PDA

View Full Version : OT: George "The Animal" Steele

36GoudeyMan
08-10-2012, 04:50 PM
Am I the only one who remembers, with child-like giddiness, the surreal and unique pro wrestler named George "The Animal" Steele?

If anyone cares, Jim Myers (his real name) has his own website (complete with wrestling videos, links, etc.), and its really entertaining and interesting. On a lark, I Googled him, found him, and wrote a quick email to him, which he answered in less than 10 minutes. He's so much more than the wrestling character he played, and, I think, we all knew it but happily suspended our disbelief to make the passion play of good v. evil more enjoyable.

http://www.georgetheanimalsteele.com/

gorrister
08-10-2012, 05:30 PM
As a kid, he was my absolute favorite heel.

ibuysportsephemera
08-10-2012, 06:04 PM
George top right in 1974

GrayGhost
08-11-2012, 05:22 AM
I loved the Animal. Fantastic character

sox1903wschamp
08-11-2012, 04:28 PM
LOL....My nickname was "Animal Man" back in my youth in Suburban Boston. And the reason was only because I share the same last name as this cat. I had no idea who he was growing up in the early 70's but I learned thanks to the nickname. He was a cult figure with the older teenagers in my nieghborhood.

scooter729
08-11-2012, 06:31 PM
For those in the Boston area, I just saw a flyer today for a wrestling show in Watertown in September, where The Animal is scheduled to appear. This is the "high school gym" type of wrestling show, where there might be just a few hundred people.

I haven't gone to a wrestling event in 10+ years, but to see George Steele in my hometown, I might have to go!

Rickyy
08-12-2012, 01:48 AM
He adored Ms. Elizabeth.... :D

Ricky Y