PDA

View Full Version : Vintage tennis signatures: William Tilden

baseballart
08-08-2012, 09:55 PM
I don't think anyone has posted any vintage tennis autographs on here, perhaps an indication of the lack of collecting interest.

I've picked up a few signed tennis books along the way, and have found Bill Tilden's signature particularly appealing, given both its appearance, his success as tennis's first superstar in the US and his difficulties with his post-tennis career.

I just picked this up from his book The Pinch Quitters (the book itself I believe is very hard to find)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8428/7744183006_4c284b7503_b.jpg

drc
08-09-2012, 01:38 AM
I bought an assorted autograph collection that included some modern tennis stars like Bjorn Borg. I was surprised at the strong prices the got when I auctioned them. So there may be good demand for tennis. It has an international following.

JimStinson
08-09-2012, 08:24 AM
Nice find on the book ! In my opinion Bill Tilden is one of the hobby's most undervalued autographs. Considering his contribution to tennis (He was considered the Babe Ruth of tennis in the era in which he played) and his date of death. Seems like he should sell for alot more, Maybe it was his off the court antics. I recently sold this ledger page signed by Tilden on e-bay. It started at my normal $9.99 min bid with no reserve and it sold for around $150.00.

baseballart
08-09-2012, 09:26 AM
Thanks Jim. Love the address for Tilden's sign-in on your sheet.

As for the signature in my book, it's a nice example. However, as a book guy, I think I made a fundamental mistake in bidding--when I bid, I thought this was a book by Tilden but now in the light of day, I'm not so sure! Hunt's didn't have a scan, and the title isn't listed on LOC or bookfinder.com. Hunts didn't state that it was by Tilden, so I should have asked.

I'm still happy with the purchase, but likely overpaid by a considerable sum if it's not a book by Tilden (he did write a least two fiction books, including Glory's Net). Oh well, I think that the surprise of what will arrive will more than make up for any fiscal disappointment.

I did purchase two other book lots from Hunts at lower prices than expected, so I suspect it all evens out.

Max

baseballart
08-09-2012, 09:11 PM
It is a book actually authored by Tilden. I googled "pinch quitters" instead of "pinch quitter" which is why I couldn't find any hits.