PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever dealt with Burbanksportscards on eBay?

Howe’s Hunter
07-26-2012, 02:59 PM
or in real life, I guess. They are listing just a ton of t206s, but all listings have this line in them....

Some of the photos we use are STOCK PHOTOS! They are not the actual products. 90% of the time, unique jersey pieces shown in photos WILL NOT MATCH ACTUAL PRODUCT YOU WILL RECEIVE. If you want to know the specifics of a card, please send us an email.

As I'm more interested in the back of the cards, which they never show, I've sent two emails now, specifically asking about rubber stamps on the back. The first response was to visit their website, where most answers could be found. Again, all the same photos, none of the backs of the cards, and not even a product description. I emailed again, and was told if I wanted specific information, I would need to list each card I was interested in, what I wanted to know about each card individually and specifically, and someone would get back to me as time allowed. But they did offer a refund policy.

Wouldn't seem customer service is held in high regard there. Just wondered if anyone on the board had ever purchased from them, and what the experience was like.

Thanks.

cardinalcollector
07-26-2012, 03:10 PM
Ed, Burbank is the biggest card dealer in the world. Over 35 million cards. You may have to jump through a couple hoops to get the info you need, and they are not the cheapest around, but they ship very fast and have a good refund policy. I've dealt with them many times the last 10-12 years. Randy

BleedinBlue
07-26-2012, 03:17 PM
About 10 years ago I went into Burbank Sportscards, drawin by their large inventory. I never went back. In many respects they reminded me of 707Sportscards. They often have the card you want but you can be expected to pay for the priviledge of doing business with them. Customer service in the shop was far less than I had hoped for and prices were far more than I could find elsewhere. Back in the pre-internet days I'm sure they could get away with this level of service but I was discouraged enough to walk away with my money still firmly in my wallet.

I did break down and buy some hard-to-find (but far from rare) chase cards to finish out a few sets through the mail a few years ago. I knew going in that I would be paying 5x what I would pay if I could find them elsewhere but at that point I was willing to pay $2.50 for a 50 cent card just to finish up the set. To me that is the niche they fill in the hobby today and I wouldn't even consider buying anything else from them.

A few weeks ago Burbank Sportscards listed a large number of T206 cards. I think they were all graded by BGS or some other second tier grading company. At the time I was actively looking for a T206 Tinker Bat Off in a PSA 3-4/SGC 40-50 range. VCP and ebay history says this sould be a $150-200 card and there were several on ebay slightly above that target range. (I eventually bought a PSA 3 for $135). Burbank listed their copy with a buy-it-now price of $656, far above Levi's asking price of $400. I didn't expect anything different after having dealt with them in the past.

I never had to return the cards I bought so I can't speak to their return policy but I've moved away from the 50 cent card market and have no further use for Burbank Sportscards.

zljones
07-26-2012, 03:44 PM
I bought once off them once through Beckett and I bought a 1988 Topps Tiffany Roberto Alomar. They said it was NRMT-MT, the cost was about 12-13. I got it, it was mint with horrible OC, probably equal in value to a NRMT copy. I overpayed, but everything was my fault, it was when I first started collecting again. My main point is, is that I payed three times the amount of the value of that card. It was my mistake but yea they have overpriced items.

Seiklis
07-26-2012, 03:45 PM
They're great when I need a ton of Indians cards from the late 70s through present.

Not sure I'd use them for much else

CMIZ5290
07-26-2012, 05:26 PM
Delete. Wrong info

frankh8147
07-26-2012, 05:43 PM
I have had nothing but good experiences from Burbank but that's because I use them for what other members seem to use them for- finding 'that card', the one I have been searching for and just can't get my hands on. I'll say this about them too- recently, I bought a card off them for $110, unfortunately for me, they sold it out and forgot to remove it from their website however, they offered me $150 store credit to make up for it which I used to get something I like more (my 56' Mantle). So for me at least, no complaints about Burbank and next time I 'need' a card i can't find, ill be checking their website.

Matthew H
07-26-2012, 05:45 PM
I used to go to their old shop. I don't even know where the new one is. I liked the old shop. The owner was always kind of a jerk but some of the other employees were kind of cool. I'd give them a call. I'd avoid Internet contact. I haven't done business with them in years but I do remember being able to call them and ask questions over the phone.

Back in 2001 I got into the initial modern card craze and had a stack of commons from opening up packs searching for those chase cards.
I went into the shop one day because they buy commons. The owner wasn't there so the employee told me I could only get store credit. He actually broke out. A Beckett, checked out the going rate for commons, which Beckett overpriced for the new sets. Then he gave me 200$ in store credit. I couldn't believe it, I actually traded a box of modern commons for a 65 topps mantle. I'll never forget that day.

Give them a call Ed, if the person who answers is a jerk, it might be the owner... Just call back later

Griffins
07-26-2012, 05:54 PM
Been in the store a few times, that was enough. If you're looking for a scarce '67 topps variation or something like that it's worth it, since they won't know the difference, but for the most part it's not worth the time and aggravation.
Images on ebay are often stock images, so you don't know what you're getting.
In my experience there are other sellers that are much easier to deal with.

Wite3
07-26-2012, 06:02 PM
I have been to going to Burbank since it was Burbank coin. Rob's father started the coin shop in a small storefront in a great older part of Burbank (used to have camera shops, thrift stores, antiques stores all around it). It then expanded into the store next to it and eventually moved to a larger building in the early 90s. I loved the larger building and Rob was always great with customer service. He was one of the first to see the potential for the internet customer and was one of the first dealers online at the Beckett marketplace. Rob grew the business and a few years ago they moved into a warehouse in Burbank. Literally a warehouse. Largest amount of cards I have ever seen in one place. Racks that are two stories high and need a scissorlift to reach. The storefront part is essentially gone now. Rob still has been nice to me when I have gone and even gave me a tour of the place and let me have first crack at a large t205 collection he bought a few years ago. His return policy is great and they will get back to you if you give them specifics of the cards. They probably deal with hundreds, if not thousands of emails a week. Their prices are often high and their grading is usually accurate. I too made a purchase about 2 years ago and got a really OC card. I called and sent it back and they sent me the same card with much better centering. I have not been there in awhile as I generally have moved away from newer stuff and regular issues but every once in awhile I check their site just for prewar or oddball...BTW, the extremely nice t205 that is my avatar is from Rob and he gave me a great price.

Joshua

timber63401
07-26-2012, 06:49 PM
I would just love to hear the story of amassing 35 million cards.