PDA

View Full Version : Early? Baseball Questions

aelefson
07-28-2012, 04:16 PM
Hi-
I recently acquired the baseball pictured below and I was wondering if this is a 19th century baseball, or one from the 30s or 40s left in water for a really long time? The stitching (where intact) appears to be wider than modern baseballs and the circumference is about 10 inches in the unsquished area.
I had a ball I believed to be from the 1800s several years ago that I got for a great price, however I sold it (for a very good profit) when I needed the money. I have since been looking for a 19th century baseball at antique shops, flea markets, etc. I have been able to acquire several 19th century bats, and even a glove (at Brimfield a few weeks ago) but a ball has eluded me. This was found at an antique shop along with an acorn/mushroom knob youth bat for a good price so either way I do not mind, but I am really curious to see if I finally snagged a 19th century baseball. Sorry for the long post. I also included a picture of the bat below. I love antique shops and flea markets!
Thanks in advance,
Alan Elefson

drc
07-28-2012, 04:29 PM
I was going to say that last photo doesn't look much like a baseball.

william_9
07-29-2012, 04:35 PM
Ten inch circumference would be a softball. That would also explain the larger stitching. In general, a 19c baseball will have smaller stitching when compared to a modern ball.

aelefson
08-01-2012, 08:55 AM
Thanks William. I always thought a softball was much bigger. I did not realize they used 10 inch balls for softball.

Alan