PDA

View Full Version : Any Opinions on this Beaumont T-206?

wolf441
07-25-2012, 05:20 PM
Hi all,

I recently won a t-206 six card auction (ebay #230826922871) and when I received the cards, I was surprised to find that the Ginger Beaumont had a Chicago Cubs logo on the jersey rather than the red Boston Nationals B (I can't believe that I didn't notice it when I was bidding!). The card has clearly been altered, as you can see a small white outline where the B was and a slight trace of red under the Cubs logo, which looks to have either been done with a sharpie or an ink well. I don't believe that the seller was deliberately trying to sell an altered card (there was no mention of the alternate jersey in the auction description and he has solid feedback, though only over a limited amount of time). My question to the forum members is whether I should ask for a full refund? I only needed 3 cards from the auction for my set and was planning on selling the other 3 (including the Beaumont) individually on ebay. I've included a scan, along with my regular Beaumont for comparison. Please let me know your thoughts. Another thing that interests me is whether this was a modern alteration, or something done perhaps by the original owner. Until I looked up Ginger Beaumont on Baseball-Reference.com, I didn't even realize that he played his final year (1910) for the Cubs. Perhaps a fan at the time decided that if the American Tobacco Company wasn't going to issue an updated card, that he would take matters into his own hand! Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Steve

steve B
07-25-2012, 06:40 PM
I'd think it was done at the time.

It's also fairly well done. I'd keep it, but I'm a bit odd. I like some of the old alterations like this one.

Steve B

wolf441
07-25-2012, 06:54 PM
Thanks Steve,

I appreciate the feedback (and sorry about the size of the scan!). It is pretty well done and the ink looks like it may have been from that era. It is a pretty neat display piece. I'm surprised that the person didn't change the team name at the bottom as well. Like I said, from the auction description, I don't think that the seller was trying to pull a fast one. It seems like he may not have noticed the change either. I'm going to email him and ask if he can provide any details as to where he got it. Again, thanks for the feedback!

Steve