PDA

View Full Version : Heritage Auctions

Shoeless Moe
07-17-2012, 12:31 PM
(Sorry Jonathan, but this perplexes me and irritates me)

Heritage "sold" this program in Nov 2011 to the "high bidder" (which had to be Heritage) for $8365.

http://sports.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7041&lotNo=81228

You can buy it now from the "owner" on their Site for $10,456.

It's currently on Ebay being sold by Heritage:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120941283288?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Is this just a case of Heritage bidding the item up, nobody then outbid Heritage, so Heritage was "the winner" and is again trying to sell the item.

I find the buy it now from the owner on Heritage Site for $10,456 a little odd since nobody bid as much as $8000 for the item except them. No wonder theirs is the only auction house I can never win anything from. They outbid you, not other bidders. I see things I thought I lost to someone else being re-sold by them. I would have won a few of these items had it been just me against other bidders. Why they stack the deck against you is pretty irritating.

travrosty
07-17-2012, 12:50 PM
they use their n.p. gresham in house account to bid on items they think are worth getting at that price. they admit they are buyers and they will turn around and try to resell it at a profit. the difference between shilling/pushing the price up that way, which could lead to accidentally getting stuck with an item on ocassion, - and bidding with the intent to buy the item and win it outright because they want the item, is intent. since nobody can prove what their intent is when n.p gresham bids, their disclaimer that they reserve the right to bid on items, which is in the fine print, stands and it's legal but i don't like it. they should either be dealers or auctioneers, but not both in my book.

Heritage Sports
07-17-2012, 02:16 PM
This is an issue that has been discussed on the board previously, and Mr. Roste has it almost completely right. Every bid Heritage places is an intent to buy at wholesale level. We don’t expect to win much at this level since the vast majority of our offerings sell at retail, but we offer the same price we would at a dealer’s booth at the National, for instance. These “house bids” are placed exactly seven days prior to the closing of the auction.

In these two regards, our “house bidding” policy is distinctly different from shill bidding. A shill bidder has no interest in owning a piece at his high bid. We do have an interest. And, most typically, shill bidding is used to “run up” another bidder’s absentee bid. Our “house bids” are placed a week prior to closing, long before the vast majority of competitive bidding takes place.

I hope this makes the distinction clear, but I certainly invite anybody who wishes to discuss it further to email me directly, or to call me at the office. My contact information is below.

barrysloate
07-17-2012, 02:47 PM
This should be an interesting thread.

Bicem
07-17-2012, 02:53 PM
Sketch. Any chance of not doing this?

RUSH2112
07-17-2012, 02:55 PM
[QUOTE=Heritage Sports;1015232]

In these two regards, our “house bidding” policy is distinctly different from shill bidding. A shill bidder has no interest in owning a piece at his high bid. We do have an interest. And, most typically, shill bidding is used to “run up” another bidder’s absentee bid. Our “house bids” are placed a week prior to closing, long before the vast majority of competitive bidding takes place.

QUOTE]

You can use terms "house bids" but there is no difference between a "house bid" and "shill" bidding. I been attending auctions since I was a teenager and I have seen just about everything at auctions. While bidding by the owner of an item, who shows up at the sale, is considered shill bidding, it is accepted and happens very often. When the auction house places bids, it's again, "shill" bidding.

I have seen an auctioneers bid on an items but only because they could not get a decent starting bid and only seen this a couple times in my life. I have also seen auctioneers bidding against their own staff and everbody knew what was going on. No customers were getting bid up.

So you can call it what you will, but personally, if I knew an auction house was placing bids on items that were on consignment, without disclosure to the other bidders, I would never set foot in that auction house again.

Jay Wolt
07-17-2012, 02:57 PM
Although legal I'm sure, it doesn't seem all that ethical.
Unless I'm missing something.

keithsky
07-17-2012, 03:11 PM
I think it's still shill bidding in my little mind. Heritage says they bid a week before. What difference does it make if you bid a week before or that day the auction ends they are still jacking the price up starting the bidding off early. It's making people bid higher on an item more than it should be. That is what gets me with ebay. You see an auction start at 6 days and people bidding right out of the box. Never could understand the reasoning with that unless someone won't be by there computor for the next 6 days but not likely considering all the people that bid early. All that is doing is rasing the price up.

Jaybird
07-17-2012, 03:12 PM
It's lame. Anyway you slice it, it is bidding against the lifeblood of an auction house (its bidders). You may be making the consignor happy by inflating the prices but you sure aren't making any friends with the bidders.

And I, as a consignor, wouldn't want to do business with an auction house that was alienating bidders. The fact that it is in the rules doesn't matter. It isn't right.

Bugsy
07-17-2012, 04:10 PM
I also think any seller, be it a large house or a small-timer on eBay, placing a bid on their own listing is shill bid. You want to have a price floor on an item? Put a reserve on it before the auction even begins...

...but this conversation is re-creating the wheel, no?

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=147699&highlight=shill+bidding

Jlighter
07-17-2012, 04:12 PM
I don't think it is that big of a deal. They are bidding with the intent to own. This means they think the price is too low. Its not like their shill bidding thousands of dollars on a Mordedcai Brown which will never be sold for a profit at that level. I do believe that it should be disclosed on a auction lot if Heritage is bidding, it very well may be, I'm not that familiar with Heritage.

E93
07-17-2012, 05:02 PM
Despite the clarity and ease of Heritage's website (extreme sarcasm) I could not find their auction rules. However if I remember correctly they allow house bidding without restrictions. They also allow employees to bid with insider knowledge of other bids and bidders. The representative on this thread may claim that they only place house bids seven days in advance of closing - a problematic policy at that - but there is nothing in their own rules to limit house bidding to that in any way. Personally I do not feel comfortable bidding in this sort of situation. If I have misrepresented due to my faulty memory, please clarify where I am wrong.
JimB

HRBAKER
07-17-2012, 05:33 PM
They tell you what they do and to Jim's point they don't seem to limit themselves in the fine print unless he missed it. They make no secret about it, if you don't like it don't bid with them. I don't like it and I don't bid with them.

OTWCards
07-17-2012, 06:08 PM
Perhaps next time I bid against a "house" bid, they'll put me on an even playing field by waiving the 20% advantage the "house" has by not having to pay the BP...

sflayank
07-17-2012, 06:19 PM
they do the same thing with coins in the last 18 months theyve sold the same coin 5 times including giving it on consignment to a dealer who then tried to sell it to my outright...if its not illegal it should be

E93
07-17-2012, 07:21 PM
It creates a false market with false prices realized. In the case of the program above, if Heritage is in fact "the owner", it is misleading in that respect as well.
JimB

E93
07-17-2012, 07:29 PM
Someone was kind enough to send me a link to their rules. Here is rule #21. It does not seem fair to me. So I guess it is not just the auction house and its employees that can bid and modify bids with insider information, but anybody that they deem an "affiliate".
JimB

"21. The Auctioneer, its affiliates, or their employees consign items to be sold in the Auction, and may
bid on those lots or any other lots. Auctioneer or affiliates expressly reserve the right to modify
any such bids at any time prior to the hammer based upon data made known to the Auctioneer
or its affiliates. The Auctioneer may extend advances, guarantees, or loans to certain consignors."

HRBAKER
07-17-2012, 07:46 PM
So the question becomes if you don't like it, do you still patronize them? It's not like they aren't telling you they reserve the right to do these things. Again, not defending the practice but complaining about it and continuing to bid with them doesn't seem to accomplish much.

travrosty
07-17-2012, 07:55 PM
I don't think it is that big of a deal. They are bidding with the intent to own. This means they think the price is too low. Its not like their shill bidding thousands of dollars on a Mordedcai Brown which will never be sold for a profit at that level. I do believe that it should be disclosed on a auction lot if Heritage is bidding, it very well may be, I'm not that familiar with Heritage.

The fine print says they reserve the right to bid, it does not say they must bid only 7 days before the auction ends, that is their own self imposed rule that they can disregard at any time without breaking their disclosure in the fine print that 99 percent of the bidders haven't read. It should be in bold print on each auction listing./

And Jonathon, if it is Heritage's policy to limit themselves to 7 days before the auction ends, why isn't that in the disclosure?e

If a babe ruth bat is expected to sell for a million dollars and heritage's wholesale limit is 650,000, and they know for certain , 100% that the end bid will be above that price, do they still place the 650,000 dollar bid 7 days before auction ends if the price has not hit that level yet? Remember, they know the big boys who are interested in this piece, they probably sent out golden engraved invitations to them.

do they put in the 650,000 bid anyway, granted they want to buy it at that price, but they know for a fact it will go higher. The secondary effect of placing the bid they know the can't win is to bump up the price sooner in the auction. They can always say they wanted to buy it at 650,000, but since the knew they couldn't ever win it at that price, do they place the bid anyway? Is it ethical for an auction house to place that bid they know they can't win on a hot item they know will go through the roof?

