PDA

View Full Version : UV window films for autograph display cases

markf31
07-21-2012, 07:48 AM
I'm just starting down my autograph collecting journey and have obtained a nice selection already of autographed memorabilia. I am keenly aware of issues in regards to displaying my collection yet still protecting the collection from aging and fading as a result of UV light.

3M makes a window film product called Sun Control Window Films which blocks 99% of all UV rays, has anyone thought of or had experience using such products on their display cases? I'd rather not hide my collection away in a closet or safe and a product like this seems like a great way to help preserve a collection especially when my balls, bats, etc are already in Ultra Pro UV display cases which block 98% of UVB light.

Bugsy
07-21-2012, 08:42 AM
I just had this done a few months ago and love it. I had a company install them film instead of doing it myself. You can't even tell there is anything on the windows. You just have to wash them with soft cotton and water. Chemical cleaners can damage the film and paper towels could scratch them. Soapy water and cotton cloth...not too tough to follow those directions.

Bugsy
07-21-2012, 08:45 AM
I should also mention that the lights in the room can damage your collection too, not just sunlight from outside. Some libraries buy UV-blocking sheets to cover their fluorescent tubes.

jgmp123
07-21-2012, 08:47 AM
Do you guys happen to know where I can pick up some of the window films? Home Depot, Lowes, etc?

Bugsy
07-21-2012, 08:50 AM
Do you guys happen to know where I can pick up some of the window films? Home Depot, Lowes, etc?

You can get it (blocker, but not the 3M stuff) at Home Depot, etc, but that stuff honestly is crap compared to having it professionally installed. I think it cost me about $80 a window by having a company put in the good 3M blocker.

markf31
07-21-2012, 08:57 AM
You can get it (blocker, but not the 3M stuff) at Home Depot, etc, but that stuff honestly is crap compared to having it professionally installed. I think it cost me about $80 a window by having a company put in the good 3M blocker.

$80 a window is more than acceptable for me as a price point, to protect my collection I wouldn't think twice about spending that per pane.

I know fluorescent lighting can have a similar damaging effect, but does anyone have any idea of the effect incandescent alternatives such as LED or halogens might have? Since these bulb types are relatively new I'm curious if anyone has heard anything in regards to them.

mr2686
07-21-2012, 09:23 AM
LED lights do not give off UV rays. I use them in track lighting for my memorabilia room (with a dimmer switch) and they work great. I also have uv protection on all my ball cases and matted/framed displays to increase the protection.

drc
07-21-2012, 11:44 AM
The 99% is obtained from a scientific test, so I don't see an issue with the film protection wise.