PDA

View Full Version : What building is this where this game is taking place?! I am stumped.

BigJJ
08-02-2012, 01:18 PM
What building is this, where this game is taking place?! I have no other information other than the image. I am stumped. Someone must know that building. Is it a state capital building?

Deertick
08-02-2012, 06:26 PM
Massachusetts State Hospital for the Criminally Insane. Psychotics lost to the Manics 16- Oatmeal.

mr2686
08-02-2012, 08:16 PM
Massachusetts State Hospital for the Criminally Insane. Psychotics lost to the Manics 16- Oatmeal.

Oh that's just crazy talk :D

BigJJ
08-02-2012, 08:42 PM
Thats very funny. Thank you Sir ;)

Mark
08-02-2012, 09:57 PM
I'll guess the game is being played beside a large hotel/ resort somewhere in the rolling hills/mountains of the eastern United States.

jdmeltz
08-03-2012, 04:30 AM
I'll guess the game is being played beside a large hotel/ resort somewhere in the rolling hills/mountains of the eastern United States.

And along those lines, it does look like the Hotel Otesaga in Cooperstown!

Deertick
08-03-2012, 07:17 AM
I would also surmise that any bunt down the first base line would most certainly roll foul.

frankbmd
08-03-2012, 07:37 AM
And along those lines, it does look like the Hotel Otesaga in Cooperstown!

In business since 1909.

Architecture close ........ plausible,

but what's the link between Cooperstown and baseball.:D:D:D

novakjr
08-03-2012, 09:04 AM
From that picture, I'd have to question their choice of diamond configuration... Let's have the "large" open field be the 3rd base foul territory, while those trees are about 12 feet into right field.. My vote goes to the criminally insane...

aquarius31
08-03-2012, 12:35 PM
This is a beautiful oil painting but I'm shocked that someone shelled out nearly $10k for this unsigned piece. They either know something we don't know (or at least myself) or got into quite a bidding war with someone else who wanted this badly or both.

BigJJ
08-03-2012, 03:22 PM
Agreed.
Maybe the bidders reviewed in-person and figured out the teams. perhaps even players, though that would be less likely.
Anything shy of at least a team ID, and 10k is a very very strong price to pay for a relatively generic, unsigned, piece - even though such an early baseball painting is rare.
maybe a folk art dealer was bidding strongly, seems to qualify as folk art, given primitive construction, period, and lack of fancy authorship.
Will forever be curious as to what that building is, seems like a Washington DC location along a river, Eastern feel, flag, super-large white building.

novakjr
08-03-2012, 03:48 PM
Agreed.
Maybe the bidders reviewed in-person and figured out the teams. perhaps even players, though that would be less likely.
Anything shy of at least a team ID, and 10k is a very very strong price to pay for a relatively generic, unsigned, piece - even though such an early baseball painting is rare.
maybe a folk art dealer was bidding strongly, seems to qualify as folk art, given primitive construction, period, and lack of fancy authorship.
Will forever be curious as to what that building is, seems like a Washington DC location along a river, Eastern feel, flag, super-large white building.

When you mentioned DC, I immediately thought of the main building of St. Elizabeth's Hospital.. I can't say for sure whether or not the building was ever white though. Coincidentally, all joking aside, it was also a hospital for the mentally ill for a while.

BigJJ
08-03-2012, 03:52 PM
:)

aquarius31
08-03-2012, 04:06 PM
Agreed.

I would be very impressed if the bidders were able to identify anything about the teams by reviewing it in person although I'm guessing they would be able to confirm that it is an older piece of art (it looks old based on the frame, cracking throughout painting, lack of fluorescence under black light but not sure how they would be able to definitively date it to late 19th century). As for the location, there are many state buildings which start to look the same. I did inquire about the painting a few weeks back and it came from someone in Pennsylvania.

Did you guys see this similar painting (http://www.lelands.com/Auction/AuctionDetail/69542/Spring-2012-Catalog-Auction/Sports/Baseball-Memorabilia/Lot420~19th-Century-Boston-Baseball-Painting) which sold last month? The design is VERY similar and if this is not the same artist, it would appear that it's at least inspired by the same artist.

Regardless, it's a beautiful piece of art and I'm sure whoever won it will be very pleased!

BigJJ
08-03-2012, 05:13 PM
Thank you very much for showing that second example. Lelands I believe correctly describes as a fairly recent painting - why you always have to see a painting in person.
The frames on both works may be recent.
Same building, scene, etc.
I will send an email to the auction company, notifying them of this other work, and importantly that it was listed with a more recent creation date attribution.