PDA

View Full Version : My Vintage Collection....any comments would be helpful

jt16
07-18-2012, 01:22 PM
Hello, I just started getting into vintage cards last year.

I really think these cards are great investments for the future and something to pass on to my kids. I really know nothing about vintage cards and I used ebay/google to find as much info as possible before I made my purchases. If you have any info or comments about these please feel free to post.

I really have no idea what this Babe Ruth card is worth with the marks, I rather have a nice card that wasn't creased or torn and I could only afford a PSA 1 at the time of purchase.

The Stan Musial was purchased using funds from the 2011 Prime Cuts Stan Musial 1/1 bat barrel I pulled and sold to a pitcher from the Diamondbacks. Part of that deal is batting practice passes and autographed ball.

http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee477/jt1616/Vintage%20Baseball/7a3ca39a.jpg

http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee477/jt1616/Vintage%20Baseball/f9142802.jpg

http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee477/jt1616/Vintage%20Baseball/83bacfbe.jpg

http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee477/jt1616/Vintage%20Baseball/eb0a7349.jpg

http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee477/jt1616/Vintage%20Baseball/9837e06b.jpg

http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee477/jt1616/Vintage%20Baseball/826fef7a.jpg

I am looking to get more vintage in the future....Thanks

iwantitiwinit
07-18-2012, 01:34 PM
I don't want to spoil things but I wouldn't think of your vintage cards as investments. Collect what makes you happy but low grade cards won't yield much in my opinion especially those with qualifiers. Higher grade are possibly a different story, remember there are only a certain number of people willing to pay up for things.

Leon
07-18-2012, 01:44 PM
I don't want to spoil things but I wouldn't think of your vintage cards as investments. Collect what makes you happy but low grade cards won't yield much in my opinion especially those with qualifiers. Higher grade are possibly a different story, remember there are only a certain number of people willing to pay up for things.

While investment could be a stretch for our hobby (though I am not against it as others are) the cards shown are all commodity type and high demand cards. Very nice choices for asset stability while collecting. Just my opinion and I don't mind saying I collect with the values in mind and hope my cards actually go up. That being said I have a ton of cards where I absolutely KNOW I overpaid because I wanted them, they are rarely encountered, and I knew going in I would probably not recoup my investment in them. On others I should be able to make up for the ones that my "collector bug" got me to buy. :) I am one of the collectors that has put more into cards than I really should have, relative to other resources I own, but haven't regretted it for one minute. I love the hobby and am not sure it would be as interesting without the values associated. Hope I won't get creamed for being honest. Just my point of view.

BleedinBlue
07-18-2012, 01:59 PM
Welcome to the hobby and to the best source of information that exists. Card collecting is an addictive habit as most of us here can attest to. The collective "value" of the cards owned by the members of this board is staggering and the types of cards you can see just by scrolling through the posts on this board truly show you the breadth of the hobby.

Spend a little time here however and you will find that very few of us are into the hobby for the investment aspect of it. The pricing trend for most commodity type cards in the last decade has driven most of the investment type collectors out of the hobby. That's not to say there isn't an opportunity to collect for profit but it is very important to purchase your cards at the right price and focus on the types of cards which can be readily re-sold. The cards you have shown are all easily sellable at the right price. Price being the key. It is important that you enjoy the hobby but if you are looking to profit from it you really need to make sure you know the market value of a card and what affects the price and sellability of a card.

Good luck and welcome. I hope you are able to get out of the hobby everything that you are looking for and help to create a new generation of collectors in the process.

Leon
07-18-2012, 02:03 PM
Welcome to the hobby and to the best source of information that exists. Card collecting is an addictive habit as most of us here can attest to. The collective "value" of the cards owned by the members of this board is staggering and the types of cards you can see just by scrolling through the posts on this board truly show you the breadth of the hobby.