That's the slippery slope of auction houses who want to be dealers as well. Why not just be an auction house? How do customers benefit by competing against the auction house itself for items? The auction house has all the inside informtion, the customers don't.

Publius
07-17-2012, 10:40 PM
I closed my Heritage Account over a year ago because of shifty rules like this, poor customer service and a horrendous website. I would never consign to Heritage, or obviously bid on anything they have for sale. I'm a drop in the bucket, but drops eventually add up to a waterfall.

Joe Squires

Jaybird
07-17-2012, 10:56 PM
Double post /////

Jaybird
07-17-2012, 10:57 PM
Perhaps this thread is worth moving to the Main Page?

I agree that everyone should go in knowing that this business is shady and only be surprised when they aren't.

However, the only way a company changes the way they do business is for their customers to speak up and demand the change both in words but also in action. I've stopped biding with Heritage as I did when the information about H&S came out in a previous thread. H&S changed their policy. Will Heritage follow suit or blatantly ignore concerns in favor of short term gains?

travrosty
07-18-2012, 12:16 AM
we spoke up and demanded they stop listing their autographs with a jsa auction loa before the items were actually seen by jsa, and it took several people several attempts before they changed it and people got their accounts banned from heritage as a result of demanding this change.

so speaking up has its punishment.

I consigned 1 item to heritage, and it got an internet bid several days before it hit the live auction floor. it got no further bids on the floor but heritage told me the buyer did not pay so i got my item back and never got my money. heritage couldnt tell me who the winning bidder was. If they would tell me who bid on my item and didnt pay, i would feel a lot more confident that it wasnt heritage bidding themselves and then getting buyers remorse. I have no poof heritage bid on the item, but i have no proof they didn't bid on it either. Obviously I haven't consigned anything else to them. I had three months of my time wasted regardless.

What disturbs me and something I didn't realize is not only does it say nothing about heritage's ability to bid on an item right up to the hammer, it expressley reserves the right to modify or bid right up to the hammer.

This 7 day bid limit that jonathon mentioned is nonsense.

it also is very distubing that it says it can modify its bid right up to the hammer using any data received. so if they find out something about a lot that isn't known or disclosed to the general bidding public, they reserve the right to cancel or reverse their bid, or lower it, but of course you can't.

keithsky
07-18-2012, 07:20 AM
Didn't Mastro get shut down and in trouble for shill bidding? Isn't this basicly the same thing that they are doing but maybe they word it different? I don't know. I guess each auction house does what they want and if you want to participate you do and if not your choice. There is alot of auction house to choose from and that is probably a good thing.

Shoeless Moe
07-18-2012, 07:53 AM
This is an issue that has been discussed on the board previously, and Mr. Roste has it almost completely right. Every bid Heritage places is an intent to buy at wholesale level. We don’t expect to win much at this level since the vast majority of our offerings sell at retail, but we offer the same price we would at a dealer’s booth at the National, for instance. These “house bids” are placed exactly seven days prior to the closing of the auction.

This doesn't make sense, you say "Every bid Heritage places is an intent to buy at wholesale level". Well your bid here won the item, yet you immediately re-list for sale on your Site and you attempt to re-sell it on Ebay. So did the "Consignor" of this item to Heritage actually get paid? I highly doubt it. It most likely is an item owned by Heritage, you bid it up attempting to get max value. It's shill bidding, but you can get away with it because you clearly state we bid on items aka shill bid.

And your claims of Sales totals are very false, because I'm sure you include all these items that were "sold", but really remain with Heritage for future auction or sell on Ebay. So anyone then can say they sold millions of dollars in their auction but when your "winning" your own items, it's a false claim.

Shoeless Moe
07-18-2012, 08:09 AM

And this......"you have an interest in owning", so if u won this item with hopes of "owning", why is it immediately re-listed for sale and then put on Ebay for Sale as well. You have ZERO interest in owning it, you guys bid it up to get max value, if in your eyes u do not get enough from a real bidder, you win the item by default and thus try to re-sell it.

It's a total crock of sh-t!

Obviously u can't come on here and say yes we shill bid.....but don't come on here and try to slap a coat of paint on a piece of sh-t and try to sell your BS.

Just let us talk about the funny business your company may be doing so bidders and consignors are aware of what you may get with Heritage. If u want to pay retail or higher bid with Heritage, if you want to consign to Heritage be aware that your item may not sell to a real bidder and u may be SOL.

E93
07-18-2012, 11:21 AM
As far as I can see there is nothing in the stated policy to prevent Heritage Auctions from checking what all the top all bids are ten minutes before closing of the auction and then raising them all to their limit with the house account. If this does not happen, I think it would be in Heritage Auctions' best interest to formally state that in the rules. In a business with so much room for misleading shenanigans, it seems that formally limiting what can be done in stated rules rather than leaving it open would be a policy that would instill trust. The way it is written now, it is difficult for me to trust what is going on there.
JimB

jefferyepayne
07-18-2012, 03:59 PM
Read this article.

http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2004/1227/156.html

I've learned the hard way that no matter how much I may want something someone is selling, if my gut says I can't trust the person involved in the transaction, I should walk away from the deal. Every time I've ever violated this gut feeling, I've been burned.

jeff

Deertick
07-18-2012, 04:11 PM
Read this article.

http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2004/1227/156.html

I've learned the hard way that no matter how much I may want something someone is selling, if my gut says I can't trust the person involved in the transaction, I should walk away from the deal. Every time I've ever violated this gut feeling, I've been burned.

jeff

"One way to make sure those babies keep rising in price: Halperin allows Heritage employees--himself included--to bid on items it auctions off. What seller wouldn't appreciate having a shill right there on the premises? Especially one with deep pockets. "

Exhibitman
07-18-2012, 04:22 PM
BABU: You shilled my bid?
HERITAGE: Well not technically.
BABU: I kill you!!
HERITAGE: Well what about Mastro?
BABU: I kill both of you!!
HERITAGE: Babu?!
BABU: No Babu! No Babu! You bad auctioneer! You very bad auctioneer! You very lazy bad auctioneer!

http://photos.imageevent.com/exhibitman/dropins/babu_bhatt.jpg

Bocabirdman
07-18-2012, 05:48 PM
It creates a false market with false prices realized. In the case of the program above, if Heritage is in fact "the owner", it is misleading in that respect as well.
JimB

This reminds me of the urban legend about a handful of NY vendors selling 1952 Topps Mantles back and forth amongst themselves inflating the Mantle price back in the 1970's

Jaybird
07-18-2012, 06:16 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9hUy9ePyo6Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

E93
07-18-2012, 06:46 PM
Jason,
You crack me up. But the silence is deafening. What are we to presume by this?
JimB

jefferyepayne
07-18-2012, 06:56 PM
Scene from a Few Good Auctions

HA: You want answers?
Kaffee (Tom Cruise): I think I'm entitled to them.
Kaffee: I want the truth!
HA: You can't handle the truth! Son, we live in a world that has auctions. And those auctions have to be run by men with no values. Who's gonna do it? You Mr. Moderator? You Mr. Collector? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for cards you can't afford and you curse the auction houses for having them. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that by cheating collectors, while tragic, probably saved lives. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives...You don't want the truth. Because deep down, in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me to run that auction. You need me to run that auction.
We use words like house accounts, consignments, buyer's premium...we use these words as the backbone to a life spent cheating everybody. You use 'em as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very auctions I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it! I'd rather you just said thank you and went on bidding on my cards. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up your collect and go home. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you're entitled to!
Kaffee: Did you order the shill bidding?
HA: (quietly) I did the job I was asked to do.
HA: You're goddamn right I did!!

Case closed.

jeff

E93
07-18-2012, 07:01 PM
Jeff,
Absolutely hilarious!
JimB

WillowGrove
07-18-2012, 08:26 PM
Jeff,
Absolutely hilarious!
JimB

+1

I've been attending auctions since the 70s. The rules and dynamics are in my blood and I am shocked that these guys are doing this. Of course I shouldn't be shocked by anything in this day and age but you know what i mean. Who do these guys think they're fooling? Its not right and they should know that.

And again, movie scene.....hysterical. And true.

three25hits
07-18-2012, 08:47 PM
Adam, Jason & Jeff -- too funny. And too bad this stuff is real.

Heritage Sports
07-18-2012, 09:10 PM
We're going to make one last post on this topic and then simply direct any future inquiries back to this post. I'll try to be as clear and direct as I can.

Let me start by stating that I don't mean to "condescend" or insult anybody's intelligence, and if any attitude has been detected in any of my past text (and in my mind I was choosing my words judiciously) I think it's only fair to remember that these posts have been in response to people calling the integrity of Heritage, and by extension myself, into question. This is offensive, particularly due to the fact that it is entirely unwarranted. I think we could all acknowledge that the expected response to "Hey, you're a lying crook," isn't typically, "I beg your pardon, my dear sir, but I must respectfully disagree..." But this isn’t about me, and I certainly don’t want it to be. If you don’t like my words—apologies—but let’s keep focus on the topic.

