PDA

View Full Version : Baseball and Wine – Crossover Collecting

BradH
07-28-2012, 05:21 PM
Three of my favorite pastimes, varying in order depending on the day, are baseball, sports card collecting and wine.

A friend of mine works closely with a lot of wineries and one of his side projects is doing private-label charity wines for celebrities and athletes. He is also a huge baseball fan, so working with baseball players on their charity and foundation events has become the favorite part of his job. When a player does a private-label wine for their foundation, they will usually sign a couple cases of the wine for VIPs.

My friend has begun saving some of these for me and, while I never really intended to have items like this, my "collection" is now at six bottles, including the latest one that he gave me today, which was signed by Matt Holliday.

I have two bottles – Greg Maddux and Tom Glavine – displayed in my office, while the other three are tucked away at home. These wines are usually pretty good to drink, but the unfortunate part is that I don’t feel I can pop the cork when they’re signed so nicely!

Does anyone else have crossover collectibles to show that combines baseball with another hobby or passion?

Hot Springs Bathers
07-28-2012, 07:07 PM
A little off but there is a brewing company in Oklahoma issuing a Spahnie 353 beer with Warren's likeness on the label.

I have one at work on a shelf. I must add though that all of the companies brews are the worst I have ever tried!!!!!

travrosty
07-28-2012, 08:27 PM
tom seaver has a winery but he doesnt like to sign the bottles because he wants the wine to stand on its own merit.

Scott Garner
07-28-2012, 10:06 PM
I have a spent bottle of 2005 Tim Wakefield CaberKnuckle wine that was produced by Longball Vineyards. Wakefield used the proceeeds of CaberKnuckle to support his charity www.pitchinginforkids.org.

The wine itself wasn't noteworthy, but thankfully I didn't die from drinking it. ;)

The graphics on the label feature a closeup of Wake's face and and his classic knuckeball grip on a baseball. It was a gift from my former neighbors, who were huge Red Sox fans. Thanks Ian and Michelle!