Spend a little time here however and you will find that very few of us are into the hobby for the investment aspect of it. The pricing trend for most commodity type cards in the last decade has driven most of the investment type collectors out of the hobby. That's not to say there isn't an opportunity to collect for profit but it is very important to purchase your cards at the right price and focus on the types of cards which can be readily re-sold. The cards you have shown are all easily sellable at the right price. Price being the key. It is important that you enjoy the hobby but if you are looking to profit from it you really need to make sure you know the market value of a card and what affects the price and sellability of a card.

Good luck and welcome. I hope you are able to get out of the hobby everything that you are looking for and help to create a new generation of collectors in the process.

Great points. I should also mention that I love the collecting aspect of the hobby, I love baseball and the cards, and all that goes with it. My point was that you can enjoy what you collect (as I absolutely do) AND have an eye towards value and I don't think it should be considered taboo to think that way.

jt16
07-18-2012, 02:03 PM
I know collecting strictly to make a profit is frowned upon, that was not my plan of action here. I am from Philadelphia and went to a meet and greet with Pete Rose. I was blown away with his message and how he played the game. I am only 32 years old so I really don't remember Pete Rose in his playing days. Anyway, after the event I went home and decided to get a Pete Rose card, I started looking for modern cards/autos etc. I found nothing I like so I decided to get a rookie card....That started my vintage collection.

I do not plan on selling my cards, but one day I will not be here and these cards will be passed on to my children and I would like to see them make some money if they decide to sell them. Hopefully they will not need to sell them and will enjoy collecting cards like I do.

jt16
07-18-2012, 02:11 PM

I probably over paid for all of these cards because when I see something I want I buy it, to be honest I don't remember exactly what I paid for them.

I am a collector, I enjoy the cards and the history behind the cards. I am not looking to turn a profit BUT I like to think I make smart purchases. If I want to burn money in this hobby I will crack wax. I love rookie cards because they are the most sought after cards in the hobby. I also like the rookie cards because they hold their value and have potential.

SetBuilder
07-18-2012, 02:13 PM
I'm almost as fascinated with the market prices for cards as I am for the cards themselves.

smotan_02
07-18-2012, 02:18 PM
I would highly recommend you get a subscription to Vintage Card Prices. It's worth the $15 a month based on the money it can save you in overpaying for cards. Also, always remember that "another one will come along". The hobby is a marathon, not a sprint. It took me some time to understand that and I overpaid for some pieces that I could have waited and got a great deal.

jt16
07-18-2012, 02:19 PM
I would highly recommend you get a subscription to Vintage Card Prices. It's worth the $15 a month based on the money it can save you in overpaying for cards. Also, always remember that "another one will come along". The hobby is a marathon, not a sprint. It took me some time to understand that and I overpaid for some pieces that I could have waited and got a great deal.

Thanks for the info...I will look into that.

bcbgcbrcb
07-18-2012, 02:42 PM
Welcome to the vintage card collecting world. If it is Rookie Cards that you crave, this link may be very helpful in identifying which are the Rookie Cards for not only post-war HOF'ers but also pre-war HOF'ers players as well:

http://www.oldcardboard.com/ref/rookies/RookiesList.asp

Good luck with your collecting endeavors!

ThoseBackPages
07-18-2012, 06:15 PM
Welcome to the machine!

As others have said, find something you really like, and become an expert on it.

Enjoy the ride!

joeadcock
07-18-2012, 07:21 PM
I dont collect as an investment but know I can sell them later and most probably at least recoup what I paid for them.

I have seen more than once, someone has needed money in a hurry and has sold some cards to get the money. I have most noticed this with health issues where money was needed to cover medical bills.

From that stand point, it is a place to place your money.

However, for me, the fun is in having different pre war types.

ethicsprof
07-18-2012, 08:07 PM
I agree with Joeadcock---aka Frank.
I do love the type collecting and also am pleased that the will for the most part retain their value. My frames may well be another story. :)
and Welcome aboard!!!
all the best,
barry