It’s about Heritage.

I've been around this industry for well over a decade, and have seen a lot of different operations close up. Some were ok, some weren’t. But I say this from my heart, and would say it if I were no longer a HA employee--this is the cleanest, most forthright and honest, most transparent business I've ever personally seen. I don't mean just the memorabilia business. Any business. That's a strong statement, I know. I wouldn't say it if it wasn't true. I might toe the company line, but I wouldn't be so adamant here. I hope at least some of you will take this to heart. I'm not one to throw stones at other organizations--that's not my style--but if anybody truly believes that Heritage is anywhere near the top of the list of worthy targets in this industry then we're clearly operating in different planes of reality.

Every year every consignment director at Heritage, over 100 now in the various collectibles divisions under the HA umbrella, attends a nine-hour training session headed by the owners/founders of Heritage. You hear the word "transparency" like a mantra at these meetings. It is drilled into every Heritage employee, from the very top on down. Call up any consignment director at Heritage and ask about the word. It's practically a religion at Heritage. There's not a single one of us who hasn't had it imprinted upon his or her brain.

Jim Halperin, a visionary in the tradition of a Steve Jobs, was the pioneer of this. It started in coins, and everybody thought he was crazy. He started announcing reserves in an industry where they were always hidden (and still almost always are). He posted past results for similar coins on the actual lot listing for the coin! "If everybody sees it always sells for "X," we'll never get more than "X," people shouted in protest. But Jim was certain that the trust, the transparency, would pay off.

That was years before Heritage was the World's Largest Collectibles Auctioneer, so the proof is in the pudding.

He had a vision of doing something different, and this is it.

Ask around. Ask the top collectors who spend six or seven figures in a calendar year. Ask which houses they'll trust with absentee bids, and which they won't. Watch our auctions live on our website, or come to them in person. Everything, literally everything, is executed with complete transparency.

Honestly, may God help you if you ever broke that code as a HA employee. You could lose a big consignment, you could drop a Tiffany lamp, and you could keep your Heritage employment. You'd be lucky to leave the building with your head if you ever tried to cheat under the Heritage banner. But you'd definitely be leaving.

The particular topic of this thread is no exception to the Heritage code--the policy of house bidding. Every bidder is looking for a bargain--we understand that bidders wouldn't want us in competition for material they're trying to buy. And could anybody doubt how easy it would be for us to simply have cousin Fred in Albuquerque place our house bids, never tell anybody, and whatever he wins just sell quietly and privately? But that wouldn't be honest. That wouldn't be transparent. We place bids in our auctions and we report that we do it. We report when we do it (seven days prior to the auction closing, never after). If we own material, we don't bid on it--we place posted reserves, or (more commonly) we just let it ride.

This is the truth. Period.

I don't think I can make this any more clear.

And if my assurances aren't enough for you, look at the situation in the coldest, most calculating manner possible. We sell close to a billion dollars worth of collectibles annually, over $800 million in the past twelve months. That success, that very considerable sum of money, would be placed at great peril if we were to engage in illegal (or even simply dishonest) tactics.

Heritage is the standard bearer for the way all of us wish the entire industry would operate. You don't have to like everything we do. You don't have to like us at all. But we announce every reserve. We advertise our house bidding policy. We maintain a public database of every single lot we've ever sold. We hide nothing.

We understand that the 800 pound gorilla is going to draw a lot of attention, so we aren't entirely surprised by the negativity we see on this board. But this suggestion that Heritage shill bids has to stop. It is false, which means it is also, by its very definition, libelous. At a certain point, Heritage will have to take more serious steps to protect itself against these claims. Let's hope it never has to come to that.

Again, this is our official response, and the last we'll make. Please spread the word on it. Sadly the Internet tends to bring out destructive instincts in people. You generally find that the people anxious to impugn the integrity of strangers based on a limited understanding of the facts aren’t the type of people one would typically associate with guys like Lou Gehrig or Christy Mathewson, but I hope everybody will understand why we prefer to keep our focus on them instead. The boards are fun that way--this way, they're not. If I’ve offended anybody, I apologize, but attacks on a person’s honor are a serious thing that lately has been taken far too lightly. How should one react?

I hope to hear some brave voices that will echo that sentiment and try to draw this board back out of the high school lunch room. We can do better.

Ending on a high note, hope to see you all in Baltimore at the National, and at our Platinum Night auction at Camden Yards. Bidding is live now at www.HA.com/Sports. (www.HA.com/Sports)

Exhibitman
07-18-2012, 09:23 PM
http://photos.imageevent.com/exhibitman/dropins/websize/deanwormer.jpg

Auctioneer Wormer: Greg, who are the worst bidders at our auctions?
Greg: Well that would be hard to say, sir. They're each outstanding in their own way.
Auctioneer Wormer: Cut the horse***t, son. I've got their bidding records right here. Who never overpays for cards? Who puts in dozens of placeholder bids and hopes to slide by? Every Halloween, we see lots close at wholesale prices. Every spring, the bottom feeders win cards.
Greg: You're talking about wholesale customers, sir.
Auctioneer Wormer: Of course I'm talking about wholesale customers, you TWERP! This year is going to be different. This year we are going to grab the bull by the BALLS and run up their bids.
Greg: What do you intend to do sir? The bidders are already subject to reserves.
Auctioneer Wormer: They are?
Greg: Yes, sir.
Auctioneer Wormer: Oh. Then as of this moment, we'll engage in DOUBLE SECRET RESERVES!
Greg: Double Secret Reserves, Sir?
Auctioneer Wormer: There is a little-known codicil in the auction rules which gives the company unlimited power to jack up prices in times of low bidding. Find me a way to run up the bids on these bottom-feeders while self-righteously proclaiming my honesty and integrity. Put Neidermeyer on it. He's a sneaky little s***, just like you, right? [Greg nods] The time has come for someone to put their foot down. And that foot is me.

Exhibitman
07-18-2012, 09:42 PM
http://photos.imageevent.com/exhibitman/dropins/websize/tyler.jpg

Tyler Durden: Welcome to our Auction.
The first rule of our Auction is: we bid in our own Auction.
The second rule of our Auction is: we BID in our OWN Auction!
Third rule of our Auction: someone's bid is really low, looks like they'll get a bargain, might actually make a profit, we run up the price.
Fourth rule: at least one bidder before we bid.
Fifth rule: one house bid at a time, fellas.
Sixth rule: Just shut up and eat your free food, N54ers.
Seventh rule: auction items will sell for what we say they have to.
And the eighth and final rule: if this is your first time bidding with us, you have to be shilled.

travrosty
07-18-2012, 10:26 PM
In the name of honesty and transparency jonathan, who bid on my consignment, and then didn't pay? I would really like to know. I don't know and I would like to know, but since heritage knows and i don't, how about honestly and transparently telling me who it was?

It was a sonny liston signed exhibition contract signed "charles sonny liston" to refresh your memory. it was in the signature auction a couple of autumns ago.

You go on to say that heritage doesnt do anything wrong, because it wouldn't be honest.

Is saying that an autographed item has a jsa auction loa and post it for live internet weekly auction bidding when jsa hadn't looked at the item yet, is that honest?

Your post rings hollow to me because heritage has shown to say something that isn't true regarding those jsa auction loa's by listing "jsa auction loa" when jsa hadn't looked at it yet. we all know what 'saying something that isn't true' really is.

I have no proof heritage has ever shilled bid, because any time the house bids on an item, you have to read the mind of the person bidding to figure out if they want to genuinely buy it, or just run up the price. since I don't have a mind reading machine, there is no way to know.

I give them the benefit of the doubt and take your word that they are bidding to buy, but their propensity to tell people to that they are naive and 'don't know how a big auction house works' when heritage claims auction loa's when there is none, and only doing something about it 6 months later after the heat was too much for them does not bode well for their claim of honesty and transparency.

True honesty and transparency would have been changing your policy towards listing premature auction LOA's right away and admitting that it wasn't cool to do it that way, not trying to ride it out for half a year and hope the controversy goes away. And only then say that heritage is doing something that the customer wants and is happy to be the shining example of an auction house, to paraphrase. Then ban people like me on the back end for letting top management know of the problem.

It's very visionary of heritage to put in the rules the ability of heritage to bid on the consignement lots themselves and to be able to modify any bid at any time for any reasn using any data they receive right up to the hammer.

And to put it where arguably most people don't read, admittedly, by their own volition, no one is forcing them not to read it, i agree, but the average heritage bidder is going to have some difficulty finding the page that spells out the terms, and they are also not expecting it to happen that they would have to look at the terms just to find out if it happens at not. It's a foreign concept to a lot of bidders that auction houses can actually do this if they just put it in the terms?

Put it black and white up front on each auction lot so people know! That's real transparency! How does it benefit bidders for the house bidding terms to be on some page they have to search for instead of at each individual auction listing?

