PDA

View Full Version : What's the deal with Sheckard's uni?

drumback
08-03-2012, 09:05 PM
This is probably old news to T206 collectors, but I just recently noticed that the uniform on Jimmy Sheckard's T206 glove showing card is sometimes blue, and sometimes gray. All other Cubs' uniforms in T206 are, I believe, always gray. Why a blue uni for Sheckard? Why sometimes blue and sometimes gray? It seems to be about half and half. Do you suppose they mistook him for a White Sox player, then caught the mistake?

steve B
08-04-2012, 07:49 AM
There are a lot of things that affect color.

On the cards shown, the blue layer is there on all three, but is much stronger on the left card. The right card is blue, but a lighter shade mostly because the gray is printed lighter.

The inks used come in a few basic colors, and are mixed each day to get the proper color. The recepies used aren't always precise, and probably weren't at the time. Today we might see it shown as so many grams of the folowing added to this particular blue to make the desired color. At the time it would have been "take some of this blue and add about this much of yellow and this much red" So the color would vary day to day or from one press operator to another.

I'm also thinking the middle card and the right card have a different black layer, the sleeve on the right shows a finer line on the cuff than the middle card. There are loads of little differences like this throughout the set.

Steve B

On modern stuff