PDA

View Full Version : Ty Cobb Museum

insidethewrapper
07-17-2012, 12:32 PM
Has anyone on here been to the Ty Cobb Museum in Royston, Georgia ? If so, your impressions, review, etc. Many cards or memororabilia displayed ?

frankbmd
07-17-2012, 12:43 PM
Been there. Will not be going back.

dealme
07-17-2012, 12:59 PM
I was there in August of 1998, which I believe is shortly after it had opened. I'm a huge Ty Cobb fan, and at the time, I had just finished reading Al Stump's book, Cobb. I happened to visit my uncle in SC, so I made the three hour trip. To me, it was worth stopping by. I don't know that it warrants a separate trip just to see it, but certainly worth stopping if you're in the area. I also stopped by the cemetary to see his grave, which I thought was neat as well. I think there was a a bit of memorabilia, but I don't recall a large collection of cards.

Mark

Davy_Kangaroo_Jones
07-17-2012, 06:34 PM
Never knew it existed. Love this place... Always learning something new!

Jay Wolt
07-17-2012, 07:40 PM
I stopped there a few years ago after visiting my boy at Ft Benning
Though I arrived 30 minutes after it closed, so had to look through the window.
Its in the complex of a hospital where Cobb had donated a huge sum of money.

insidethewrapper
07-18-2012, 10:12 AM
Haven't heard anything positive yet.

tonyo
07-18-2012, 10:26 AM
I visited about two years ago.

IMO it is nicely done with alot of memorabilia and displays. Seems like there is a card or two within the displays. They have a small gift shop that sells souvenier cards.

I had business in a neighboring town, went maybe an 45 mins out of my way, and spent about one to two hours in the museum. I wouldn't recommend making much more of an effort than that, but if you find yourself that close, it's worth dropping by!

almostdone
07-18-2012, 11:10 AM
I live only 30 minute from but have never been. I have spoken to a few who have been there but while nice and informative I havn't gotten the impression of greatness.
here are a few momentos that I have heard of but overall good to see if you are passing through but don't go way of of the way to see.
It's amazing how many people that grew up in my town (Toccoa, GA) never knew Ty Cobb was from so close. There was a signed ball found in an old farm house attic here about ten years ago. It gives me hope that something mught turn up in a yard sale or some other random place but so far nothing.
Oh well, one can always hope and dream.
Drew

tonyo
07-18-2012, 11:56 AM
It gives me hope that something mught turn up in a yard sale or some other random place but so far nothing.
Oh well, one can always hope and dream.
Drew

Drew, I know what you mean. I keep expecting to find a Cobb/Cobb back tucked in the pages of an old book here in Cobb County.

Tony

wolfdogg
07-19-2012, 05:52 PM
Been there....its OK.......visited his grave also......not too many miles from Shoeless Joes grave actually....maybe a 100 or so????...been there too

drc
07-20-2012, 12:43 AM
In the 1990s, my dad and I stopped by the George Gipp (The Gipper) memorial in his tiny remote hometown of Lauriam Michigan. When we got to the town, my dad asked a girl where was the memorial, and she had no idea who was George Gipp.

The memorial was just a plaque on a brick wall in a small park, but I got my photo op in front of it.