PDA

View Full Version : Which Find/Collection Would You Like to Have?

glchen
07-24-2012, 05:14 PM
SCP recently posted its latest "Southern Fairway Find" which includes "over one thousand 1909-1911 baseball tobacco cards including an unprecedented discovery of 42 rare Red Hindu back T206s and 2 newly discovered examples of the legendary T210 Old Mill Joe Jackson card." With the other recent finds and large collections that have been sold (or are currently selling) at auction these days, which one would you most like to have if you could?

atx840
07-24-2012, 05:49 PM
42 RH....that's quite a find, have a link?

ullmandds
07-24-2012, 05:51 PM
Wow... 42 red Hindus!? That will shift the playing field a little!

Matthew H
07-24-2012, 05:52 PM
Dreier Collection, no question...

Btw, wow!!!! 2 t210 Jacksons! I'd love to find something like that.

ruth-gehrig
07-24-2012, 06:04 PM
I also received news of the find through email from SCP. I couldn't find any info on their website however. Even internet searching "the southern fairway find" didn't yield anything. Here's the email copied

"The Southern Fairway Find"

SCP Auctions is pleased to introduce “The Southern Fairway Find” of over one thousand 1909-1911 baseball tobacco cards including an unprecedented discovery of 42 rare Red Hindu back T206s and 2 newly discovered examples of the legendary T210 Old Mill Joe Jackson card.

Nothing gets a vintage card collector’s heart beating faster than the promise of the next great “find”. Hope springs eternal that there still exist dark attic corners, abandoned cigar boxes, and locked steamer trunks holding untapped caches of cardboard treasure. This latest bit of fantasy-turned reality hails from a Southeastern estate. Compiled by its original owner in the years the cards were issued, this collection has descended three generations before being cast into the hobby spotlight here for the first time.

“The Southern Fairway Find” includes over 1000 cards from a variety of issues produced within the 1909-11 time period. The majority of the collection is comprised of cards from the venerable T206 and T205 issues inclusive of hundreds of Hall of Famers. Yielded from within the T206 group are 42 Red Hindu back examples, 13 of which are Hall of Famers including 2 astonishing Ty Cobb Red Portraits. An additional 16 Brown Hindu backs are present. Red Hindu backs are among the most difficult to find of all T206 advertising backs. Prior to “The Southern Fairway Find” the total checklist of confirmed T206 Red Hindu back examples was estimated at just 46 different subjects. Acquiring common Red Hindu examples has proven daunting to collectors, while Hall of Famer offerings are nearly unheard of.

The collection includes an additional contingent of 158 cards from the 1910 T210 Old Mill issue, including many from the scarce 8th Series. Astonishingly, this fresh crop has produced not one, but TWO heretofore-unseen examples of the legendary T210 Old Mill Joe Jackson card. Produced nine years before the “Black Sox Scandal” that would eventually banish him from the game “Shoeless” Joe Jackson’s card from this series of Southern League baseball cards accounts for one of the most coveted rarities in the field of card collecting. Only a handful has survived the last century.

SCP Auctions will feature cards from “The Southern Fairway Find” in two parts over the course of our Fall, 2012 Premier and November, 2012 Monthly Auctions.

Visit SCP Auctions at the 2012 National Sports Collectors Convention in Baltimore, Md. (booths 509P, 513P, 608P, 612P) to view highlights from “The Southern Fairway Find”

fkm_bky
07-24-2012, 06:11 PM
drool........:eek:

I also received news of the find through email from SCP. I couldn't find any info on their website however. Even internet searching "the southern fairway find" didn't yield anything. Here's the email copied

"The Southern Fairway Find"

SCP Auctions is pleased to introduce “The Southern Fairway Find” of over one thousand 1909-1911 baseball tobacco cards including an unprecedented discovery of 42 rare Red Hindu back T206s and 2 newly discovered examples of the legendary T210 Old Mill Joe Jackson card.

Nothing gets a vintage card collector’s heart beating faster than the promise of the next great “find”. Hope springs eternal that there still exist dark attic corners, abandoned cigar boxes, and locked steamer trunks holding untapped caches of cardboard treasure. This latest bit of fantasy-turned reality hails from a Southeastern estate. Compiled by its original owner in the years the cards were issued, this collection has descended three generations before being cast into the hobby spotlight here for the first time.

“The Southern Fairway Find” includes over 1000 cards from a variety of issues produced within the 1909-11 time period. The majority of the collection is comprised of cards from the venerable T206 and T205 issues inclusive of hundreds of Hall of Famers. Yielded from within the T206 group are 42 Red Hindu back examples, 13 of which are Hall of Famers including 2 astonishing Ty Cobb Red Portraits. An additional 16 Brown Hindu backs are present. Red Hindu backs are among the most difficult to find of all T206 advertising backs. Prior to “The Southern Fairway Find” the total checklist of confirmed T206 Red Hindu back examples was estimated at just 46 different subjects. Acquiring common Red Hindu examples has proven daunting to collectors, while Hall of Famer offerings are nearly unheard of.

The collection includes an additional contingent of 158 cards from the 1910 T210 Old Mill issue, including many from the scarce 8th Series. Astonishingly, this fresh crop has produced not one, but TWO heretofore-unseen examples of the legendary T210 Old Mill Joe Jackson card. Produced nine years before the “Black Sox Scandal” that would eventually banish him from the game “Shoeless” Joe Jackson’s card from this series of Southern League baseball cards accounts for one of the most coveted rarities in the field of card collecting. Only a handful has survived the last century.