If I am wrong, please correct me with point by point, detailed refutations because i want to be totally clear and also fair, and I will admit where I haven't been correct if its pointed out to me, but it also means cutting out the talking points and getting to the bottom of why heritage believes its good for them to auction lots and also bid on them, and the same people in charge of these terms are the same who thought putting jsa auction loa's on items that jsa hadn't seen yet, was an idea that was just fine when they eventually reversed course and took those jsa tags off only after people complained.

carrigansghost
07-18-2012, 10:55 PM
Going back to Facebook, less drama.

Rawn

Jaybird
07-18-2012, 11:19 PM
Thanks for your response. I've tried to respond with care and tact and hoping that you're receive my questions in that spirit. Posting the Sound of Silence clip was a playful reminder that we were waiting for a response.

To your points:

But I say this from my heart, and would say it if I were no longer a HA employee--this is the cleanest, most forthright and honest, most transparent business I've ever personally seen. I don't mean just the memorabilia business. Any business. That's a strong statement, I know. I wouldn't say it if it wasn't true. I might toe the company line, but I wouldn't be so adamant here. [/URL]

The problem I have with this statement is that it is without relative comparison. Just because it is the most honest you have been involved in doesn't mean that there are not problems that should be dealt with to improve the honesty and integrity that you believe the company has. The statement closes you off to improvement and change. It also doesn't matter if another company is doing worse. As an illustration: when someone (say my wife), tells me that she doesn't like something about me, I don't tell her that there are worse husbands. I actually listen to her and reflect on what it is she is trying to tell me. I ask that you do the same.

The particular topic of this thread is no exception to the Heritage code--the policy of house bidding. Every bidder is looking for a bargain--we understand that bidders wouldn't want us in competition for material they're trying to buy. And could anybody doubt how easy it would be for us to simply have cousin Fred in Albuquerque place our house bids, never tell anybody, and whatever he wins just sell quietly and privately? But that wouldn't be honest. That wouldn't be transparent. We place bids in our auctions and we report that we do it. We report when we do it (seven days prior to the auction closing, never after). If we own material, we don't bid on it--we place posted reserves, or (more commonly) we just let it ride.[/URL]

This is THE PROBLEM. Because it is in the rules and stated and observed is not a good reason to do it. There have been many arguments in this thread and elsewhere why it is a problem both for consignors and bidders. The fact that (as you state above) "you could have cousin Fred do it" and you don't doesn't change anything. You might as well have cousin Fred do it because we don't know who is doing it. Does it state in the auction that the item was just bid up by the house? So, when I go to place the next bid I know that the house has bumped it up to its current level?

Also, When you buy it at that level and then put it in your store, do you cut the original consignor a piece of that secondary sale? Shouldn't the consignor that put their faith and trust in your sales skills be the beneficiary of that secondary sale? Why should they sell to you at wholesale level only for you to reach a secondary profit?

It doesn't sit right with me as a consignor or bidder. If as a consignor I saw my item sell for more a few months after my auction with you, I'd think that you didn't do right by me and sold it in a way that maximized profit for you but not me. Why not advise me to sell in your secondary market in the first place? Divert items from your auction to that market and thus eliminate the need for you to buy Wholesale and compete with your bidders? Just stop the practice of bidding on your own auctions. It isn't right.

It doesn't matter what happened in the past. We are where we are. Let's move forward and stop bidding on our own auctions. Please.

E93
07-19-2012, 12:13 AM
I appreciate you coming on here and discussing policies and practices at Heritage Auctions. I don't know if we have ever met, but you come across as sincere in your writings here. However there are a couple points I would like to address that I think can be beneficial for Heritage Auctions.

The particular topic of this thread is no exception to the Heritage code--the policy of house bidding.... And could anybody doubt how easy it would be for us to simply have cousin Fred in Albuquerque place our house bids, never tell anybody, and whatever he wins just sell quietly and privately? But that wouldn't be honest. That wouldn't be transparent. We place bids in our auctions and we report that we do it. [/URL]

There is a third option - not to bid in your own auctions and have a binding policy that backs it up. I have no doubt that other auction houses shill bid with "Uncle Fred". You all could choose not to bid in your own auctions overtly or covertly.

We place bids in our auctions and we report that we do it. We report when we do it (seven days prior to the auction closing, never after). If we own material, we don't bid on it--we place posted reserves, or (more commonly) we just let it ride.
[/URL]

This is not the policy stated in your rules. There is no limitation in your rules that would demand you stop bidding seven days prior to the auction closing. If there is "never [house bidding] after", why not change the written rules in accordance with that to put our minds at ease. Otherwise, as it is stated now it sounds like there is no reason for the house to refrain from bidding all absentee bids up to their max just before the close of the auction.

Also, you say the house does not bid on its own material, but your explicit rules say that doing so would be fine. If it never happens, please change the written rule.

You can make a lot of people a lot more comfortable if the written rules reflected the actual practices you claim. Seems like there would be nothing to lose and everything to gain by doing so.

Again, thank you for your willingness to come on here. And thank you for your consideration of these suggestions.

JimB

Exhibitman
07-19-2012, 05:22 AM
OK, I've had some fun with this thread but in all seriousness, I am appalled by the twisted thinking behind this comment:

"Every bidder is looking for a bargain--we understand that bidders wouldn't want us in competition for material they're trying to buy."

No, you clearly don't understand that, because if you did you would realize that every bid Heritage places on its own account does the exact opposite: it takes away the bargain that the bidder might otherwise get in a truly open market and directly competes with the bidders.

Jason's point also is well taken about consignments. I would never, ever consider consigning to Heritage as long as I know that they might try to buy my item in the guise of an auction to resell for a profit. If I want to wholesale my stuff I might as well just wholesale directly to a dealer for cash on delivery and not waste my time waiting around for a consignment to be auctioned and paid.

I guess the bottom line is that taking at least the 19.5% Buyer's Premium out of the hides of consignors isn't enough, so Heritage's management feels it is justified in taking away lots that are good wholesale buys so it can resell them and reap additional profits from their consignors. The justifications are simply insults to our intelligence carefully crafted by corporate flacks to divert attention from what is going on.

Frank Lopez: You know what a chazzer is?
Tony Montana: No, Frank, you tell me. What is a chazzer?
Frank Lopez: It's a Yiddish word for "pig." See, the guy, he wants more than what he needs. He don't fly straight no more.

jefferyepayne
07-19-2012, 08:38 AM
We understand that the 800 pound gorilla is going to draw a lot of attention, so we aren't entirely surprised by the negativity we see on this board. But this suggestion that Heritage shill bids has to stop. It is false, which means it is also, by its very definition, libelous. At a certain point, Heritage will have to take more serious steps to protect itself against these claims. Let's hope it never has to come to that.

A personal opinion is not libelous. Sooooo....

My personal OPINION is that house bidding is shill bidding. Perhaps only for the purpose of setting a reserve amount but its still shill bidding. Others may disagree but this practice is not acceptable to me.

Another policy I have is to never do business with people who threaten me. In my OPINION, the above statement is a threat so I am done with HA.

jeff

Shoeless Moe
07-19-2012, 09:58 AM
I think they need a representative from the baseball community to help with their image, may I suggest Curt Schilling.

RUSH2112
07-19-2012, 10:39 AM
Pleased to see that 99% of members that posted here know the difference between right and wrong and won't be influenced by a hired spokesperson.

Noun 1. spin doctor - a public relations person who tries to forestall negative publicity by publicizing a favorable interpretation of the words or actions of a company or political party or famous person; "his title is Director of Communications but he is just a spin doctor"

Wymers Auction
07-19-2012, 10:50 AM

HA: You can't handle the truth! Son, we live in a world that has auctions. And those auctions have to be run by men with no values. Who's gonna do it? You Mr. Moderator? You Mr. Collector? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for cards you can't afford and you curse the auction houses for having them. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that by cheating collectors, while tragic, probably saved lives. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives...You don't want the truth. Because deep down, in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me to run that auction. You need me to run that auction.
We use words like house accounts, consignments, buyer's premium...we use these words as the backbone to a life spent cheating everybody. You use 'em as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very auctions I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it! I'd rather you just said thank you and went on bidding on my cards. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up your collect and go home. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you're entitled to!

Case closed.

jeff
This is one of the funniest things I have read on here!!!!

E93
07-19-2012, 10:57 AM
Oh yes, I forgot to address the threat of legal action for libel. How is inquiring about the policies and procedures of a company we do/did business with libel? How is questioning the ethics of certain practices (legal or not) libel? Were any untruths stated because that is what you are insinuating. You speak of feeling insulted and then do the same or worse with your insinuation. This has been an opportunity for a PR coup by Heritage if you were to modify your policies so that they are in line with hobby and ethical norms. Instead you have chosen to go on the offensive with this threat. Offending and threatening customers is never a good PR policy.
JimB

Griffins
07-19-2012, 11:32 AM
<<<Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferyepayne View Post

Case closed.

jeff
This is one of the funniest things I have read on here!!!! >>>>

Agreed, this ranks right alongside The Archives threatening to sue themselves.

