PDA

View Full Version : Can you no longer leave Neg feedback on ebay as a seller?

Blunder19
08-15-2012, 10:00 PM
I just had a guy never pay for a card... never communicated with me.. nothing...

I opened and closed a case to get a refund on ebay.... I went to leave neg feedback as a non paying buyer... and ebay told me I couldn't leave feedback because he never paid..???

who runs that company? did he get a highschool diploma?

wazoo
08-15-2012, 10:05 PM
Yup. EBay changed the policy, only buyers can.

jimross
08-15-2012, 10:31 PM
That's the reason why I stopped selling on eBay. eBay is buyers' world now. Even Paypal also protects buyers only. I have enough dealing with those bad buyers and not worth my time to sell there anymore.

eBay forgets without sellers listing stuffs and paying them fees they would have gone out of business.

rp12367
08-16-2012, 05:33 AM
eBay forgets without sellers listing stuffs and paying them fees they would have gone out of business.

+1

ullmandds
08-16-2012, 06:24 AM
i used to own a bunch of ebay stock...but I sold it all off a year or two ago because of all of the stupid little changes they were making that affected me(a 1 celled organism) as a seller...I figured they were going to run the business into the ground.

Fast forward to present day...the value of the stock has more than doubled since I sold...so I can only assume what they are doing is increasing their profitability...which is all they care about!

They may appear dumb to us...but obviously they know what they are doing to remain profitable!

rainier2004
08-16-2012, 06:37 AM
Peter, thats crazy the stock has doubled! I only buy bb cards on ebay so my perspective is very skewed. I feel that ebay is becoming obsolete for vintage bb cards and eventually most of that business will go to all the upspringing auction house...it has become scary to sell on the bay.

markf31
08-16-2012, 06:39 AM
From what I have been able to gather is that the ability to leave negative feedback was being abused by many and too often became a tool of “he said – she said” where a buyer would post perhaps a truthfully negative feedback about a seller, only to have the seller, out of spite, reply with a similar negative feedback or vice versa. Users were becoming hesitant to report negatively, even if the transaction warranted negative feedback in fear of a reprisal in the form of a false negative. The feedback system was severely flawed in this respect and I don’t know how else they could have addressed the issue.

My guess is Ebay figured the Seller’s rating was more important than a buyers. As a buyer, what is one of the first things you do when looking at and thinking about bidding on an item? You look at seller’s rating, feedback and history. This happens with almost every transaction from a buyers standpoint, it certainly does for me as a buyer. Especially in regards to the autograph side of our hobby where a sellers rating and track record is extremely important. But how many sellers take the time to investigate the rating and feedback of each and every bidder to see if they have negative feedback or a previous un-paid auction win? My guess is very very few. My guess is that sellers rarely, if ever, utilize a buyers feedback during the auction to reject a bid based on feedback, rating or their history. As a result a buyer’s rating, feedback and history is much less relevant and important to Ebay than the seller’s is.

Ebay keeps track of buyers who don’t pay when you as a seller report them. I’m not sure how many “did not pay” instances a buyer is allowed but I wouldn’t think it would be many.

ullmandds
08-16-2012, 07:07 AM
:mad:

sportscardpete
08-16-2012, 07:27 AM
What drives Ebay then?

ullmandds
08-16-2012, 07:28 AM
Nice Pete...T206 talk does!!!!!!

SushiX37
08-16-2012, 07:48 AM
I've been buying and selling on eBay since the late 1990s. I was there before it was mainstream, and have ridden the waves ever since. While I may not agree with their current philosophy, I'm still hooked on the peer to peer aspect that still exists. They can take away features, make constant changes, and discourage small time sellers. But in the end there are guys like me that come back because of the very nature of the site. It's still one guy buying from either an individual or shop. It's stuff I wouldn't have access to otherwise.

I guess it's one of those "I don't care how the sausage is made, I just want it to taste good" things.

Rich

ullmandds
08-16-2012, 07:53 AM
rich...I agree...I still use it...for a myriad of things...not just bb cards...it is still "king"...no other auction site comes close?!

kmac32
08-16-2012, 12:53 PM
I recently sold some stuff on eBay (mainly not sports related) and was a little concerned about what feedback the generally flaky buyers would leave. Emailed and did everything correctly on shipping. A little over half the buyers didn't leave feedback. At least I got no negatives but it really makes you question how valid the feedback system is. The only way we knew if the packages were delivered was by having delivery confirmation on them.

Kmac

D. Bergin
08-16-2012, 01:34 PM
I recently sold some stuff on eBay (mainly not sports related) and was a little concerned about what feedback the generally flaky buyers would leave. Emailed and did everything correctly on shipping. A little over half the buyers didn't leave feedback. At least I got no negatives but it really makes you question how valid the feedback system is. The only way we knew if the packages were delivered was by having delivery confirmation on them.

Kmac

I've never once asked or expected feedback from buyers, but I have noticed less and less buyers are bothering to leave any.

I'll even admit, I'm much more likely (pretty close to 100% likely to leave feedback for a buyer of mine), then I am to remember to leave feedback for somebody I've bought from.

For a seller to leave feedback for a buyer, the process is actually much more streamlined and simplified then the other way around. I think once the DSR scores became a factor, buyers have been less and less inclined to take the time to bother with the extra steps of leaving a simple feedback.

kmac32
08-16-2012, 01:42 PM
When I buy, I always leave feedback. It is one way to keep track of the things I have received and things I am still waiting for. I have never asked for anyone to leave feedback, but it is implied that one should leave it. It's also a way that you can tell if things arrived in a timely fashion. Think not leaving feedback is just another indication of the"me" generation. You would think that more than 50% would leave feedback but that has not been my experience.

D. Bergin
08-16-2012, 02:17 PM
When I buy, I always leave feedback. It is one way to keep track of the things I have received and things I am still waiting for. I have never asked for anyone to leave feedback, but it is implied that one should leave it. It's also a way that you can tell if things arrived in a timely fashion. Think not leaving feedback is just another indication of the"me" generation. You would think that more than 50% would leave feedback but that has not been my experience.

Ebay has basically de-incentivized feedback. It means nothing at all for a buyer to receive a feedback, since it's impossible for somebody who is strictly a buyer to fall below 100%.

Since it means nothing to them, why should they go out of their way to leave feedback for us?

Not saying it's right, it just is what it is...........and it is what Ebay has made itself into. Don't think it's a sign of the times, just Ebay.