PDA

View Full Version : '33 Goudey vs. '33 DeLong

HOF Auto Rookies
07-20-2012, 01:11 PM
I've noticed it seems as if DeLong's are significantly more valuable than their Goudey counterparts. I am unfamiliar with the DeLong set, but the Goudey set was one of the first mast produced main-stream sets. But were the DeLong's not printed as much, are they more scarce? Why such a difference in prices?

Thanks

brianp-beme
07-20-2012, 01:49 PM
I'm just throwing out a number here, but I would figure that Delongs are at least ten times less common than 1933 Goudeys. Factor in the fact that it is a very small set of cards, which appeals to many looking to complete a set, as well as an interesting design (I personally prefer Tattoo Orbits, but that is another story), and you have answer, along with perhaps some other factors that I am not thinking of at the moment.

Brian

glchen
07-20-2012, 02:03 PM
Delong's are significantly scarcer, but the card design is also very appealing, so it is a very popular set to collect. High demand and scarcity equals higher prices than 33 Goudey. The George Miller set is simliar to this.

glchen
07-20-2012, 02:13 PM
That was a great Delong Gehrig auto that you got. I think you probably got it from the same seller that I picked up my beater Ruth rookie from. The Delong is one of Gehrig's key cards and most popular. If I wanted to get a Gehrig auto on a card, I'd probably ideally want to get it on a Delong or 1934 Goudey #37.

olrac44
07-21-2012, 05:43 PM
I started my journey in 2005 and finished my Delong set in January 2012. My set is Ex-Mt+ and it was a long road. Many shows I went to and left empty handed with no cards, and many dealers looking at me like "Yeah right."

In 2004, I finished my 1957 Topps set in PSA 8 or better, and with 407 cards I wanted to work on a smaller set. The 33 Delong set is ideal because it is only 24 cards and 15 being HOF'ers it's hard to find a set (excluding the 1932 US Caramel set) with that percentage of Hall of Famers. If the set had Ruth in it, I think it would be much more popular.

I strongly suggest other collectors to think about starting the set as it is very manageable in size.

jrlebert
11-03-2012, 09:20 PM
Anybody out there with any PSA 1 or raw low grade Delongs? PM me if so!