PDA

View Full Version : A New Auction Site

jefferyepayne
07-25-2012, 09:22 PM
I just saw this announcement for a new auction site called Love of the Game Auctions.

http://www.auctionreport.com/consignment-information/love-of-the-game-sports-auction-house-launches-operations/

Given all of the recent consternation over Heritage Auction house bidding policies and the recent indictment of Mastro executives for fraud, it's great to see an auction pop up that clearly states they prohibit house bidding, employee bidding, and hidden reserves.

I think it would be a great service to the industry if Net54 posted and maintained a list of the auction houses that are willing to step up to this level of integrity and honesty. Is this something we can do, Leon?

jeff

drc
07-25-2012, 09:45 PM
Al C's a good and reputable guy. I believe his company produced REA's catalogs and he even owns a indie record label.

Leon
07-25-2012, 09:46 PM
We already have a list of auctions and auction houses though it needs to be updated. I doubt we will make very many rules about who and what gets put there. Please remember that, generally speaking, auctions and their announcements should go in the BST pages except for our advertisers. thanks

Edited to add, Al is a good guy and I wish him the best of luck. He and I have communicated and he might even advertise with Net54baseball.

philliesphan
07-25-2012, 09:46 PM
Thanks for posting, Jeff. I'm a huge fan of Al's, and am very much looking forward to his auction, particularly now that Brian Dwyer of Sterling has moved to REA, and moreso with Legendary's Doug Allen now facing some ... distractions.

Al's a great guy in the hobby and I plan on consigning to his first auction this Fall. Great opportunity for Al, and a solid step for the hobby.

E93
07-25-2012, 10:33 PM
Al is a great guy with a ton of integrity and a true collector's love of the hobby. I wish him the the best. His is an auction in which I would not think twice about putting an absentee bid.
JimB

sox1903wschamp
07-25-2012, 10:45 PM
I am looking forward to this. Should be fun.

Jaybird
07-25-2012, 10:50 PM
From For the Love of the Game press release:

We offer bidders:
* Trustworthy auctions with no hidden reserves
* No bidding against house or employee accounts
* No alteration of cards or undisclosed restoration of memorabilia
* No consignors bidding on their own material
* Fair bid increments
* Lower buyer’s premiums

I applaud an auction house that is willing to put fair practices out there from day one. Thanks for not hiding behind the small print.

MVSNYC
07-25-2012, 11:14 PM
Al is as solid as it gets. i wish him all the best in this new & exciting venture. i'll be consigning & bidding.

Publius
07-25-2012, 11:23 PM
Nice to see a trusted person in the hobby like Al pick up the baton and run with it. The hobby can use an honest AH right now. Congrats Al

glynparson
07-26-2012, 04:49 AM
If I had anything to sell I would definitely give Al a try.

bijoem
07-26-2012, 05:25 AM
good luck Al!

I am looking forward to participating in your auctions (either consigning or bidding).

three25hits
07-26-2012, 06:09 AM
A newsworthy event surely. Best of luck Al, I am sure you will do great. I look forward to bidding and consigning with an AH that says clearly what it is & isn't.

Jay Wolt
07-26-2012, 06:49 AM
Looking forwards to Al's first endeavor this fall. He is knowledgeable, friendly & honest
a rare trio w/ the cast of characters that run some of the auction houses.
Go get 'em Al, Best of luck.

jmk59
07-26-2012, 08:13 AM
Awesome development from an awesome guy. And honest as the day is long. I have not been that active in auctions the past few years and have never consigned anything anywhere, but I will def try to be part of LOTG.

J

Al C.risafulli
07-26-2012, 08:18 AM
Thanks, everyone, and thanks for letting this thread remain on the main board, Leon.

All the support this week has been incredible. I know that I'm getting into a very competitive, very difficult field that's filled with pros who have been doing this successfully for a long time. Still, I'm hoping that there's enough room left for me to carve out a niche. Hopefully my experience on the business side of the hobby will help me to do that.

I will be at the National from Wednesday through Saturday, roaming the floor, begging for consignments, and sharing a corner of my good friend Ryan Christoff's booth (#803). Feel free to visit, bring wheelbarrows filled with consignments, or just have a beer.

And of course you can visit us online for more info or to register to bid. If you've got any other questions, please feel free to ask.

And lastly, of COURSE I'll be advertising here on 54 - I've been a member here for years, and what better place to advertise?

Regards,
-Al

www.loveofthegameauctions.com

bcbgcbrcb
07-26-2012, 08:24 AM
Sounds good, best of luck, Al!

terjung
07-26-2012, 09:34 AM
Good luck with the new auction house, Al!

Jay Wolt
07-26-2012, 01:12 PM
I will be at the National from Wednesday through Saturday, roaming the floor, begging for consignments, and sharing a corner of my good friend Ryan Christoff's booth (#803). Feel free to visit, bring wheelbarrows filled with consignments, or just have a beer.

Regards,
-Al

www.loveofthegameauctions.com

Cool! Free beer at booth #803, now that's a proper way to run an auction house! :D

frankbmd
07-26-2012, 01:14 PM
I registered for the first auction without difficulty. I'm looking forward to it.

three25hits
07-27-2012, 03:16 PM
After reading through the site in detail, it seems this AH is publicly committed to operating in a fair, transparent manner. A breath of fresh air...

Peter_Spaeth
07-28-2012, 03:11 PM
Al, good luck with your new endeavor.

ethicsprof
07-28-2012, 07:46 PM
Al C is a person of the utmost integrity and has great expertise in the areas of advertising,
business, and vintage baseball. He will be very successful in this venture,
I feel certain.
I have dropped him a note indicating that I will help in any way he wishes.
I consider him to be one of my best friends in the hobby. A prince of a fellow.
all the best, ole buddy
Barry

Rob D.
07-29-2012, 06:50 PM
Good news for the hobby.

calvindog
07-29-2012, 06:52 PM
Al is a great guy (and no Al, that is not the kiss of death).

tyweb1
07-29-2012, 07:33 PM
Thanks for posting this. I just registered to bid.
Nathan Calcari

Bicem
07-29-2012, 09:16 PM
great looking website, I'll have to consign something.

HasselhoffsCheeseburger
07-30-2012, 11:17 AM
There aren't a lot of people in the hobby that I would trust to do the right thing if an opportunity of questionable ethics presented itself but Al is one of the few. It will be nice to be able set a high bid and walk away without worrying.