PDA

View Full Version : What are the sets/issues that use photographs and not lithos

markf31
08-12-2012, 08:54 AM
I was curious as to what are the sets/issues that utilize photographs as opposed to litho prints. My knowledge is very limited as I'm still very new to prewar collecting. The ones I'm aware of are N172, Zeenut and Exhibits. What are some others?

Bicem
08-12-2012, 08:58 AM
well Fatimas are not only photo based, but actual real-photo cards.

yanksfan09
08-12-2012, 09:03 AM
There's a bunch, really too many to list. My favorite being the D381's.

E121's E220, Willards, Maple Cripette, M101-4/5 type issues, Collins-McCarthy, R315, W517 just to name a few....

Check out oldcardboard.com they show basically every pre war issue with a photo example (look at the gallery prints for a quick overview of different types), I love cards with real photos/black and white issues...

yanksfan09
08-12-2012, 09:07 AM
Just wanted to add that a lot of these type issues came in the time period 0f 1915-early/mid twenties at a time when they're weren't as many other issues to choose from, which is partly why I look at a lot of these sets as being significant. Many early Ruths are black and white photo issues...

bcbgcbrcb
08-12-2012, 10:30 AM
William Paterson, Baguer Chocolate & W590 (one of the very few, true strip card sets to qualify)

markf31
08-12-2012, 10:48 AM
There's a bunch, really too many to list. My favorite being the D381's.

E121's E220, Willards, Maple Cripette, M101-4/5 type issues, Collins-McCarthy, R315, W517 just to name a few....

Check out oldcardboard.com they show basically every pre war issue with a photo example (look at the gallery prints for a quick overview of different types), I love cards with real photos/black and white issues...

Thanks for the oldcardboard link, that will make my search much easier. I was not aware there were so many photo based prewar sets.

drc
08-12-2012, 11:24 AM
If you are asking which cards are actual photographs, Zeenuts, Exhibits, Maple Crispette and others mentioned are not photographs. They're ink and printing press prints.

Some cards that are actual photographs include N172 Old Judges, Gypsy Queens, Joseph Hall Cabinets, Lone Jack, Four Base Hits, T200 and T222 Fatimas, George Burke stamps, Topps Magic Photos, 1930s Ray O Prints. There are others that don't come to mind right now.

But after reading the response posts, I'm not sure what you meant by the original question.

yanksfan09
08-12-2012, 12:14 PM
Thanks for the oldcardboard link, that will make my search much easier. I was not aware there were so many photo based prewar sets.

Yeah there are quite a few issues. However, a lot of them are much scarcer and somewhat less collected than the colorful and more mainstream pre-war issues such as T206, Goudey, Diamond Stars etc...

The sets I am referring to are ones based off of photos as opposed to litho/drawings etc... and not necessarily actual photo cards.

markf31
08-12-2012, 01:21 PM
If you are asking which cards are actual photographs, Zeenuts, Exhibits, Maple Crispette and others mentioned are not photographs. They're ink and printing press prints...

...But after reading the response posts, I'm not sure what you meant by the original question.

...The sets I am referring to are ones based off of photos as opposed to litho/drawings etc... and not necessarily actual photo cards.

To clarify I was asking for sets based off photos (Zeenut, Exhibt, etc.) as opposed to litho/drawings (T205, T206, E90, etc). I did not know that many of the issues that appear to be photos are in fact ink prints such as Zeenuts and Exhibits. I seem to learn something new every time on the boards here, so thanks for the information!

steve B
08-12-2012, 05:27 PM
T206 were based on photos.
I believe T205 and E90-1 were as well.

Only a handful of sets are obviously based on something else.
E91- all of them
Buchners

Maybe a few others?

Steve B

brianp-beme
08-12-2012, 10:08 PM
T206 were based on photos.
I believe T205 and E90-1 were as well.

Only a handful of sets are obviously based on something else.
E91- all of them
Buchners

Maybe a few others?

Steve B

There was an interesting article posted here a few years back by someone by the name of Bri.an Parke.r about the E91 set and how the facial depictions of many of the 99 cards issued were based upon actual photographs of the players. Check it out!

Brian

steve B
08-13-2012, 08:57 AM
Interesting. I've always thought they were generic images reused. I'll have to find that article.

Steve B

brianp-beme
08-13-2012, 11:04 AM
Hi Steve,

You are not alone...many collectors still believe that all of the E91's are generic. Here is the link to the article:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=116102&highlight=e91

Brian