PDA

View Full Version : eBay buyer issue

HOF Auto Rookies
07-26-2012, 04:08 PM
I know this is not the right section, but I didn't know where to post it. I sold an autographed 2009 Bowman Chrome Mike Trout card. Here's the link http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120952276419&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123

Seller receives it stating this:

"Was looking forward to getting this card in the mail because it was supposed to be GEM MINT as you say. Well I got it in today and lets just say I am not too happy. Card is way off centered which because your picture is blurry you cant quite tell in your auction and it also have several other surface flaws. I will be sending it back for a full refund. ThanksMike"

Yeah the pic sucks as it was taken with my phone, but clearly you can see their is no major centering issues. Way off!? You kidding me? Top to bottom it's BARELY off. What can I do here, this is just ridiculous. I did not notice ANY surface issues.

I think he's just pissed because he significantly overpaid on this card.

What can I do here?

Mikehealer
07-26-2012, 04:15 PM
What can I do here?

Refund his money after you get the card back.

HOF Auto Rookies
07-26-2012, 04:19 PM
Refund his money after you get the card back.

I don't want a refund, because like I stated, he overpaid. I don't know if I can get that price again.

Matthew H
07-26-2012, 04:23 PM
Modern card collectors have a different standard of what a mint card should be. I'd never state a card was gem mint unless BGC already gave it that grade. I would just give him his money back and relist the card as "nice".

BTW he might have "overpaid" because he thought the card was gem mint.

glchen
07-26-2012, 04:25 PM
If you don't want to refund, tell him that there are no refunds as specifically noted in your ebay listing and that the card is centered and with the condition that you described in your listing. The buyer will then likely log an ebay Significantly Not As Described ebay case, and then you have to argue your case with ebay and hope that you win. I would give you a 20% chance to win. You have a better chance to win if you call ebay and argue your case with an ebay representative directly instead of via the web. No matter if you win or lose, the buyer will give you a negative feedback and 1's on all of your DSR's. Therefore, you need to determine if your chance of winning is worth it in this case.

HOF Auto Rookies
07-26-2012, 04:25 PM
Modern card collectors have a different standard of what a mint card should be. I'd never state a card was gem mint unless BGC already gave it that grade. I would just give him his money back and relist the card as "nice".

BTW he might have "overpaid" because he thought the card was gem mint.

I guess, or he overpaid off the hype of Trout. Great have to eat up these fees and shipping costs. Plus I said in the description, "I'm not a professional grader." It was just my opinion. There are no centering issues, I don't see how it's "way off", and cannot wait for him to show me surface flaws.

HOF Auto Rookies
07-26-2012, 04:28 PM
If you don't want to refund, tell him that there are no refunds as specifically noted in your ebay listing and that the card is centered and with the condition that you described in your listing. The buyer will then likely log an ebay Significantly Not As Described ebay case, and then you have to argue your case with ebay and hope that you win. I would give you a 20% chance to win. You have a better chance to win if you call ebay and argue your case with an ebay representative directly instead of via the web. No matter if you win or lose, the buyer will give you a negative feedback and 1's on all of your DSR's. Therefore, you need to determine if your chance of winning is worth it in this case.

True. and eBay doesn't work over the phone, they were no help in helping me with my stolen card. Unfortunately eBay always sides with the buyer, no matter what. This is just ridiculous, it's not up to his standards, so he feels obligated for a refund.

Matthew H
07-26-2012, 04:29 PM
If you want to stand by your gem mint assessment, tell him to send it to Beckett and you'll eat the fees if you're wrong. If I listed a card as gem mint I'd be worrying about returns from the start.

HOF Auto Rookies
07-26-2012, 04:30 PM
If you want to stand by your gem mint assessment, tell him to send it to Beckett and you'll eat the fees if you're wrong. If I listed a card as gem mint I'd be worrying about returns from the start.

It's a personal opinion, as I stated I'm no expert.

RUSH2112
07-26-2012, 04:41 PM
If your going to sell baseball cards and use the terms "Gem Mint" in the descriptions then perhaps you should consider buying a scanner and post quality pictures. And yes, he is pissed because he bought something and likely overpaid from a blurry pic.

HOF Auto Rookies
07-26-2012, 04:45 PM
If your going to sell baseball cards and use the terms "Gem Mint" in the descriptions then perhaps you should consider buying a scanner and post quality pictures. And yes, he is pissed because he bought something and likely overpaid from a blurry pic.

Well, not going to deal with him, his fault for buying off that pic before I could list a new one. But, am going to refund, whatever

RUSH2112
07-26-2012, 05:51 PM
Well, not going to deal with him, his fault for buying off that pic before I could list a new one. But, am going to refund, whatever

Well, that would be the right thing to do rather than having to live with it.

I been looking at cards for 25+ years and could never mention a card is
Gem - Mint because I simply can't tell the difference between a Gem - Mint and a Mint card. I am sure most professional graders can't tell the difference either although they like us to think, they know. Good luck in the future.

Buythatcard
07-27-2012, 06:35 AM
Welcome to the world of selling items on eBay. Doesn't matter what you say in a listing. Unless you state some sort of policy in your listing, if a buyer wants to return the card, you have to send him a refund.

Once you have the card back in your possession, before sending off your refund go to eBay's resolution site. Say that you want to cancel the item because the buyer is returning the item. Then send off an email to your buyer and tell him that once he responds to eBays request to cancel the transaction, you will send him a refund. Once he does that you will be notified by eBay. By doing this, you will get back the eBay fees for that transaction.

As far as refunding his S/H fees, that will be something you need to state in your listings before you list

Not worth hurting your feedback. Best just to refund his money. You might do better the second time around.

Good Luck.

chaddurbin
07-27-2012, 08:48 AM
a little more ornament in your language and some auction house will snap you up to write descriptions in their catalogs for sure.

HOF Auto Rookies
07-27-2012, 09:20 AM
a little more ornament in your language and some auction house will snap you up to write descriptions in their catalogs for sure.

Yeah I've been heavily recruited by coach's corner

egbeachley
07-27-2012, 11:12 AM

Agreed.

Plus a blurry pic from a smartphone could easily look even worse viewed from another smartphone. In this case he needs to go by the Gem Mint description, which it wasn't. Hence, "not as described".