SCP Auctions will feature cards from “The Southern Fairway Find” in two parts over the course of our Fall, 2012 Premier and November, 2012 Monthly Auctions.

Visit SCP Auctions at the 2012 National Sports Collectors Convention in Baltimore, Md. (booths 509P, 513P, 608P, 612P) to view highlights from “The Southern Fairway Find”

Jason
07-24-2012, 06:23 PM
Two T210 JJ's? What a tremendous find.

atx840
07-24-2012, 06:43 PM
More Cobbs...oh my what a year it's been for vintage.

e107collector
07-24-2012, 06:46 PM
It has been a great year so far for large collections/huge finds. I agreee, 2 T210 Jacksons is a great find. They both are in nice shape.

In regards to the original post, I would have to pick the Chris Sullivan E107 collection. It's a no brainer for me.

Tony

philliesphan
07-24-2012, 07:08 PM
In regards to the original post, I would have to pick the Chris Sullivan E107 collection. It's a no brainer for me.

From a card perspective, I'd pick the Dreier run of cards every day and twice on Sunday. So many amazing cards have already come out of the collection, and Legendary will have quite a few more runs over 2012-2013 with the balance. Simply amazing, comprehensive and phenomenal run of cards. E107 would be my second choice, but I'd choose the Dreier run for its sheer breadth and completeness. Also a big fan that much of it was a nice collector grade. Not many beaters, and not many razor sharp cards.

Jay Wolt
07-24-2012, 07:21 PM
I too would chose the Dreier collection. Saw it first hand at their museum a few years ago and it was massive.
The t206 Wagner was pretty cool too!

E93
07-24-2012, 07:28 PM
I saw the Dreier collection at their museum a couple of times and there is no question; it was one of the greatest collections ever assembled. I don't even know where to begin. Legendary began selling if off several auctions before the initial announcement. They will continue to sell it for a couple of years. Just in terms of cards, it dwarfs Copeland or Halper collections.
JimB

ethicsprof
07-24-2012, 07:46 PM
I can't stop looking at the catalogue.
I would love to have just one of those cards.
breath-taking.
best,
barry

MacDice
07-24-2012, 08:05 PM
Mr. Mints find of 1952 Topps was pretty impressive. Over 60 Mantles!

oldjudge
07-24-2012, 08:20 PM
The Dreier collection was better than all the other choices combined. Pity it was broken up.

atx840
07-24-2012, 08:23 PM
Save your breath....T206Resource's Red HINDU checklist has that phony red HINDU / red Cobb listed as confirmed.

Many of us dinosaurs know that this card was professionally altered by taking an authentic red HINDU back and RE-FRONTING it with a red Cobb image.

In my opinion....this red Cobb listing in their "infallible" checklists blows any integrity they had.
TED Z

Ted, thoughts?

oldjudge
07-24-2012, 08:27 PM
LOL. Damm, e=mc3, e=mc3, I was positive that would work!

Joe_G.
07-24-2012, 09:05 PM
I'm with Jay, Jim and others, without question, the Drier collection. First, Legendary teased us with some privately sold cards and sets including a complete run of 1888 Joseph Hall Cabinets (including some variations), 1914 Boston Garters, the most comprehensive assembly of 1898 Cameo Pepsin celluloid pins, and a beautiful T206 Wagner. The auctioned items are also numerous and notable and we have more yet to come. Drier collection without hesitation.

http://legendaryauctions.com/UserFiles/Image/DreierLegacy_IntroImageB.jpg

Leon
07-24-2012, 10:38 PM
I chose the Drier collection too. I have been fortunate to already add quite a few items to my collection from it. I hope to add some more too.

I want to add I always thought the Red Hindu Cobb was good....as I told someone in an email tonight...I had consummated a deal for it and the seller backed out and sent it to REA. That's the way the cookie crumbles, and even though I never handled it, I thought it was good from the scans I saw.

Bicem
07-24-2012, 11:49 PM
From a card perspective, I'd pick the Dreier run of cards every day and twice on Sunday. So many amazing cards have already come out of the collection, and Legendary will have quite a few more runs over 2012-2013 with the balance. Simply amazing, comprehensive and phenomenal run of cards. E107 would be my second choice, but I'd choose the Dreier run for its sheer breadth and completeness. Also a big fan that much of it was a nice collector grade. Not many beaters, and not many razor sharp cards.

+1

dstudeba
07-25-2012, 02:49 PM
Less than half of the Dreier collection would still beat any of those mentioned.

Doesn't mean the others aren't awesome in their own right.

docpatlv
07-25-2012, 03:34 PM
"Southern Gentleman's Passion" - Montgomery???

Always thought that was a great collection.

philliesphan
07-25-2012, 09:06 PM
Less than half of the Dreier collection would still beat any of those mentioned.

Doesn't mean the others aren't awesome in their own right.

if my original answer to the above [e.g. choosing the Dreier collection] would need to be amended given that I presume most of the collection is currently in the hands of Legendary, whose president was indicted today...!

glynparson
07-26-2012, 04:51 AM
The Dreir Collection. Not even close.

TUM301
07-26-2012, 12:23 PM
Tough choice, but for me it`s the E 107 collection. Been hooked on the set since getting my 1`st beater 6 years ago !