Jaybird
07-19-2012, 11:48 AM
Any response from Heritage? You can get out in front of it and just stop the house bidding. At this point this thread has been up for 2 days and has 2300 views. This can't be good for business.

Just stop the house bidding in the sports auctions. We'll let all the other memorabilia, art, movie poster, western, coins, etc. go for now. Happy to have just one arm of the company do the right thing.

Pretty please. Stop polishing the turd. Just flush it and start again.

FourStrikes
07-19-2012, 12:47 PM

Exhibitman
07-19-2012, 12:57 PM
Any response from Heritage? You can get out in front of it and just stop the house bidding. At this point this thread has been up for 2 days and has 2300 views. This can't be good for business.

Just stop the house bidding in the sports auctions. We'll let all the other memorabilia, art, movie poster, western, coins, etc. go for now. Happy to have just one arm of the company do the right thing.

Thanks for making me do a spit take on that last line...off to get a new shirt now.

BigJJ
07-19-2012, 01:03 PM
This is not directed at Heritage; I respect Heritage as I respect many auction houses with similar practice.

In a perfect world, auction houses should not be bidding on their own items.

Here are a few BIG reasons why:

(i) It creates an incentive for the exact opposite result the CONSIGNOR seeks - as it creates an incentive for the auction house to achieve poor results at auction for certain items. The auction house may (i) not include all beneficial information in the description and/or may not describe the item as well, (ii) not place the item in the the catalogue or auction line-up as well, and/or (iii) take inferior pictures of the item. All to lead to little bidding - and to a relatively inexpensive pick-up for the auction house.

(ii) Ability to run-up the price on absentee bidders. Someone sends in an absentee bid for 10k, current bidding is at 5k - Can the auction house bid 9k? if they really would like the piece for 9k, but knowing that they will not win the item at such amount? It is arguably not shill bidding if they would genuinely like to acquire such item at such price. For an auction house to avoid purposely running-up the price of items, there would have to be blockout screens to recordings of such absentee bids - to the very top people in the department (the ones who place the bids on behalf of the organization); I doubt such blockout screens exist generally.

(iii) The auction house has 'insider information' with regard to the piece itself. It has knowledge about the particular lot that the public does not - provenance, additional background info. It is not a fair and level playing field for BIDDERS who are not the auction house.

(iv) The auction house has 'insider information' with regard to who has bid, and who is going to bid on a particular item via phone bidding, who has looked at the item and expressed interest. It is not fair to BIDDERS to have an auction house bidding with them - perhaps in an effort to bid them up, because of who they are in terms of wealth and collections, and pattern of bidding.

(v) Such bidding does amount in practice to a double, and secret, reserve.

(vi) Can the auction house renege on a bid claiming error? And be a continuing bidder despite non-payment.

Importantly, the fact that an auction house may tell you that they may bid against you, does not solve the above problems with such practice.

Pre-2009, credit card companies told us in small writing that if we defaulted on credit card payments, they would charge us whatever large annual percentage APR figure they arrived at, say 400%. That does not mean it was right, or fair, the fact they told us. Many cardholders just did not have places to go with better conditions. Now there are better laws governing such practice.

We are still in the Wild West with auctions. At some point, there may be laws against such practice, which benefits the auction house, but not its many forms of clients.

jefferyepayne
07-19-2012, 01:54 PM
+1

jeff

Jaybird
07-19-2012, 02:25 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NP0mQeLWCCo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

keithsky
07-19-2012, 03:14 PM
This isn't directed at any auction house and no one specific but I just find the word Auction House means just that, you are a company in business that auctions consignors items. You are not an Auction and Bidding House. If that is the case use that word in your title

Jaybird
07-19-2012, 04:24 PM
We hide nothing. [/URL]

You're hiding whether it is you or a legitimate bidder bidding on the item. I don't know if it is the house bid, Cousin Fred, or another interested bidder. Disclose the house bids. Put a little red flag out there that said the last bid was a house bid. Then I know when I'm placing a bid, who I'm topping.

We maintain a public database of every single lot we've ever sold. [/URL]

Interesting point. How about if that same public database didn't hide the fact that Heritage had won that particular lot? Shouldn't the people looking at that database know when Heritage has bid and won the lot? It would mean a lot to me and would make a difference in how I value that item.

I hope to hear some brave voices that will echo that sentiment and try to draw this board back out of the high school lunch room.[/URL]

Everyone here is having a little fun but also asking serious questions. The response that you feel hurt and that it's high school only serves to try and minimize the people asking the hard questions. Answer the direct questions instead of commenting about your hurt feelings. It's a business.

Maddog
07-19-2012, 07:57 PM
They can't answer these questions directly because the facts speak for themselves.
I'm sure all are familiar with the old Duck analogy.
The auction houses are confident in themselves because there seems to be the impression that it is better to deal with an auction house than a dealer. Personally, I have more confidence dealing with a Jim S and Rich S than I do with any auction house.
Insider trading is illegal, I fail to see how in the scheme of things shill/"house" bidding is really any diferent? As long as one party has an unfair advantage over the other party one can only question the ethics of the deal. In my line of work if there is ANY question as to the structure of a deal run; do not walk; do not collect the $200, it will only cost you 10 times that down the road.

Wite3
07-20-2012, 08:14 AM
It never ceases to amaze me how greed gets in the way of good business sense...

Heritage...ask your self this question...

Does coming out and stating you will no longer "house" bid your auctions and be completely transparent help your business in the long run? Would more people consign with you? Would you lose customers?

Seriously? I would be far more likely to bid in your auctions if this was the case and I am sure consignors would be far more comfortable as well. I just do not see a downside in the long run. You are running the risk of causing more problems for yourself.

BTW, I would love to see you pursue a libel suit against anyone on this board. As someone said, opinion would be hard to prove damages on. Ask REA how their suit is going. The other thing to consider is that the second you file that suit, I am sure that the opposite lawyer will be asking you to open all your files and all your books including bid histories, payments, etc. How comfortable are you with that?

Exhibitman
07-20-2012, 10:08 AM
I do not believe for a moment that Heritage will sue over the jokes and opinions of chat board posters, regardless of the threats their flack makes [bad public relations move, dude--when trying to plead your case to the public, generally not a good idea to insult or threaten them]. It isn't so much the virtually impossible task of proving actual damages [you can still win a defamation per se case without actual damages], it is that Heritage would have to overcome the opinion and parody defenses, which I believe are dispositive in this case and would likely result in a summary disposition of the case. Not only that, the moment Heritage alleges lost profits or business damage the ensuing discovery into the company's finances and business conduct would force Heritage to open its books and records, something I do not think the owners of any private enterprise want to do.

I also don't see any intelligent attorney telling Heritage to file a defamation case because the blowback would undermine their auction structure. Iin my opinion their auction rules are designed not for transparency but for plausible deniability: as long as bidders don't know which lots Heritage house bid, they can tell themselves that their lots weren't house bid. Discovery in litigation could create real transparency by potentially forcing Heritage to state exactly which lots it bid on and when. Even if I suspected a house bid had been used to run up the price of a lot, I know that if I actually discovered that I might have won a lot for hundreds or even thousands less than I paid but for Heritage's bid, I'd be very pissed. Certainly, I'd never do business with them again.

Jaybird
07-20-2012, 10:34 AM
Well said as usual, Adam.

That's what get's me the most, the "We Hide Nothing." statement.

Everything is hidden. Tell us WHEN you bid on WHAT items. Then tell us WHICH items you have won or are bidding on. That simple.

HIDE NOTHING!

thxforthebp
07-20-2012, 01:01 PM
Update........
Still no contact from Heritage about the "lost" Scranton jersey ever showing up that I won in one of their prior auctions
Was told now it was pulled from the auction after the sale (REAL PROFESSIONAL) and doesn't even appear on prior auction results if you search their site....VERY VERY suspicious.
I will tell every single person I ever meet in this hobby how HORRIBLE Heritage is to deal with

J. Drasher
jbd99@verizon.net

Maddog
07-20-2012, 06:37 PM
+1

travrosty
07-20-2012, 11:38 PM
well, heritage came on here and said they are awesome, so who can argue with that? ;)

Runscott
07-21-2012, 10:13 AM
I think I missed something, and I would rather run into a pointed stick than re-read all these posts...

Did Heritage say that they also pay the buyer's premium if they win, ala the other auction house that we previously beat into submission? If not, then they truly are killing one of their primary customers: the dealers who HAVE to get lots near wholesale; i.e-Heritage' price would actually be one bid lower than what wholesale is for everyone else.

Bugsy
07-21-2012, 10:27 AM
I think I missed something, and I would rather run into a pointed stick than re-read all these posts...

Did Heritage say that they also pay the buyer's premium if they win, ala the other auction house that we previously beat into submission? If not, then they truly are killing one of their primary customers: the dealers who HAVE to get lots near wholesale; i.e-Heritage' price would actually be one bid lower than what wholesale is for everyone else.

You mean do they pay themselves the buyer's premium? I just took $5 out of my left pocket and put into into my right one.

