PDA

View Full Version : A question for you college memorabilia collectors...

GKreindler
07-30-2012, 04:39 PM
Hey all,

Hope this message finds y'all excited and ready for Baltimore - I know I am!

I just started a small painting of a Louis Sockalexis portrait today. The image dates from 1895, from his days with the College of the Holy Cross. So, while doing my research for the thing, I was having a lot of trouble trying to figure out what kind of colors I would be working with for his jersey. From what I've read, for as long as anyone can remember, the main color of the college was a royal purple. So, I imagine that I would find that kind of color in the jersey somewhere - most likely in the 'HC'.

What I was wondering is whether any of you have ever seen any jerseys, pennants or the like from the college - especially dating from the 19th century - that might be able to offer any assistance in that regard?

Here's a shot of the painting in its current early stages, which will hopefully give ya an idea of what I'm talking about:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b158/GKreindler/Sockalexis.jpg

So yeah, any information anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Graig

Hot Springs Bathers
07-31-2012, 02:35 PM
Graig- I am ashamed to say that I don't own any books on Crusader football among my 750 plus volume college football library. I do know that a good one was published in 2003 A FAREWELL TO GLORY: THE RISE AND FALL OF AN EPIC FOOTBALL RIVALRY: BOSTON COLLEGE VS HOLY CROSS by Wally Carew (probably not related to Rod.)

I saw that it had a nice photo section and is offered on ABE Books for $1.00. I would also suggest that you contact the current Holy Cross Sports Information Director- Charles Bare at cbare@holycross.edu or 508-793-2583.
He should be able to provide you with period photos and a unifrom color history.

Also, congratulations on the new U.S. Postal Service booklet, I have ordered a copy and hope to have it this week!