PDA

View Full Version : Hank Aaron Help

Deertick
08-03-2012, 03:58 PM
Looks 'vintage signed', but I can't find any old examples. The H is so straight up and down and without a flourish, and the A is closed compared to recent signings. Any opinions on this?

JimStinson
08-03-2012, 04:22 PM
There is so much controversy around Aaron's signature these days that I hate to join the fray. The best I can do is post an 8x10 that was signed by Aaron IN FRONT OF ME in the late 1980's Hope this helps

Deertick
08-03-2012, 04:57 PM
Gawd, he is all over the place! I wish I could find an early sig. I emailed to get info on the ball, should (possibly) give me an era.

JimStinson
08-03-2012, 05:12 PM
Also I mentioned this in a previous thread, I had a GPC signed by Aaron two weeks into his major league debut which he saw at a baseball card show and said "he never signed" it, which is bunk. Have attached IT and a early Aaron letter obviously written by the same person. Also later on as he gained popularity he used a ghost signer through the mail futher complicating the process. On the GPC and letter compare the "D" in Dear, The word "Sincerely" and the "H" in Hank

MooseDog
08-03-2012, 06:02 PM
Looks like a couple of Aarons that I have, one of which was bammed by PSA/DNA. I'll post a scan if I can find it.

As a teenager I made two attempts years apart to try and get Aaron's autograph TTM through Donald Davidson, long-time Braves front office guy and both came back very similar to yours.

jimjim
08-04-2012, 12:12 AM
Aaron was still using a ghost signer thru last year if you mailed something to the Braves. Sometimes you would get it back not signed and sometimes ghost signed. His personal secretary is still with the Braves and she has been working for him for decades. I bet she is the one who was ghost signing. I think somebody contacted her thru the Braves not too long ago to inquire about the Aaron items being ghost signed. She denied, but suddenly the ghost signed items stopped being sent back. The funny thing is the ghost signed items had a signature that was more his 1980's version, not his current shaky and sloppy version.

Deertick
08-04-2012, 11:43 AM
I am onsite and looking @ ball. No maker, but has stamp in an elipse that reads "Approved by comissioners office" Were there practice balls? Leaning toward clubhouse sig, but interested in what the ball may be.