Runscott
07-21-2012, 11:01 AM
You mean do they pay themselves the buyer's premium? I just took $5 out of my left pocket and put into into my right one.

If it's a separate business, it makes a difference. If not, then of course it doesn't.

Jaybird
07-21-2012, 11:04 AM
They are done talking to us it seems. We don't really matter. We're just their customer base. Sports collectibles make up a tiny percentage of their yearly sales and they appear content to just let silence be the answer to legitimate concerns by their customers.

I've yet to see anyone post that they are OK with current practices at Heritage.

Edited to add: This thread has had 4,089 views in 5 days.

Bugsy
07-21-2012, 11:53 AM
If it's a separate business, it makes a difference. If not, then of course it doesn't.

If the auction house is buying lots from their own auctions, they are getting a 20% discount compared to the rest of the bidders. Now my analogy of taking $5 from one pocket and putting it into the other is a bit oversimplified because they theoretically pay a tax on that 20% bp, but I'm sure the amount they end up paying depends on how they keep their books. Either way, they are receiving a substantial discount the rest of their bidders are not getting. This is another ethical issue to consider.

Runscott
07-21-2012, 05:53 PM
If the auction house is buying lots from their own auctions, they are getting a 20% discount compared to the rest of the bidders. Now my analogy of taking $5 from one pocket and putting it into the other is a bit oversimplified because they theoretically pay a tax on that 20% bp, but I'm sure the amount they end up paying depends on how they keep their books. Either way, they are receiving a substantial discount the rest of their bidders are not getting. This is another ethical issue to consider.

The last time we had this discussion (regarding a different large auction house), they explained that, as two separate companies, they paid the buyers premium if their 'sister' company bid on auctions. If that's the case with Heritage, then they aren't getting a 20% discount. But I don't know - waiting for someone to chime in.

BigJJ
07-21-2012, 08:06 PM
In instances in which an auction house actually wins an item, as opposed to just bidding, the auction house loses the buyers premium from what would have been a non-auction house high bidder, so saying an auction house gets the piece at a good size discount to non-auction house bidders by not paying a buyers premium (or by paying buyers premium to another company business) is not really accurate. There is a smidgen of a discount - the amount of buyers premium the auction house would have paid (if they were not the auction house) at the price they won the item, less the amount of buyers premium the losing non-auction house bidder would have paid if the auction house had not bid and won. Therefore, I do not think this is much of a factor.

HRBAKER
07-22-2012, 08:23 AM
They are done talking to us it seems. We don't really matter. We're just their customer base. Sports collectibles make up a tiny percentage of their yearly sales and they appear content to just let silence be the answer to legitimate concerns by their customers.

I've yet to see anyone post that they are OK with current practices at Heritage.

Edited to add: This thread has had 4,089 views in 5 days.

If a person thinks that all these things are going on and thinks that they are all wrong but continues to bid/patronize an AH, the net effect is that you are saying it is OK.

Jaybird
07-22-2012, 10:23 AM
I agree with you, Jeff. I'm not going to bid until such time as I get assurance that Heritage has stopped bidding on their own items or at least tells us which items they are bidding on so I can avoid them.

E93
07-22-2012, 10:40 AM
My guess is they won't change until they think this is negatively impacting their bottom line. Nobody has posted over here saying they appreciate what Heritage is doing and wish more auction houses would do the same.

The fact that they seem unwilling to change their policy leads me to believe they are making a lot of extra money doing what they are doing and that they can weather the negative publicity here. They won't even change the written policy so that it is in line with their own claims about their actual practices made above. Bidders should think long and hard about this.

It is just my opinion, but my evaluation of their actions is that they do not care what we, their customers think, at least not in any substantive way. As long as it does not impact their profits, they will not change.
JimB

chaddurbin
07-22-2012, 10:56 AM
i'd like to thank heritage for sponsoring the nat'l dinner. keep up the good work guys.

carrigansghost
07-22-2012, 09:29 PM
Drink a few beers then ask Heritage these questions at the dinner. If I had a problem with a person or company sponsoring an event, I certainly would not attend. A bit hypocritical in my book, but all of the "holier than thou's" will attend regardless.

Rawn

Leon
07-22-2012, 10:38 PM
Drink a few beers then ask Heritage these questions at the dinner. If I had a problem with a person or company sponsoring an event, I certainly would not attend. A bit hypocritical in my book, but all of the "holier than thou's" will attend regardless.

Rawn

This is a Net54baseball dinner and HA is helping sponsor it. If anyone doesn't want to come to it just let me know. No worries at all.

carrigansghost
07-22-2012, 11:06 PM
You will have no opt outs, many talk, but don't back it up. I put myself through school playing pool, poker, and other bar stuff, learned to look through the
BS. Let's see who bids on the next HA auction, but has posted negative comments on this thread.

Rawn

Jaybird
07-22-2012, 11:22 PM
You will have no opt outs, many talk, but don't back it up. I put myself through school playing pool, poker, and other bar stuff, learned to look through the
BS. Let's see who bids on the next HA auction, but has posted negative comments on this thread.

Rawn

where do you sit on the subject at hand?

jefferyepayne
07-23-2012, 03:08 AM

Rawn

And that's the reason why HA will not change their policy. Until a lot of people start voting with their $$$ instead of their mouths, you can't expect anything to change.

As stated, I will never, ever, again bid on something in an HA auction until they address this issue. Who is with me? Take a stand, people, and spread the word.

jeff

carrigansghost
07-23-2012, 09:52 AM
I have consigned to them for an upcoming auction and have no doubts the items will bring a fair price. I've found that collectors will bid on an item in any auction if they want to add it to their collection. Very few actually stick to their guns and have the self control to follow their words.

I've worked many auctions. I have been an active bidder in some of those auctions for myself during these auctions, nothing hidden. If I knew an item could be bought at a price where it could be flipped for a profit, hell I threw in a bid. I don't care who buys my items as long as I get a decent price.

Have a nice time at the gathering!!

Spartan833
07-23-2012, 11:26 AM
I do not bid in large auctions very often, so I don't really have a strong opinion on the policy. I do think this is an issue for buyers more than someone that consigns like yourself Rawn.

However, I am not sure that it is hypocritical to go to the Net 54 dinner because you disagree with a sponsors policies and practices. I don't like all of the sponsoring companies for a fundraiser that I attend annually, but I still go to enjoy the event and the people attending. Does that make me a hypocrite? I am not attending the event to support the sponsors, I am there to support the organization that is having the event.

I do agree that if you complain strongly and then still bid in their auctions, that is another story.

Jaybird
07-23-2012, 11:32 AM
I have consigned to them for an upcoming auction and have no doubts the items will bring a fair price. I've found that collectors will bid on an item in any auction if they want to add it to their collection. Very few actually stick to their guns and have the self control to follow their words.

I've worked many auctions. I have been an active bidder in some of those auctions for myself during these auctions, nothing hidden. If I knew an item could be bought at a price where it could be flipped for a profit, hell I threw in a bid. I don't care who buys my items as long as I get a decent price.

Have a nice time at the gathering!!

The issue of whether people will bid on the auction if there is House Bidding is obviously yes. As you say, people will bid if there is an item they really want. That still doesn't make it OK for them to do it.

I think the issue of people going to the dinner, etc. is deflecting and distracting this thread from the real topic of the House Bidding by Heritage.

carrigansghost
07-23-2012, 11:39 AM
In my little world, yes. To further the point, I'm against any organized religieon, therefore will not attend any benefit held in a "church". I will attend funerals, weddings afterwards at the site away from these places, i.e. receptions, cemetaries. I'm a man of principals, slow to ship out packages, but they will come.

I would in no way go to a meeting sponsered by a company that I publicly bash, just to get some free food and drink. I sleep well at night.

Rawn

Wite3
07-23-2012, 12:09 PM
Rawn will not be attending the dinner because not only is it sponsored by Heritage Auctions but the food will be catered by Chick Fil A and In and Out Burger, the drinks will be provided by Wal-Mart, and his table and seat number ended up being 3:16...

:D

Runscott
07-23-2012, 12:11 PM
As you say, people will bid if there is an item they really want.
That's obviously not true of everyone. There are many board members who toss catalogs without even opening them, if from an auction house they disrespect. You can assume that people posting in this forum are being hypocrites. Some probably are, but I doubt anyone's going to guilt them into behaving differently.

I think the issue of people going to the dinner, etc. is deflecting and distracting this thread from the real topic of the House Bidding by Heritage.
Yeah, it was an interesting topic with additional information potential, until the pedestals came out.

Jaybird
07-23-2012, 12:11 PM
I would in no way go to a meeting sponsered by a company that I publicly bash, just to get some free food and drink. I sleep well at night.

