PDA

View Full Version : Base "Ball" Authentication

BrandonG
08-06-2012, 04:56 PM
Hey guys, after about 50 requests for authentication, appraisals, grading, etc. through my website, I have decided to go ahead and launch the new Authentication service on my website History of the Base Ball. Just to clarify a few things, the service is only $25.00, I am not out to make a killing or start a new career, just to cover my time and materials, and thought it might help the book get moving to the next step a little faster, as well as help some collectors figure out what they've got in their collection. I also have access to an x-ray machine for use on lemon peel, belt, etc 19th century base balls, already shot one of mine, it's pretty neat. There are some great pics on the authentication page of my site.

Any feedback is welcomed, and please check out the new Authentication page on my website: http://www.historyofthebaseball.com/authentication

With the number of fakes and replica's popping up, and a friend of mine getting ripped off for $1650 (before asking my opinion!) I thought this might be a nice thing to add to the memorabilia world. I already have a lot of autograph authenticators asking for opinions so I thought why not.

I also feel this service will be good for collectors who know their stuff is real, but want an appraisal, grade, correct era, etc for their collection. I recently received a ball thought to be a 1928-1933 Heydler ball, but was actually a 1917 Tener, poor stamping but worth much more than he thought.

Hope you can check it out, and suggestions or feedback is much appreciated.

Brandon

Mr. Zipper
08-06-2012, 06:06 PM
Good luck for much success!

:)

BrandonG
08-06-2012, 06:52 PM
Good luck for much success!

:)

Thanks Steve!

GKreindler
08-06-2012, 07:00 PM
Bill Graham said about the Grateful Dead, "they're not the best at what they do, they're the ONLY ones who do what they do."

Congratulations on your new venture, Brandon. Much success!

Graig

Bocabirdman
08-06-2012, 07:21 PM
Bill Graham said about the Grateful Dead, "they're not the best at what they do, they're the ONLY ones who do what they do."
Congratulations on your new venture, Brandon. Much success!

Graig

And I can vouch for that 71 times....Good Luck Brandon...........

GKreindler
08-06-2012, 07:33 PM
(I'm jealous, Mike)

murphusa
08-06-2012, 07:48 PM
Good luck but if I may ask. Why are you using a loa that is almost a replica of Spencer's

Just wondering

BigJJ
08-06-2012, 08:04 PM
Awesome! I will use your service soon. Best, Jon

Shoeless Moe
08-06-2012, 08:06 PM
I think it's a great idea!!!!

Good luck!

I plan to check out the Site and details.

BrandonG
08-06-2012, 08:21 PM
Good luck but if I may ask. Why are you using a loa that is almost a replica of Spencer's

Just wondering

Good point there. That image was just a sample loa and not the final design, and now that I go look at a JSA loa, they do look pretty similar, but the info is different. There really isn't much wiggle room for loa designs, there's just a certain amount of info as well as a photo that needs to be on there to describe the ball that jsa also supplies. This is why I asked for feedback, I want to work out kinks. Thanks Jim.

thecatspajamas
08-06-2012, 08:26 PM

Personally, I think most LOA's look like Spence's (or vice versa). Combine a photo with a block of standard line-item info about the item, followed by a descriptive paragraph or two (boilerplate or otherwise), and a signature and company logo at the bottom, and there you go. Not much you can do to it otherwise that doesn't just make it look cheesy (graphics, fancy border, etc). They all start to look alike after a while.

The name at the bottom is what is important, and many on this board can attest to Brandon's expertise in this area. Heck, I'd be happy with an LOA scrawled on a napkin with a doodle of the ball in the corner as long as I know the info is good. And when it comes to vintage baseballs (sorry, base balls), Brandon knows his stuff.

Besides, the font of that "Letter of Authenticity" at the top is clearly intended to look like a PSA LOA ;)

BrandonG
08-06-2012, 08:37 PM
Personally, I think most LOA's look like Spence's (or vice versa). Combine a photo with a block of standard line-item info about the item, followed by a descriptive paragraph or two (boilerplate or otherwise), and a signature and company logo at the bottom, and there you go. Not much you can do to it otherwise that doesn't just make it look cheesy (graphics, fancy border, etc). They all start to look alike after a while.

The name at the bottom is what is important, and many on this board can attest to Brandon's expertise in this area. Heck, I'd be happy with an LOA scrawled on a napkin with a doodle of the ball in the corner as long as I know the info is good. And when it comes to vintage baseballs (sorry, base balls), Brandon knows his stuff.

Besides, the font of that "Letter of Authenticity" at the top is clearly intended to look like a PSA LOA ;)

lol, thanks Lance. :) (Touche' on the PSA)

witster
08-07-2012, 04:24 PM
Brandon, what an occasion for my first post!!!!!!! This looks like an awesome idea!!! Keep me up to date with your plans when you are able. Witster