PDA

View Full Version : Collecting a set that has a "find"

scooter729
07-24-2012, 05:59 PM
So with this new Red Hindu find, the recent E98 find and others, it got me wondering....

If you're a set collector of a hard-to-find set (let's assume you're more than halfway to a set), and then a big find occurs, are you more thrilled about the fact that a large number of new cards have been found, or bummed that the prices on what you already own may have just dropped precipitously?

Matt
07-24-2012, 06:10 PM
Bummed and not for the reason you'd think (financial implications). Part of the reason you are collecting that set in the first place is because it is rare and your sense of accomplishment is that it's taken you years to put together the examples you have. It becomes much less special if someone else can now put the same collection together in 3 weeks.

familytoad
07-25-2012, 06:44 PM
Well, this isn't a "set" answer because I'm not necessarily collecting the set...but I bought a great E98 Honus Wagner graded 10 about a month before the Black Swamp Find.

Now mine is purple and SGC graded 10 tends to fetch a smaller price than a PSA 10, but you get my point.

I know a lot of non-collectors also saw the Black Swamp story in the news media and a few friends asked me what I thought about it.

I'm not sure if the find is making my card be more or less valuable (and I don't care) but my friends actually thought it was cool to see that I also had a E98 Wagner.
Okay, most of them still just wanted to know how much it was worth and why I wasn't selling it:rolleyes: but it was better than the usual reaction I get when I say I collect baseball cards....

Bosox Blair
07-25-2012, 08:45 PM
Now mine is purple ....

Purple E98?

familytoad
07-26-2012, 09:09 PM
Umm..mine is light blue ( the new purple) :o
Still a 10 though :p