PDA

View Full Version : Introduction

thisisradioclash
07-21-2012, 10:54 PM
Hello everyone! My name is Nick, and I'm newly-approved to join the board. I'm a Naval officer stationed in Hawaii, which as you might imagine, is not exactly the best place to stumble across prewar cards (though I did see an Old Judge card of a boxer at a flea market once). I'm originally from DC and have moved around quite a bit as you all might imagine, being in the service.

I'm not nearly as accomplished a pre-war collector as probably everyone else on the board, but I love reading and learning on the boards. I've developed a shine to the T213 Type 2 set (the Coupon cigarettes "Made in New Orleans" set), and I'm thinking about unloading most of my post-'60s cards to work on that in the future. I particularly like the Walter Johnson from that set, as it reminds me of DC, my home, and New Orleans, where I met my girlfriend/partner!

Figured I would say hello to everyone so when I start posting, it's not completely out of left field. See you all on the boards!

mrvster
07-21-2012, 11:04 PM
We welcome you with open arms.......thanx for your service to our great country:D

Great choice to collect that issue....if u ever get a chance, check out t206 ;)

Peace

welcome again

Johnny V

carrigansghost
07-21-2012, 11:22 PM
Permission to come aboard shipmate,

Rawn

tjb1952tjb
07-22-2012, 01:17 AM
WELCOME!! You'll find a lot of great vintage card information here.....and a lot of great guys. :)

smotan_02
07-22-2012, 06:31 AM
Go Army! Beat Navy!
Welcome to the boards. You won't find a better group.

I was stationed in Hawaii from 2005-2009...unbelievable duty assignment. But sadly you're right, tough on the collection.

Jay Wolt
07-22-2012, 07:26 AM
Nick welcome aboard!
Hawaii is a great place to be stationed, my boy while a Marine was stationed there in between his stops in Afghanistan.
Thank You for your service.

FrankWakefield
07-22-2012, 07:38 AM
Welcome.

In Hawaii you can go to Oahu Cemetery and see Alexander Cartwright's monument.

Go Navy, beat army!

jbbama
07-22-2012, 08:19 AM
Greetings! There is a wealth of knowledge on this board, sit back and enjoy.

ethicsprof
07-22-2012, 11:10 AM
welcome aboard!!!
and thank you for your service.
all the best,
barry

joeadcock
07-22-2012, 11:21 AM
Agree with my friend Barry, welcome.

Just at church this morning. Closing prayer included that GOD BE WITH OUR MILITARY around the world. May God be with you.

Agree with your unloading of post war 60's(just my agreement). Go for the Coupouns, as cool looking set.

Like Barry and many others(including Leon), I am a type collector. Trying to get one or two of each set pre war. I gotta long way to go.

2dueces
07-22-2012, 11:27 AM
Welcome Nick. I've been waiting for someone from Hawaii to join the board. I am looking someone to go to a health food store on the island and pick up a supplement only made in Hawaii. PM will follow. You do have your PM's on right?

Welcome again, Joe

thisisradioclash
07-23-2012, 01:13 PM
Thanks everyone for the very warm welcome! Looking forward to learning a lot and having some fun on the boards. I think the T213 Type 2 will be lots of fun to tackle when I get started; the T206 would certainly be a challenge, too! The challenge of being stationed in HI is 1. space for the collection, and 2. transporting the collection when it's time to go!

I haven't been able to check out Alexander Cartwright's grave yet here in Honolulu, but it's on my to-do list :) Seems a bit macabre, but hey, it's Alexander Cartwright!

Again, thanks for the greetings, and I'll see you all out there :D