PDA

View Full Version : T216 Wagner (virginia extra back)

honus94566
08-15-2012, 09:57 AM
Does anybody know if this card even exists? The vintagecardprices database doesn't show any sales for any of the 4 possible variations of the card (batting, throwing, 2b, ss)

So I am guessing it just doesn't exist. But my real question is, were they never produced with virginia extra backs, or are there just not any surviving examples?

buymycards
08-15-2012, 03:41 PM
Hi Dave,
Finding info on the Louisiana issue is difficult. Both SGC and PSA have pop reports that are pretty much worthless.

PSA shows "Peoples" as a 1911-16 issue, with 144 cards graded. There isn't a Wagner and none of the back are identified so we don't know if they are Kotton, Mino, or Virginia Extra's.

SGC shows them as 1914. 1 VE, Dooin is graded, along with 3 Mino's. Kotton isn't listed, but 7 Peoples card are graded, so I'm guessing they are Kottons, but who knows?

The Standard Catalog seems to have written the same basic caption, along with the same basic checklist, for all 3 of the People's issues, but no one knows which cards are really in existence for Mino and VE's.

Lew Lipsett gives a pretty good explanation of the set, but once again, Lew doesn't seem to know which cards have been found.

Dave's Vintage Cards has a good selection of Kotton's and Mino's for sale.
https://www.gfg.com/baseball/nuaquire.shtml

BTW, the grading companies haven't done a great job identifying some of the other Louisiana issues, such as Weil Baking and Coupons.

Wish I could be more help!

Rick

honus94566
08-15-2012, 05:23 PM
The Kotton's aren't too hard to find... Most of the T216s have that back. I have a couple wagners with Kotton back. The mino's are pretty rare, I have only ever seen of a few, and they are expensive. There are a few on ebay right now, seller wants 30K+ for the pair.

Anyway, thanks for the link and info!

Leon
08-15-2012, 05:51 PM
Virginia Extra backs are by far the toughest T216s. My thought is that all players were made and only a scant few survived, especially in nice condition. "Nice" condition for these is anything better than beat to He!!. I have never seen a Wags and if one exists it would be very rare. The reason these are so tough is their limited distribution and their paper-thin stock they are made on.