PDA

View Full Version : The value of #1 cards

Jim65
08-06-2012, 05:33 PM
I was always under the impression that #1 cards had an increased value because they were harder to find in higher grades. Does their value go down drastically if found in lower grades or are they valued on the same scale as other cards in the set?

barrysloate
08-06-2012, 05:38 PM
A lower grade #1 card shouldn't command a premium, since the only thing it has going for it is it's condition sensitive. Nevertheless, some VG #1 cards still sell for a small premium. The 1933 Goudey Benny Bengough is an example of a card that usually sells for a little more than it should in pretty much any condition.

ullmandds
08-06-2012, 05:39 PM
I'd say there is def a premium placed on high grade...#1 cards...atleast from pre 1973 era...as theoretically the rubber bands used to contain cards back in the day would tend to damage the card(s) on top and bottom the most. In low grades...I'd guess the values would be commensurate with other commons...or possibly a little higher than a common.

sycks22
08-06-2012, 06:11 PM
I still laugh when a '51 Bowman Mays rookie is the same price as Whitey Ford

hangman62
08-06-2012, 06:56 PM
Ive always found that if your looking to buy a lower grade #1 card...the seller wants way more then its worth...but when your looking to sell a lower grade # 1 card...you want way more then its worth !

Ral G

bbcard1
08-06-2012, 07:04 PM
I honestly don't believe #1 cards are more scarce in ANY condition that any other card...just an excuse. Those of us who kept our cards in rubber bands kept the best player on top, of course.

ls7plus
08-06-2012, 09:47 PM
A lower grade #1 card shouldn't command a premium, since the only thing it has going for it is it's condition sensitive. Nevertheless, some VG #1 cards still sell for a small premium. The 1933 Goudey Benny Bengough is an example of a card that usually sells for a little more than it should in pretty much any condition.

I've always thought the Bengough was greatly overpriced whenever it was offered in off-grade, but otherwise completely agree with Barry.

Regards to all,

Larry

drc
08-06-2012, 10:25 PM
Higher value in high grade. Beyond that, being #1 brings some notoriety so there is at least a little premium even in lower grade. People sometimes mock the higher prices for a low grade 1933 #1 Benny Bengough, but it's one of the better known cards in the set. It's not a common in any grade.

frankbmd
08-07-2012, 05:19 AM
Paid too much for the card (G), but did get the autograph for free as a Phillies coach in 1957 after a talk he gave about his playing career with the "Babe".

CMIZ5290
08-07-2012, 07:15 AM
One of the biggest examples of this has got to be in the 52 topps series with andy pafko. I think a recent psa 8 of that card brought $75k! Try to explain that one.....

novakjr
08-07-2012, 09:32 AM
The Bengough and Pafko are probably the two most interesting cases of the #1 price spike. Theoretically, there should be a drop-off back to typical common levels at a certain point, but in the cases of these two cards there really isn't.. I think for 2 reasons. 1)some people collect #1s. That alone makes the demand for the card higher than the typical common, resulting in higher values(It's kinda like the Dodger/Yankee premium) Basically, the card falls into another collecting niche outside of just the set alone...2)The high grade copies of these cards go for such a high price, that it almost has a cult-like effect on the value of all-grade cards...Most of us know that these are $5000+ cards in high grade, and it makes us want one, in any condition, just to say we have one..

The Pafko also has two other factors affecting it's price...1)the Dodger premium as previously mentioned. 2)That "Cop Out" movie..The card is pretty much the entire plot of a movie. It's kind of a similar effect that "Cinderella Man" had on Jimmy Braddock cards(although a less extreme example), or "Field of Dreams" has for Moonlight Graham items...Or "8 men out" had on the value of "Black Sox" items. Again, less extreme examples, because "cop out" was kind of a flop, although it carries a cult-following amongst Kevin Smith fans...

The true value of a card lies in how many collections it could fit into.
1)Pafko. '52 Topps collectors, #1 collectors, Dodger collectors, chase(key) card collectors, casual people who saw the card in the movie and wanted one..
2)Bengough. '33 Goudey collector, #1 collectors, chase(key) card collectors..

tbob
08-07-2012, 01:30 PM
I get the premium prices for Bengough and Pafko in extmt or better. I think the VG-EX and lower grade prices for each are just incredibly whacko. The 62 Maris also has a premium price but that is a horribly condition-sensitive set and the guy just broke the Babe's record, still there isn't the crazy premium for VGEX and below on Maris (yet) that you see on Bengough and Pafko. Bengough and Pafko share some mythical status, kind of like the Lowdermilk which has been proven to be more common than other scarce back cards like Kuhn in the unnumbered T207 set...

Paul S
08-07-2012, 02:19 PM
One of the biggest examples of this has got to be in the 52 topps series with andy pafko. I think a recent psa 8 of that card brought $75k! Try to explain that one.....

+ 1

RGold
08-07-2012, 03:17 PM
The Bengough card has a great image and is almost impossible to find well centered. The rubber band theory is just plain goofy. :rolleyes: Too bad the #1 card for the set wasn't Jimmie Foxx using this pose.

The Diamond Stars #1 Lefty Grove is another example.

I was happy to find my Bengough.

http://photos.imageevent.com/rgold/rgoldscollection1933goudey/33gbengough86.jpg