PDA

View Full Version : Question(s) on Brooklyn Excelsiors Uniforms

aquarius31
07-23-2012, 05:26 PM
Does anyone know the original uniform colors for the Brooklyn Excelsiors? A quick google search identifies them as having black baseball caps with white brims, dark pants, and a black 'E' but wanted to see if anyone else can confirm this. Also, if you have access to a high resolution scan of the below Creighton image, please PM me.

Several months ago, I acquired the Creighton woodcut except Creighton was missing from it! I plan to have a local restorer colorize the woodcut and possibly replace the empty center image with the high resolution image...I know this probably does nothing to help the value on the item but I'm hopeful that it will make it an interesting piece that can be framed. The other option is to replace the center image with an original woodcut but I can't stomach the idea of cutting up any original woodcuts and I think it makes sense to have some sort of continuity with a Creighton image.

HexsHeroes
07-23-2012, 06:14 PM
Does anyone know the original uniform colors for the Brooklyn Excelsiors? A quick google search identifies them as having black baseball caps with white brims, dark pants, and a black 'E' but wanted to see if anyone else can confirm this. Also, if you have access to a high resolution scan of the below Creighton image, please PM me.

Several months ago, I acquired the Creighton woodcut except Creighton was missing from it! I plan to have a local restorer colorize the woodcut and possibly replace the empty center image with the high resolution image...I know this probably does nothing to help the value on the item but I'm hopeful that it will make it an interesting piece that can be framed. The other option is to replace the center image with an original woodcut but I can't stomach the idea of cutting up any original woodcuts and I think it makes sense to have some sort of continuity with a Creighton image.

. . . why use that particular high resolution image ? I realize that examples of this particular woodcut are few and far between, but it would seem to make more sense to try and locate another example, and use a high resolution scan of the missing/damaged area (even if a small gratuity is necessary).

But, if this particular woodcut is quite rare, then please excuse my ignorance. I will be the first to admit that I know almost nothing about these beautiful historic images. Regardless, best of luck on your efforts.

aquarius31
07-23-2012, 06:59 PM
Thanks Vincent. I guess that replacing it with a high resolution image of the original 'shrouded' Creighton would be an obvious solution but for whatever reason it wasn't obvious to me :D My view is that the woodcut is damaged anyway and this is probably the only opportunity to have an even more unique piece by placing the other Creighton image in the shrouded area.