PDA

View Full Version : Standard Catalog

matty39
07-27-2012, 01:19 PM
Does anyone know anything about the Standard Catalog? Have we seen the final edition? Has the hobby lost a place to add to checklists, make corrections, list new finds, etc.? Any thoughts.

FrankWakefield
07-27-2012, 02:52 PM
I think there will be future editions... that was my impression from an exchange of emails with a fellow there. Seems to me that they might tinker with separating the new stuff and the old stuff.

It's a great tool for collectors. We need it.

rdwyer
07-27-2012, 03:33 PM
There will be a new Standard Catalog of Vintage baseball cards in September. I called Krause.

Rich Klein
07-27-2012, 08:49 PM
someone to handle the new cards and catch up to speed on cataloguing and pricing, I feel that this will be the 1st year of truly diminishing returns for F&W.

The problem is, WE are very much a minority when it comes to purchasing this tome and in addition, as Bob L. pointed out in a different thread -- we are also down to one major book chain ordering (Barnes and Noble).

The reason I say that, is that in my days at Beckett, we realized there was much more interest in the newer cards then in the old cards. (Granted Krause's presentation of old cards was superior) but one year we missed about 200 cards from the 1993 Topps set. I would venture we received at least one call a day asking about that and finally we were able to print out and send everyone a complete listing of those cards.

Trust me, I think F&W will be fortunate to sell more than 1,500 copies this year in sell through. Frankly the vintage material does not change that often and new additions are not easy and thus the real way to make changes is with the new cards and the players. At this point, Mike Trout is far more interesting than Joe Sewell as an example.Let's face it, Trout's cards may be changing daily while Sewell's cards need a sundial to change prices.

and NO ONE wants to see cataloguing and profitability from that more than me, but guys unless the new stuff is added to the Standard Catalog, it aint happening.

Rich

DaClyde
07-29-2012, 08:44 AM
How is it that 10 years later, F+W still does not have a serious digital strategy? They've basically lost their sports card periodicals, they are in the process of losing their books, and they STILL don't have a website of consequence. And when I say digital, I don't mean just a PDF copy of a print book or magazine.

SportsCardForum is doing what it can to assemble a decent (free) online catalog with their Inventory Manager, but they are seriously lacking in the programming department, so it's not exactly the world's most user friendly system, but this is being done by hobbyists in their spare time. K+W is a business, with money and actual employees. Or has the SCD property just changed ownership so many times, the actual interest in the content has been lost and it's just being run by investor types like has happened with Beckett?

buymycards
07-29-2012, 09:38 AM
It would great to have an easy to search digital version of the Standard Catalog even if there is an annual fee to access it. Any chance that a group of collectors could get together and purchase the rights to the 1980 and earlier content and launch a digital version, complete with scans of the front and back of each type? Old Cardboard has a very limited version for pre-war cards, but I would like to see the entire catalog online.

I don't have any idea of how much it would cost to launch a first class website but someone might be able to make a few bucks from it.

Rick

mybestbretts
07-29-2012, 01:27 PM
I downloaded the Standard Catalog through Itunes a few months ago.
It is great, I have it on my Ipad. I would think that would make it
easier for them to update and go forward, maybe not in printed form.

DaClyde
07-29-2012, 02:34 PM
It would great to have an easy to search digital version of the Standard Catalog even if there is an annual fee to access it. Any chance that a group of collectors could get together and purchase the rights to the 1980 and earlier content and launch a digital version, complete with scans of the front and back of each type? Old Cardboard has a very limited version for pre-war cards, but I would like to see the entire catalog online.

I don't have any idea of how much it would cost to launch a first class website but someone might be able to make a few bucks from it.

Rick

You wouldn't even need any permission so long as you were just providing the checklists and scans, and weren't completely copying the Standard Catalog's formatting and set descriptions. A list of cards in a set is no more copyrightable than a list of phone numbers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feist_v._Rural). There are already a few sites that could eventually turn into just what you're talking about (zistle.com, baseballcardpedia.com, tradingcarddb.com, etc) they just need the concentrated vision and motivation to actually get there.

ethicsprof
07-29-2012, 05:14 PM
with frank w, i sure hope one comes 'round since I really do use mine frequently.
with Rich K, I do see why the economics is 'killing' it. I tend to replace mine only every 2 or 3 years.
best,
barry

travrosty
07-29-2012, 05:17 PM
they stopped making encyclopedias in printed form this year, at least some of the co's did, the future is putting it online and letting people download it.

markf31
07-30-2012, 04:54 AM

Rick

Once the site is setup and running the costs are pretty low, you'd be paying to register the domain name each year and a hosting cost which totaled could run you anywhere from $150 to $500/year

The real cost comes into the developement of the site and the creation/development of the database that contains all the card/set/issue information which can be quite an undertaking. I can't imagine the number of hours this would take and as a result would drive your developement costs up substatially if you chose to have it done by a 3rd party developer.