PDA

View Full Version : authentication of golf ball autographs

mark evans
08-14-2012, 06:18 PM
I noticed on eBay that James Spence is authenticating autographs that appear on golf balls. I don't know squat about autographs (except that I got ripped off on a Neil Armstrong). But, I would be curious to hear from the board's experts as to whether such autographs, because of the size and curvature and dimpled surface of the ball, can be reliably authenticated.

travrosty
08-14-2012, 06:44 PM
I noticed on eBay that James Spence is authenticating autographs that appear on golf balls. I don't know squat about autographs (except that I got ripped off on a Neil Armstrong). But, I would be curious to hear from the board's experts as to whether such autographs, because of the size and curvature and dimpled surface of the ball, can be reliably authenticated.

it would be difficult in some circumstances to be sure as the acute curvature of the ball affects what the signature looks like verses a flat surface or less acutely curved surface.

whether or not reliable authentication can be proffered every time is subjective and i think sometimes it can depending on the signature and sometime it is questionable.

Scott Garner
08-14-2012, 08:11 PM
Rest assured that if there's a buck to be made in authenticating dimpled golf ball autographs that Jim Spence and PSA DNA will be "in the business"!

Mark this down as gospel, FWIW... ;)

Fuddjcal
08-15-2012, 03:40 PM

I would say a signed golf ball is about the dumbest thing that could ever be signed, collected or authenticated

alexautographs
08-17-2012, 02:55 PM
Virtually impossible to authenticate. Period.

shelly
08-19-2012, 10:47 AM
Think of it as check. If it bounces I would not buy it.

BrandonG
08-20-2012, 01:36 AM
Troy Aikman signed a golf ball for me years ago at a Pro-Am...Looks like a 5 year old got a hold of a sharpie and one of his dad's golf balls.

drc
08-20-2012, 02:11 AM
Signing tennis balls is also a bad idea from the start.

Duluth Eskimo
08-20-2012, 02:44 PM
Not sure why people are so negative. It's just like any other item that is not flat. If you are not in to golf, then don't worry why someone else would like it. It is what it is, just like a signed bat, ball, or jersey.

tinkereversandme
08-20-2012, 03:13 PM
I don't think it's about negativity but fact. Blue sharpiessigned slowly on a very small dimpled surface creates an authenticating nightmare. I have two of them signed and I could duplicate them in a second.

Regards,

Larry

Duluth Eskimo
08-20-2012, 03:40 PM
I hear what you are saying and I agree it is tough to feel confident about, but it doesn't make you an idiot because you like something someone else doesn't. The Thread went from asking a question to bashing on psa / jsa to how stupid it is to collect. Why would someone else care what anyone else collects.