PDA

View Full Version : New N172 Old Judge Jack Glasscock Variation?

ngrow9
08-15-2012, 09:34 AM
I recently purchased a beat-up, apparently rebacked N172 Old Judge Glasscock card that has obviously seen better days, for what I thought was a reasonable price:

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/1887-Capt-Jack-Glasscock-Old-Judge-Baseball-Card-/00/s/MTAwMFg5OTY=/$(KGrHqZ,!p!F!Q,NZB06BQH)qHvU5g~~60_12.JPG

In researching the card a little more, I quickly realized that while I could find several examples of Glasscock pictured in a similar pose, those examples all appeared to be a different variation. Specifically, the more common example below is numbered in the upper right corner, includes a logo at the center top, does not feature the writing in the middle left of the image on my version, spells out "Indianapolis" in its entirety whereas mine abbreviates it "Indpls." (similar to the spelling used in a variation of the card featuring Glasscock leaning on his bat), and has a different style of bottom caption generally:

http://www.vintagecardprices.com/pics/64112.jpg

It appears that my copy of the card was previously sold at auction by REA in a lot back in 2007 (pictured in the second photo):

http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/auction/2007/77.html

As a relatively new collector of Old Judge cards, I was hoping to call on the board's collective expertise to help me understand what I've got here. Is this a known variation? A previously unknown variation? A reprint?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: In researching things a little more after my initial post, I noticed that there is also a similar variation of my Glasscock that sold at auction back in July, that is nearly identical except for the spelling of Indianapolis (it is spelled in full in the card below, whereas mine is abbreviated "Indpls."):

http://www.goodwinandco.com/LotImages/32/Lot131a_lg.jpeg

Any thoughts on the matter would be much appreciated.

egbeachley
08-15-2012, 03:54 PM
Before this drops off the front page, I'll try to answer even though I am not an Old Judge expert.

I believe you have a certain "pose" that is well documented. Meaning it's not new to the hobby. The differences you are seeing are the changes made from the various years that the card was printed. Some years they have a number, the next year they may abbreviate the team name, the next they may move the logo to the top, etc. Some cards could have been printed 4 (or more?) different times.

ngrow9
08-15-2012, 04:53 PM
Before this drops off the front page, I'll try to answer even though I am not an Old Judge expert.

I believe you have a certain "pose" that is well documented. Meaning it's not new to the hobby. The differences you are seeing are the changes made from the various years that the card was printed. Some years they have a number, the next year they may abbreviate the team name, the next they may move the logo to the top, etc. Some cards could have been printed 4 (or more?) different times.

Makes sense, thanks. Does everyone else agree?

Matthew H
08-15-2012, 05:17 PM
Eric is right, yours is an 1889 card.

You should pick up a copy of "The Photographic Baseball Cards of Goodwin & Company", it has all the info you need, including much of the stuff people don't really speak too much about :) It's worth every penny and then some.

Joe_G.
08-15-2012, 05:24 PM
Here is the current Cartophilic listing for that pose:

191-1 Throw, R/hand head high
a. Glasscock, S.S. Indianapolis (B-0337-A, Es, G)
b. Glassock, Short Stop, Indianapolis (B-0337-B)
c. Glasscock, S.S., Indianapolis (Fc)
d. Glasscock, S.S., Indpls (Fc)
e. Glasscock, S.S., New York (NL) (Fc)
f. Jack Glasscock, S.S., Indianapolis (G)

To completely disect this would take considerable space; you would be greatly aided by the Old Judge book "The Photographic Baseball Cards of Goodwin & Company (1886-1890)". In short, this pose was first issued in 1887 and reissued several times. The cabinets (G) could be from either 1888 or 1889 while there are some 1889 N172s (Fc) and even an 1890 example (NL, Fc). This pose is also catalogued as a Gypsy Queen (Es). So there are at least 8 different versions of this same pose. I say "at least" since this may very well be incomplete. Welcome to the Old Judge set !!

ngrow9
08-15-2012, 05:37 PM
Here is the current Cartophilic listing for that pose:

191-1 Throw, R/hand head high
a. Glasscock, S.S. Indianapolis (B-0337-A, Es, G)
b. Glassock, Short Stop, Indianapolis (B-0337-B)
c. Glasscock, S.S., Indianapolis (Fc)
d. Glasscock, S.S., Indpls (Fc)
e. Glasscock, S.S., New York (NL) (Fc)
f. Jack Glasscock, S.S., Indianapolis (G)

To completely disect this would take considerable space; you would be greatly aided by the Old Judge book "The Photographic Baseball Cards of Goodwin & Company (1886-1890)". In short, this pose was first issued in 1887 and reissued several times. The cabinets (G) could be from either 1888 or 1889 while there are some 1889 N172s (Fc) and even an 1890 example (NL, Fc). This pose is also catalogued as a Gypsy Queen (Es). So there are at least 8 different versions of this same pose. I say "at least" since this may very well be incomplete. Welcome to the Old Judge set !!

Thanks so much Joe, this is exactly what I was looking for. I suspected that it wasn't anything new, but just wanted to confirm.