PDA

View Full Version : How long did baseballs stay in play?

byrone
08-01-2012, 08:05 AM
Currently Major League baseballs are rarely used past just a few pitches.

As I understand, during the deadball era, baseballs were rarely taken out of the game unless hit out of play.

Any ideas on how long baseballs were kept in play after the deadball era and before modern times?

mcgwirecom
08-01-2012, 08:43 AM
Pre 1920 they would try and keep it in play the whole game. They would even get it back if it was fouled into the crowd. After Carl Mays hit and killed Ray Chapman in 1920 they decided they wanted a ball in play that could be seen so they would substitute a new one if the old one got too dirty. But previous to that the players would actually try and muddy it up with dirt and tobacco spit.

Wymers Auction
08-01-2012, 10:41 AM
This is a very interesting thread thanks for posting!!!

Shoeless Moe
08-01-2012, 11:28 AM
......back then was another time. For one, foul balls were not allowed to be kept by fans. They were to be thrown back into play. Some fans who tried to keep were arrested. This occurred up until about 1920-21. The ball was the property of the home team. The same balls would be used inning after inning, spit balls were legal, the ball would be tobacco stained, beaten up and darkened, the pitchers using every advantage.

This changed in 1920 with the beaning and death of Ray Chapman. After that new balls would be put into play when the ones became too dirty. And also shortly thereafter fans were allowed to keep foul and home run balls.

thecatspajamas
08-01-2012, 12:05 PM
Check out Zack Hample's book "The Baseball" which contains a nice timeline of the evolution of the production methods used for the balls, how they were used in game play, how many teams ordered, etc. LOTS of good info about the balls themselves, and a very interesting read (not to mention relatively inexpensive, especially if you pick up a used copy). Mine is currently housed in the bathroom, I mean, my other office, but there are plenty to be had on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Baseball-Scandals-Secrets-Stitches/dp/030747545X/ref=la_B001H6NHEM_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1343844207&sr=1-2

ruth-gehrig
08-01-2012, 06:57 PM
I always love a new baseball book to read. Thanks;)

byrone
08-01-2012, 08:24 PM
Check out Zack Hample's book "The Baseball" which contains a nice timeline of the evolution of the production methods used for the balls, how they were used in game play, how many teams ordered, etc. LOTS of good info about the balls themselves, and a very interesting read (not to mention relatively inexpensive, especially if you pick up a used copy). Mine is currently housed in the bathroom, I mean, my other office, but there are plenty to be had on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Baseball-Scandals-Secrets-Stitches/dp/030747545X/ref=la_B001H6NHEM_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1343844207&sr=1-2

Seems like something Cliff Clavin would enjoy.

Think I'll pick up a copy.