Rawn

Just pointing out facts and questioning whether a company wants to continue to act in a way that hurts their customer base.

edited to stop the back and forth. Rawn, you have your opinion and I have mine. Agree to disagree.

peterose4hof
07-23-2012, 12:31 PM
In my little world, yes. To further the point, I'm against any organized religieon, therefore will not attend any benefit held in a "church". I will attend funerals, weddings afterwards at the site away from these places, i.e. receptions, cemetaries. I'm a man of principals, slow to ship out packages, but they will come.

Rawn

Rawn, I believe you had said before that you have children. What would you do if one of your kids wants to get married in a church some day?

carrigansghost
07-23-2012, 02:38 PM
I would tell my son to just go ahead and give her half on your shit, kick you in the nuts and limp away. Seriously boys, I would not go to the event, (it's a gathering of us geeks), if I felt strongly about Heritage.

Josh, if you were to make this comment about members of any faith, instead of my belief in none, you would be an outcast by now.

Hypocrits come out when their beliefs are questioned. I have no beliefs, therefore, "Oh to hell with me". Let ye that are without sin cast the first stone.....Looks like a long weekend for you in a cramped booth saying "sorry".

I don't shop at walmart, I support local owner's.

Wite3
07-23-2012, 03:50 PM
Rawn,
I am an outcast and proud of it. Most people took it as a joke. I hope you did as well.

I am not attending the dinner this year either. Why? Honestly because my government values other things other than paying teachers what they are worth.

..no harm was meant by it and it was to point out that often we overlook certain things in our lives that supposedly compromise our value systems.

Joshua

BigJJ
07-23-2012, 03:59 PM
The auction house practices of (i) house bidding, (ii) house consigning, and (iii) access to absentee bid amounts, etc. extend beyond Heritage - I believe to nearly every baseball auction house - except REA (with Honest Auto Bid). Please advise of others.

This discussion should include Heritage, but extend beyond it - perhaps in a new all encompassing thread.

We should be encouraging all auction houses:

(i) to have a block-out screen for absentee and ceiling bids
(ii) to not have house bidding (or if you do, to make each such BID public RIGHT WHEN IT IS PLACED), and
(iii) to not have house consigning (or if you do, to state in the description that such lot is house-owned)
(iv) to not have hidden reserves

Which auction houses state that they do this? Which do not so state?
And - how do we know that they are adhering to their published rules anyway?

If you're not taking food from Heritage (please give it to me), who can you take food from? These practices are endemic to the field of auctions - there needs to be better federal/state laws reflective of advances in technology (screens for absentee/ceiling bids) and advances in understanding (auction houses likely should be only auction houses). But a collecting community can have some impact, particularly on the larger players in the arena.

Jaybird
07-23-2012, 04:01 PM
Nm

carrigansghost
07-23-2012, 04:19 PM
Go right ahead and state you opinion,Jason.

3.16 would be a great ERA for the Sox to pick up.

Rawn

carrigansghost
07-23-2012, 04:27 PM
Please don't get me started on teacher's wages. I would love to work 38 weeks a year for 30K plus benefits a year here in Maine. I have a teacher on my facebook that complains endlessly about the work and posts photos of her summer exploits. I lived with a teacher for 2 years and she was never late getting home from work and I never saw her doing any homework.

Rawn

HRBAKER
07-23-2012, 05:36 PM
Having no pedestals is a pedestal.

...........and there's nothing wrong with that.

Runscott
07-23-2012, 05:47 PM
Having no pedestals is a pedestal.

...........and there's nothing wrong with that.

Funny you should say that - I was thinking it myself as I typed. It's kind of a strange loop.

I like to put women on pedestals....just high enough that I can see up their skirts.

yanks12025
07-23-2012, 05:49 PM
I'm confused.

Rawn,
You don't like heritage, won't go to the dinner because they are a sponsor yet you consigned items to their next auction? If i confused the information, sorry.

HRBAKER
07-23-2012, 05:53 PM
I have no opinion on the degree of hypocrisy it is to bid (or dine with) with a AH that you complain about, however I do think it is myopic to think that any business would change their practices when customers continue to demonstrate that despite their indignation they will come back for more.

carrigansghost
07-23-2012, 06:30 PM
Actually,Brock, I have no problem with any auction house. I have said nothing against them or for them. I have a problem with the bashers that will go to the gathering regardless of their personal feelings.

It's the little pricks on here that think they are the kings that get to me. Please reread the posts and then come back with something constructive.

Ever seen the Carrigan? I will never stop looking for it.

Rawn

yanks12025
07-23-2012, 06:32 PM
Actually,Brock, I have no problem with any auction house. I have said nothing against them or for them. I have a problem with the bashers that will go to the gathering regardless of their personal feelings.

It's the little pricks on here that think they are the kings that get to me. Please reread the posts and then come back with something constructive.

Ever seen the Carrigan? I will never stop looking for it.

Rawn

ok... sorry for the confusion.

Wite3
07-23-2012, 06:55 PM
Wow, way to bash my profession as not important, lazy and a bunch of complainers...

Joshua

PS Very hurt and I thought better of you Rawn.

Jaybird
07-23-2012, 06:59 PM
Link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_%28Internet%29)

carrigansghost
07-23-2012, 07:06 PM
Nice link, I would hope many read it. So now I'm a troll for telling it like it is. Cool, get over it, how many out there would like a teacher's sched? I would rather than 64 hours a week on the clock plus classes off the clock. O chit I'm not in the union.

I still call my teachers Mr. or Mrs.

Rawn

David Atkatz
07-23-2012, 07:07 PM
Please don't get me started on teacher's wages. I would love to work 38 weeks a year for 30K plus benefits a year here in Maine. I have a teacher on my facebook that complains endlessly about the work and posts photos of her summer exploits. I lived with a teacher for 2 years and she was never late getting home from work and I never saw her doing any homework.

Rawn
.I guess your experiences with the two teachers you mention just says it all for the entire discipline.
(If you think it's such a cushy job, Rawn, what's stopping you from becoming a teacher? Lack of education, perhaps?)

carrigansghost
07-23-2012, 07:13 PM
Actually no, it's the attitude of the parents. I'll put my education up against anyone on the board. I'm thinking maybe 51% I'm ahead of. Fine with me.

Rawn

David Atkatz
07-23-2012, 07:15 PM
Not a forensic examiner, nor a veterinarian, but I know a horse's behind from a long ways away.

RawnSo do the rest of us.

carrigansghost
07-23-2012, 07:20 PM
Smelled you from a long way off.

Anyone else want to chime in to get off topic? 12 weeks vacation a year to start plus snow days, workshops, conferences and it's only the start.

Rawn

David Atkatz
07-23-2012, 07:24 PM
I am not attending the dinner this year either. Why? Honestly because my government values things other than paying teachers what they are worth.So does Rawn.
But thinking people side with you, Joshua.

carrigansghost
07-23-2012, 07:27 PM
All for paying teachers if they deserve it. Some care, some don't.

I'm against unions as wel.

Rawn

mighty bombjack
07-23-2012, 08:46 PM
All for paying teachers if they deserve it. Some care, some don't.

If you figure out a way to measure that, let the rest of us know.

I REALLY wish you'd become a public school teacher, even in the relatively friendly confines of Maine. It would smack the condescension off of your face in the first week, I know it.

Wite3
07-23-2012, 09:23 PM
Rawn,

I actually used to like you before this thread but when you attack something very dear to me and something that I work extremely hard at (and attack it for no reason other than to make yourself seem superior), then I feel I might need to respond.

Your education might be higher than mine (although I doubt it). I am glad you have one. I wonder if it was home schooled or did you have dedicated/ hard working teachers? Even if you have 12 horrible teachers, it only takes one good one to erase all that.

Trade jobs with me for a week...I will be a field technician (whatever that is) for a small company in Maine and you can be an elementary teacher in one of the poorest districts in California.

I spend over $1000 of my own money a year for my classroom (sometimes more)...how much do you spend for your job? I work hard at school. I do not get breaks during the day except for a 45 minute lunch (which we often work through). (I often spend recess copying, calling parents, writing reports, meeting with the principal, etc.) I work from 7 am to 5 pm nearly everyday. I work nights at least two times a week catching up on grading, planning, or email. I teach summer school. Did you know that the majority of teachers in this country work a second job during summer (some even at night) to make ends meet? My summer break was exactly 9 weeks this year and I start back on August 6 even though the kids do not start until the 12th. How many days did you work this year where you did not get paid? I had 5 furlough days this year and 5 this coming year. I have not had a raise in my salary for 7 years (not even a cost of living increase).

You mention dealing with parents...I can just imagine what your parent conferences must be like with your children (not sure you have any...but I shudder when I think about it).

I joked with you and you attacked me. I am just dismayed.

I would like to thank a few people who pm'ed me and sent support.

Done with you and this thread...troll turned out to be an accurate description...now I am sad I ever helped you with the t205 polar bear carrigan. :(

Joshua
Proud Public School Teacher of the last 15 years!

3-2-count
07-23-2012, 09:47 PM
Rawn,
Although it's very difficult for a man to do, many times it's necessary for him to step away and say he was wrong. I have no beef with you, but can tell you that you came away in this thread looking very disrespectful towards others. Sometimes a man's opinion should be kept to himself out of pure respect for others. Nothing more!!

