cert in my opinion.

I bet your right, can you give me some insight on what are the "telll-tale" signs of a bad Mantle?

Lordstan
08-17-2012, 03:33 PM
Isaac,

Welcome to the board. There is a lot of knowledge to be gained here. Many very experienced collectors frequent these boards and are willing to help.
A couple of points of advice.
A) Use the search feature. Mantle autographs have been discussed forever here. You will find many posts about them which should help get you started.
B) Many collectors will not give specifics about the characteristics of certain autos on the general board, as many bad people read the board as well. Lurk or research a little to find out who has an area of interest and then PM them with specific questions.

Hope that helps.

Best,
Mark

kengoldin
08-17-2012, 03:45 PM
I do not like to comment from computer images, as it is never like being handed the item. That being said, this is not an authentic Mantle.

As posted previously, If anyone every has a question, feel free to email me at ken@goldinauctions.com

I have gotten several emails on similar questions, ,and the memorabilia and game used group here seems to be a nice group of guys and If i can help in any way I am available to do so.
regards
Ken
ps: in the future with these threads, always beneficial if you show the cert, as well as the unsigned portion of the ball

thetruthisoutthere
08-17-2012, 03:48 PM
Not authentic.

scmavl
08-18-2012, 03:57 PM
Bad, bad, bad... Stay away. Without giving away any "trade secrets", just look at the M in Mantle. That is AWFUL. It's not even level.

Mantle is up there with Ruth and Gehrig as the most often forged signatures. Do a search and look at the Mantle autos that people on this board say are good. Study those. You'll figure out many of the common forgeries and mistakes/discrepancies they have. That's what I've done but I still get fooled sometimes.