PDA

View Full Version : KC Monarchs Game Used Gloves

ruth-gehrig
07-19-2012, 07:18 AM
I've got someone near KC trying to sell me 2 game used baseball gloves supposedly used by the KC Monarchs. FWIW I'm about 2 hours from Kansas City. What should I look for in determining if they are genuine. Story is seller's grandfather did equipment for Monarchs back in the day. Anyone know what brand they would have used? Any info would be greatly appreciated!! :D Thanks again, Michael

murphusa
07-19-2012, 08:41 AM
a fool and his money...

it is tough enough to verify a glove, unless you get from a player and you get a letter from the player your odds are not in your favor

mybestbretts
07-19-2012, 08:56 AM
Might call the Negro Baseball Museum since its in KC.

william_9
07-19-2012, 01:30 PM
If they're good gloves and they stand on their own, pay what they're worth without the back story. I'd be highly suspicious, to say the least. Chances are you'll never find any supporting evidence to justify spending what they would be worth as documented pieces. If the old man did work for the team, buy some other team issued piece instead. It's not like college hoops where everyone is wearing Nike or Reebok. Every player would select their own glove and there probably would be little, if any, overlap on brand or style from player to player.

BigJJ
07-19-2012, 01:44 PM
With regard to business transactions, if someone is telling you the truth, they should have no problem putting it in writing.

Make sure each glove is accompanied by a specific letter stating:
(i) how the item was acquired from the players with much specificity,
(ii) when and where, and
(iii) the original owners job/role at the time
(iv) present owners acquisition

Get pictures of the original owner with the players - ask for any and all pictures - and any and all other material proving affiliation with the team.

Tell him to spend an hour alone writing the letters - or alternatively, that you will take notes on what he says, type them up at a nearby hotel or kinkos and have him sign.

**And I agree with the above, pay no more than value of the gloves without the story. Especially as necessary research will likely extend many weeks/months.

Research is why year/s is/are so important to find out - can start your photo research with the years he mentions - and with the players he mentions. We might be able to help you do it, but need a little more of a lead in terms of years - and even better, players.

ruth-gehrig
07-19-2012, 04:11 PM
Attached pics are of one of the gloves and the attached photo is proclaimed as an original and passed down through the family as well. He also has an old Monarch program. I understand this still doesn't do anything to prove the gloves were used by Monarch players.

I've told the seller I'm interested in the 2 gloves if they can give more evidence for the gloves being from the Monarchs. This is their response.

"Just word from my father. And my grandfather, and his brother. Back during their time they were considered outcasts to be working for the team. Considering the era and the ignorance of the era I can only take their word as truth. Many stories of my Grandfather having to move because of his job circulated our family. He saw no color just loved the game. Treated the players as friends. Spoke no ill word against any of the players."

I have yet to see the gloves in person but will hopefully soon. I'm trying to tie the grandfather, through my own research, to the Monarchs...that's a start:D.

Jaybird
07-19-2012, 05:22 PM
I'd be more interested in the photo than the glove if it was real. The overprinting of 1924 Monarchs doesn't look period to me but maybe it's just a watermark that he put on it? The photo can either be determined to be real or not. The glove is always going to be a guess with tenuous ties.

And when it's "word" from all of those family members, is that in writing as in letters? Or is it just them telling him and him telling you?

BigJJ
07-19-2012, 05:49 PM
Agreed, a Type 1 of that photo would be tremendous. Would concentrate on the photo as much if not more than the gloves.

william_9
07-19-2012, 07:29 PM
That's a tunnel web glove from the 40s.