E93
07-23-2012, 11:17 PM
Actually no, it's the attitude of the parents. I'll put my education up against anyone on the board. I'm thinking maybe 51% I'm ahead of. Fine with me.

Rawn

4 "sentences"
1 of 4 is incomplete.
1 ends with a preposition.

Personally, I would not "put my education up against anyone on the board" if half my sentences were grammatically flawed.

Your potshots against the education profession at all levels are simply ignorant. As an educator I work about 50-60 hours per week during the nine months per year when I am getting paid. I work about 20-30 hours per week during the summer when I am not getting paid.
JimB

jefferyepayne
07-24-2012, 06:15 AM
Rawn,

I actually used to like you before this thread but when you attack something very dear to me and something that I work extremely hard at (and attack it for no reason other than to make yourself seem superior), then I feel I might need to respond.

Your education might be higher than mine (although I doubt it). I am glad you have one. I wonder if it was home schooled or did you have dedicated/ hard working teachers? Even if you have 12 horrible teachers, it only takes one good one to erase all that.

Trade jobs with me for a week...I will be a field technician (whatever that is) for a small company in Maine and you can be an elementary teacher in one of the poorest districts in California.

I spend over $1000 of my own money a year for my classroom (sometimes more)...how much do you spend for your job? I work hard at school. I do not get breaks during the day except for a 45 minute lunch (which we often work through). (I often spend recess copying, calling parents, writing reports, meeting with the principal, etc.) I work from 7 am to 5 pm nearly everyday. I work nights at least two times a week catching up on grading, planning, or email. I teach summer school. Did you know that the majority of teachers in this country work a second job during summer (some even at night) to make ends meet? My summer break was exactly 9 weeks this year and I start back on August 6 even though the kids do not start until the 12th. How many days did you work this year where you did not get paid? I had 5 furlough days this year and 5 this coming year. I have not had a raise in my salary for 7 years (not even a cost of living increase).

You mention dealing with parents...I can just imagine what your parent conferences must be like with your children (not sure you have any...but I shudder when I think about it).

I joked with you and you attacked me. I am just dismayed.

I would like to thank a few people who pm'ed me and sent support.

Done with you and this thread...troll turned out to be an accurate description...now I am sad I ever helped you with the t205 polar bear carrigan. :(

Joshua
Proud Public School Teacher of the last 15 years!

+1000

I have to agree 1000% with Joshua on this one. My grandfather and father were both school teachers for over 35 years in their respective school districts. My dad didn't make a lot of $$$ but he worked hard all year long. In the summers he and others painted houses, took second jobs, etc. to make ends meet. Most nights were spent grading papers or entering grades into grade books or creating new assignments. And that was after he coached football or wrestling or whatever other school activities he was involved in after school let out. During sports seasons, my father left the house each morning at 6:30am and got home at 6:30pm every night.

When I got my Master's in Computer Science as a snot-nosed 20 something, I made more money right out of college than my father who had been teaching for 25 years by then. How fair is that? If our children are our future, how can we not value those who educate them?

Keep doing what you do, Joshua. Our kids need teachers like you!

jeff

barrysloate
07-24-2012, 07:38 AM
There's no question that our teachers are underpaid and underappreciated and it's really not fair. In particular I want to laud Joshua for all his hard work, and I'm sure he does a whole lot more for his students than his job requires. And yet he keeps getting attacked for it; this isn't the first time. I just don't get it.

GrayGhost
07-24-2012, 07:41 AM
When I was younger, I had thoughts of being a teacher. Such an impt job IMO, and to have someone come on and talk bout how many weeks they work and all is sour grapes. Its a TOUGH job w a lot of kids who you have the power to help thru life.

One of the professions I respect t he most.

thekingofclout
07-24-2012, 08:19 AM
I was very fortunate that I had one very special teacher, in which I really don't know where I would have ended up without her. God Bless you Bonnie Deal, wherever you are.

I also have a great deal of respect for Teachers, at every level. But... correct me if I'm wrong... didn't you guys know going into it that you were choosing a career that would never really be financially rewarding?

I would think that the biggest financial perk for Teachers has to be a having real pension instead of a 401k - and being able to retire before you're too old to enjoy it. Hell, in my field, I'm lucky my job offers any kind of retirement at all.

I too am not a fan of unions, but I do understand that there are some fields that they are essential like the Police, Firefighters, and Teachers. Of course after 25 years of service, my employer has given me just one raise... from $10 an hour to $10.75 (and I'm the Supervisor!) No kidding. When you depend on gratuities for your livelihood, you pretty much must work swingshift, weekends, and Holidays, so at least you'll have a decent opportunity to make your money. So, I tend to not feel so bad for union workers that have full benefits. But like all the rest of you, I also chose my career without a gun to my head (that came at least ten years into it).

earlywynnfan
07-24-2012, 08:27 AM
Joshua, I've stayed out of this because I'm very tired from defending our job for the last few years. In Ohio, much like Wisconsin and many other states, teachers have become the public face of "everything that's wrong with this country: cushy job, world-class benefits, economy-destroying retirement plan." And don't forget that with tenure, you can't fire us! (No matter that none of these are exactly true.) I'm tired of hearing how many lousy teachers people have had through the years. I'm tired of politicians passing mandate after mandate at us, no matter how unreasonable.

So I come here, where I can think sports and take my mind off all this. And what do I see? A colleague dealing with the same crap, in one of the most important threads we've had here!

Joshua, you aren't going to change Rawn's mind. Let it go, it's not worth it.

Rawn, I don't know you and have never dealt with you. You are completely entitled to your opinions. And I am completely entitled to think you're an ass.

Ken
earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

earlywynnfan
07-24-2012, 08:35 AM
To clout: I knew I'd get a much smaller paycheck than if I took my abilities and went into business. I feel it's a fair tradeoff with the perks of the job. I actually consider my pay to be fair; I'd love to make more, and my checks have been getting smaller recently instead of larger, but so have everyone else's. Maybe it's just my circle, but I don't know any teacher who brings up salary unless being attacked.

Ken

sayhey24
07-24-2012, 08:48 AM
My kids have had so many wonderful teachers who have made a huge impact on their lives (and of course one or two who haven't measured up -- as would be the case in any profession).

I find it interesting that the poster who is so critical of teachers and so impressed with his own education can't spell simple words like cemetery, hypocrite and religion, and also doesn't know the difference between principle and principal.

Greg

thekingofclout
07-24-2012, 09:09 AM
To clout: I knew I'd get a much smaller paycheck than if I took my abilities and went into business. I feel it's a fair tradeoff with the perks of the job. I actually consider my pay to be fair; I'd love to make more, and my checks have been getting smaller recently instead of larger, but so have everyone else's. Maybe it's just my circle, but I don't know any teacher who brings up salary unless being attacked.

Ken

Understood Ken. My brother was a Music Teacher and he took related jobs for the whole 30 years he taught. For the many good to great years our economy thrived, my customers were very generous to me as I always have provided first-rate service to the tippers and non-tippers. I've always treated everyone with respect until they show me different (same goes for here), and the tips have been a byproduct of good respectful service. I've been grateful for every dollar I've ever gotten and I have never let the size of the tip dictate the size of the thank you.

However, this weak economy has slashed my income 60% and I still give the same great service, but since my customers (the ones I still have :() are making far less money than they used to, it goes without saying that it would effect me and anyone else that lives on tips. I'm very thankful that I still have a job and that people still want to give me money. :)

Were all in this together, no matter what we do for a living. I hope we make good choices this November to help get us out of this mess.

Wite3
07-24-2012, 09:10 AM
I also knew my pay would be smaller...but I was okay with that as opposed to sitting in a cubicle all day and doing engineering work (I was a physics major in college at one point with a minor in chemical engineering)...

What I am not okay with is people telling me that I have a easy job and we get paid a fair wage for what we do. We arguably have the most important job in the world, safeguarding and teaching children. No children/no future. I think we should get paid more...yes. Will getting paid more make what we do any less important or easier? Nope. My job stays the same whether I get paid minimum wage or millions and it has never been easy. Rewarding yes. Easy no.

Joshua

carrigansghost
07-24-2012, 09:38 AM
Well guys, I can only speak from my experiences here in this little corner of the world. I worked for my local school district for four years and have never seen any of the workings of schools in other areas. The teachers in my area have it pretty good. The tenure factor, the pay and benefits are well above the median of the general population of the workforce for the area.

My son will be entering his freshman year of high school. He got his first B this past year and is an outstanding P/1B/hitter for the local teams. He is planning on studying law.

In my job, I spend up to 200 days a year on the road working in conditions ranging from the southern border in the heat of summer with armed guards protecting us to the northern border in the winter where we have to snowshoe in to the sites to work.

As I have stated, there are many teachers that I will never forget and they will always have my respect. I guess I have offended some on this board and offer my appology.

Rawn